How long do you ferment your mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

0re0
Bootlegger

How long do you ferment your mash

Post by 0re0 »

i usually ferment about 10 - 14 days using a simple cornmeal, sugar, bakers yeast,tomato paste mixture that's been passed down by my great grandpappy
BUUUUUUUUUUURP!
My 1st Rum Run
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: How long do you ferment your mash

Post by LWTCS »

Been following Rad's lead and finishing in just a few days.

I can cook (sugar) on Sunday then (with time constraints),,,,,,,,,,,cook (likker) on the following Sunday.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I've had washes finish in 3 days, and others, 3 weeks. Type and temp make a difference.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
0re0
Bootlegger

Post by 0re0 »

true, true
Here in the southeast US

indoor summer = 70
indoor winter = 75

My mash usually stops bubbling like 7 - 10 days then I allow a couple days before I freeze settle everything and start my runs
BUUUUUUUUUUURP!
My 1st Rum Run
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I must be impatient... I'm forever checking on them like a doting mother... I know I should be content with ferments taking a week or so but I'm much more sane when they only take half that, or less... My last All Bran wash was done and cleared in 4 days so I ran it... Fermented to dry and the yeast had dropped... Not looking to get two full runs per week from the same fermenter, but I wouldn't complain if I could do it...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I'm pretty close to that Rad.
But I do like to let mine clear real good.

We don't get cold down here so I bet I could do 2 a week more often than not.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

my large volume sugar washes take 2 times as long to clear as they do to ferment. 1 week to ferment and atleast 2 weeks to clear, but that stuff is as clear as water. Apples take a long time!!! I dont recommend apples to the impatient ones. I am one of those, and it sucks! UJSM, i could ferment and strip 2 times a week in one fermenter with that shit, a little backset and that stuf goes crazy fast. Cheers MK
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

OK...let me please ask about this freezing method to settle and clear. With my creamed corn floating on top and laying on the bottom of fermenter...do I rack first, strain thru T-shirt first, freeze first? Thanks so much................The Village Idiot (Cornbread)
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

either way, but you do not want to freeze the wash ,, just git it as could as possible, racking is mostly a beer/wine thing .the yeast
are continually being replaced some dye and more grow, by racking you are removing the dead yeast that can give beer/wine off flavors.
if you have floaters, you can just skim those off,

Now if you are doing a UJSM type of ferment ,I whould rack it off as you want to save the yeast and you can start a new ferment
while you are waiting for that one to clear.

if you freeze the wash you you can kill the yeast.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Cornbread, very few folks bother with the freeze method, for various reasons... The main reason being that most washes wouldn't easily fit into a freezer... If anything, simply refrigerating, or setting out in the cold, will hasten clearing... Time, however, is the cheapest and easiest method of clearing... Once cleared, a wash should be racked, not filtered, for best results...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I go 2 to 3 weeks for a lot of my ferments. I live in a constanty cool climate, rarely gets over 65f hear, so i just have a lot of fermentors.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

Mine seem to take forever. I am using a standard wine-yeast. My All-bran has been going for about a week and is at 1030 and my Birdwatcher's is now at 1010 after three weeks.

(Birdwatcher's seemed to fare much better for me when it was at 30C rather than 25C.

Like Rad, I am always checking mine. I'm thinking of starting my next batch at 1060 rather than 1090 to get a dry ferment faster... maybe I should learn some patience :)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

My All Bran is typically done in 3 to 4 days. How much yeast are you pitching.
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

LWTCS wrote:My All Bran is typically done in 3 to 4 days. How much yeast are you pitching.
I'm doing a gallon trial-run at the moment, so I treated it the same as when I make wine. I used wine yeast (standard, nothing fancy) and used about 3-4 teaspoons per gallon.

Next time I'll try baker's yeast bomb (old habits die hard).

3-4 days would be great, especially for a 25l fermenter.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

one week. if it ain't finished, i run it anyway. if it is clear, fine. if not, OK too. I do everything on the same day of the week.
I use a lot of backset so if there are some sugars left, I recover some of them.
nothing fancy, though. UJSM or all grain, mostly corn. My yeast are trained now and it is survival of the fittest.
I never had a batch that wouldn't work off in a week, unless the weather is too cold. I might have gained a bit here and there had I waited, don't know.
If I do an experimental batch of something, like a fruit something, it always seems to monkey wrench the system.

Fester
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Generally I primary ferment for a week, and then rack to a secondary and let it settle out for a week then run it. But I usually don't dump floaty things into my fermenters like grain (i do the mash first etc.)

This has served me well in the past. But like has been said before, sometimes you have a fast ferment, sometimes a slow. A good thing to have around is a hydrometer, in case you have an idea that the ferment has not completed quite yet.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
plonker
Swill Maker

Post by plonker »

Im with rubber duck, get enough fermenters and it doesn't matter how long It takes.

Im always behind, always got something that needs running... right now I got 2 rums, 2 UJSSM and a single malt I just put on..
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

My molasses wash's usually ferment right out within around ten days, depending on weather. Currently the temperatures have been warmish (around 35c) so the time taken is probably a week. I don't fuss about it and just let it go until it's finished. There's no rush.
On the other hand, honey washes take months to finish in the cooler weather, but my latest ferment has been going for three weeks and is still fermenting, by keeping the nutrients up to it. Honey is notoriously slow to ferment out.

So, I guess the answer is that fermentation takes somewhere between a week and several months. If you get impatient the answer is to have - as previously suggested - several ferments going at the same time.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
shotshell12
Novice

Post by shotshell12 »

Big thanks to all that posted here yall told me a bunch i did let it stop working but i did not give it time to settle and i am using my corm meal for the second time and it is sizzling this is a lot of fun
good luck to all and happy thanks giving shot