question on DADY yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hillbilly Jim
Novice

question on DADY yeast

Post by hillbilly Jim »

I bought a lb. of DADY yeast from Midwest Supplies. The label says to use 1 to 2 lbs. to every 1000 gallons of mash. My calculations show 16 grams to 20 gallons. Can that be right? That seems like an awfully small amount for 20 gallons of wash. I intend to start simple with a sugar type wash and learn how to do this slowly.

Thanks for the help, fellas!
rad14701
retired

Re: question on DADY yeast

Post by rad14701 »

For a slow clean ferment 16 grams would be enough for a 20 gallon wash... More yeast, to an extent, will result in a quicker ferment without imparting off smells or flavors... 16 grams is just over two standard bakers or wine making sachets which are usually in the range of 7 grams... I generally pitch 1 - 2 tablespoons of bakers yeast per gallon and we have recipes here that use far more yeast than that... With brute force pitching a distiller might pitch over a cup of yeast into a wash in the 20 gallon range... With proper nutrients and aeration that much yeast shouldn't be necessary, however...