Copper Flange

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Copper Flange

Post by Bsnapshot »

I see this sight with a copper flange that could possibly used to attach a copper head to a SS pot. Dose anyone know if this one would be OK to use?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33171 ... 1-2_Flange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me.
And I am *not* intoxicated... yet!
olddog
retired

Re: Copper Flange

Post by olddog »

Its made from a copper alloy, and it states "for non-drinking water", I think that should be a warning for you. A hell of a price too, I would rather make my "easy flange", costs nothing except the time to make it.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
CoOkEd
Novice

Post by CoOkEd »

It states that the flange is made with copper alloy C84400. It contains 7% lead as per this site: http://www.efunda.com/glossary/material ... c84400.cfm
UNS C84400 is a Leaded Semi-Red Brass grade Cast Copper Alloy. It is composed of (in weight percentage) 81% Copper (Cu), 3% Tin (Sn), 7% Lead (Pb), and 9% Zinc (Zn). Other designations of UNS C84400 copper alloy include UNS C84400 and ASTM B584.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Yum...!!! Lead and Zinc... Sign me up... NOT...!!!
Bsnapshot
Swill Maker

Post by Bsnapshot »

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to get other opinions
I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me.
And I am *not* intoxicated... yet!
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

If you have the money and don't mind spending it to make somthing that looks real nice you can call Grainger they have the tri clamps and copper tri clamp fittings. Best of all no goverment watch list. They might not know what you are talking about at first so you should pick up one of their books and have your order ready when you call.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Been thinking about that flange if you insert the pipe all the way in and do a good solder job on it it should seal it well enough to keep the flange matireal out of the vapour path. But as I've been told many times the choice is yours to make. There are better alternitives.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

Govt watchlist???? what are you talking about and how can one find out more info about who is on a "watchlist"??? :shock: :!:
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

toofless wrote:Govt watchlist???? what are you talking about and how can one find out more info about who is on a "watchlist"??? :shock: :!:
I think pumpman was referring to the fact that the government can have access to all breshop records upon demand... That means if you buy from them you could end up on a watchlist depending on what your purchase... BATF doesn't need a warrant for record access due to licensing as I recall...
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

ahhh, i see. that makes sense. thanks.
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
cornwhiskey
Novice

Post by cornwhiskey »

Bsnapshot wrote:I see this sight with a copper flange that could possibly used to attach a copper head to a SS pot. Dose anyone know if this one would be OK to use?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33171 ... 1-2_Flange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here is what you want.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-pipe-fl ... es/=5ef1gn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Buy the 1" and use a copper reducer if you want a larger diameter column. Since it's the cheapest one.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

by pumpman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

If you have the money and don't mind spending it to make somthing that looks real nice you can call Grainger they have the tri clamps and copper tri-clamp fittings
Pumpman (or anyone else for that matter), can you share some insight on the fittings from Grainger? I have searched the Grainger site and can't seem to come up with them.

thanks
WalkingWolf
Xzandius
Novice

Post by Xzandius »

I have the same flange on my still. I ordered it from Grainger. I did however insert a 2" copper pipe all the way through the flange before soldering. The pipe sticks into my SS lid to catch the vapors. Works great!
Mashy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mashy »

Just got a Mueller 2" flare tool for $39.99 off ebay. It is used but who cares, it's solid steel. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

I do have one question though. Is reaming necessary to get the right flare? I'm not thinking so but just want to be sure.

Thanks
Mashy

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”