Micro Distilleries in Washington State

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hawke
retired

Micro Distilleries in Washington State

Post by Hawke »

In the last few years, there has been an explosion of new, small distilleries in the state.
A recent law has allowed for small operations to get a $100 state permit, along with the Fed permit, to produce up to 20,000 proof gallons per year.
To sell product through the bottle shops, you have to produce enough to supply all of the shops in the state. The law does allow the sale of 1.5 Litres per person, per visit to the distillery, if you are not able to meet the statewide sales criteria. (Along with local sales to bars, through the state stores.)
Maybe one step closer to home distilling?
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
HookLine
retired

Re: Micro Distilleries in Washington State

Post by HookLine »

Maybe one step closer to home distilling?
Hope springs eternal.

As much of a cynic as I usually am, I still think things can sometimes change for the better.
To sell product through the bottle shops, you have to produce enough to supply all of the shops in the state.
Though this requirement seems a little tough, and pointless.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

HookLine wrote:Though this requirement seems a little tough, and pointless.
Almost like being set up for failure.

I am reminded of dunder's comment about a "1 gallon maximum boiler size" from a previous thread.

Set up for failure perhaps. I recon the movement is good though.

An exercise in habitualizing all parties involoved. Getting the nay sayers comfortable to fact that the sky is not falling.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I think there are 186 State stores.
If you had a 100 gallon pot, it wouldn't take too long to get 200 cases together.
The other rule I forgot to mention, 51% of the feedstock must be produced in the state. (corn, grain, taters, beets or fruit)
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

How doable would that be with a customer base I wonder?

one bottle a week sold per store and pretty soon a fella would be working his ass off. Never mind distribution.

When do ya get to age your likker?

Recon thats a good problem to have if your going to give it a go.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

If you are going to do it for a living, you would need to work your butt off. (Just ask Uncle Jesse)
It would probably be best to start by producing vodka for release, while you build a stock for aging.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I WISH they would do that here! I tried to go legal a while back and ran into massive roadblocks.
Basically they wanted guarantee's of like 100 workers and a million bucks for start up.

The amount of likker required is not the issue though. Seperate buildings on commercial lots with no residence around is one issue. (you have to buy land as property zoned commercial/residential gets nixed) Also storage of flammable liquids has lots of rules as well as getting bottle suppliers to sell you 500 bottles or so. (most want cash up front and only sell in lots of 20,000 - 50,000 bottles at $1.50-$2.50 ea.) Do YOU have $30-$50,000 just to sit in stock?

I'll agree that opening it up like that helps, but I would say it is a nice relief to a start up firm, not an incentive to someone who couldn't do it before and this made the difference.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

I see it as a good move in the right direction. The first steps are always the hardest. And Oregon and Washington states are the most progressive - usually far ahead of the curve. The bar must be a little high to join the club, naturally. But the trend for now is definately positive.
Micro brewers have carved out a very loyal following because they are superior in supplying the wants and needs of their customers compared to the corporate giants that are controlled by bean counters. The same will happen with micro distillers. Its is just a matter of time. Every tiny success by any one of them will help us all. As common people learn that small scale artisan distilleries produce superior products to the off-the-shelf-rubbing-alcohol that they so readilly buy then the tide will turn.
We need these small scale distilleries to not only survive but to thrive. Whenever possible we should try to help and support them.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Is you inferring we aught ta BUY likker Fester?? :shock:

I tried that once...dittent like it much tho! :lol:

Yeah, your right we should support these guys for the long term benefits...but still...BUY likker...<shudder>
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Your not buying likker, goinbroke2, your buying a nice bottle. They put the likker in it for free!
Last edited by Fester on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I've bought more likker since I started 'stillin', than I did in the previous 40 years.
I've got one heck of a collection of 1.5L corked bottles. :roll:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I go to a local bar and pick up bottles for free. Say I'm making swish as that's legal..I think..anyway it doesn't raise any eyebrows.