Pot Still Gasket / Seal

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

proudmary
Novice

Pot Still Gasket / Seal

Post by proudmary »

Yep... Another Gasket Question.. Sorry..

I am almost done with my pot still and need to get a gasket to hold a seal between the pot and the lid. The entire thing has been hand made, the pot lip is fairly smooth but the lid was hammered, annealed, hammered, annealed, and therefore is not perfectly smooth. I have spent a couple hours reading through numerous threads on the the subject. Some people have suggested cork gasket material while others say that the glue could be harmful. Others suggest teflon and others disagree, some people suggest silicone (once cured the viniger smell goes away) other say no silicone. Some suggest surgical tubing and someone also disagreed with it. Seems like the only thing everyone agrees on was flour and water.. I think even that may have been shot down though. :)

So after hours of reading and research I find myself in the same place as when I started this journey, no good way to seal the lid to the pot.

Here are two options im looking at:

1) RTV Silicone around the brim of the lid and let cure. Trim excess and BAM - I have a gasket.

2) Easy and Clean method - Couple feet or tubing that could be slit/cut long way and placed over the lip on the pot.

I have found some FDA Approved tubing, see below:

http://www.rubberfab.com/tubing_rf_tpr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
or
http://www.graylineinc.com/search-for-t ... d-tpv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Not to stir up another gasket discussion thread but im not sure how to seal this thing..

Thanks!
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Pot Still Gasket / Seal

Post by kiwistiller »

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with flour paste as a safe option. As far as synthetics go, PTFE (teflon) is really the only one that has been well researched, a couple of members have run mass spec's on it, etc etc. You should treat al synthetics (especially non-PTFE options) with due caution & suspicion until you are satisfied with the evidence that it is safe. There is some interesting research being done on a very specific type of surgical tubing in the materials safety forum, you could check that out.

And to save everyone some time, here is the standard response to the FDA approval:
Everybody wrote: does the FDA approve those products for contact with high temp ethanol and other solvents???
Good luck with the research,
Kiwi
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

You NZ folks just seem to take a slight measure of pleasure 8) when wishing the rest of us luck when researching anything having to do with high temp/high concentration alcohol. Or maybe it's just me. :mrgreen:

WalkingWolf
proudmary
Novice

Post by proudmary »

This site has some hoses that are made for breweries and food service, alcohol tollerant up to 96%.

S & D Hose For Food & Beverages – Alcohol (>96%) Drinking Water Etc

See site:

http://www.gammahose.com/IndustryApplic ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

May not work for my application, but clearly they are out there.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

proudmary wrote:This site has some hoses that are made for breweries and food service, alcohol tollerant up to 96%.
Gamma Hose wrote:Transfer/Unloading
That statement does not imply that their hose is tolerant of high temperature high %ABV alcohol vapor... We haven't found a single manufacturer who has made that claim in an MSDS document... This is an ongoing issue of people thinking they've found that magic tube/hose out there yet to date is has not been proven to exist... Go ahead and call them and see if they are willing to provide documentation sating that their product is safe with ~172F/78C - ~212F/100C alcohol vapor (vapor, not liquid)...
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

how about a rope seal (cotton or hemp)???
thinking inside the box is for squares....
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

WalkingWolf wrote:You NZ folks just seem to take a slight measure of pleasure 8) when wishing the rest of us luck when researching anything having to do with high temp/high concentration alcohol. Or maybe it's just me. :mrgreen:
WalkingWolf
haha I hadn't until you mentioned it... I'm more happy to act as an email proxy for anyone doing legwork researching synthetics, but I'm not really interested in doing it myself as I'm happy with my PTFE triclamp gaskets and have no need of anything else. So you write the request, I'll act as the NZ address to send the request from. If you want.
ozone39 wrote:how about a rope seal (cotton or hemp)???
I seem to recall someone advocating a cotton gasket soaked in a watery flour paste.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Proudmary,

It takes just a few minutes only to prep some paste. And its dang near full proof.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Thanks Kiwi. I might take you up on the NZ address bit in the future. Like you, I'm satisfied with my gaskets and tri-clamps.

WW
Mark Ducati
Novice

Post by Mark Ducati »

Hey, what about using simple TYGON tubing from Home Depot? They have various diameters and the stuff is pretty hearty... should work and not melt?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Flour Paste is easy, clean and safe.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Mark Ducati wrote:Hey, what about using simple TYGON tubing from Home Depot? They have various diameters and the stuff is pretty hearty... should work and not melt?
Do a site search for Tygon and I think you'll find that it has been discussed and not found to be tolerant of high temperature high proof alcohol... Again, for what seems like the 10th time this week, we haven't found a synthetic hose/tubing that can handle hot caustic alcohol vapor...
rad14701 wrote:. . . As per the manufacturers specifications, Tygon 2075 is only rated to 125F/52C . . .
That quote pertains to their best product as I recall...
Mark Ducati
Novice

Post by Mark Ducati »

Here ya go:)

http://www.marcorubber.com/silicone.htm

Silicone O-Rings temps good to 232 deg F, and up to 17" diameter :)

Hope this helps,
M.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Doesn't help unless there is MSDS documentation, or equivalent... I'm searching and not finding - yet...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

mark ducati, proud mary do a search using "ptfe o-ring" interplast inc. gos to 15" in ptfe. c.o.b.
be water my friend
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

flour paste... it works great. after you have done it a few times its not a problem. The trick I have found is dont ad to much water, keep it fairly dry much easier to work with.
Thorn_veritas
Swill Maker

Post by Thorn_veritas »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............. the old "but i found this that works and the manufacturer says its safe line" what a crock off bullshit of course they are goin to say it is fine they want your $$$$$$$. like people before me have said unless it says it on a MSDS: Material Saftey Data Sheet ( and none do ) they are full of it!!!!!!! stick with what work flour water there done sealed and perfect and no god damn plastic!!!!!!!!

when we log onto this site there should be a page that pops up with big bright red writing saying: no plastic you damn fool! and saftey is priority number 1 then drinking but saftey first!
newerbrewer
Novice

Post by newerbrewer »

+1 for flour paste. Use it.
Roger from Va
Novice

Post by Roger from Va »

This is not rocket science guys... Here is what I use:

FDA compliant and NSF-certified O-ring meets ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for water transmission and JMLU2 for use in natural gas, diesel fuel, fuel oil, lubricating oil, and LP gas applications.
Viton® Fluoroelastomer—FDA-compliant. Good for high-temperature applications. Temp. range is -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A60. Color is white.

Checkout the spec sheet - they are FDA approved and impervious to alcohol.

You can buy them online from McMaster Carr here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3509/=qqxxyp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Roger from Va wrote:This is not rocket science guys... Here is what I use:

FDA compliant and NSF-certified O-ring meets ANSI/NSF Standard 61 for water transmission and JMLU2 for use in natural gas, diesel fuel, fuel oil, lubricating oil, and LP gas applications.
Viton® Fluoroelastomer—FDA-compliant. Good for high-temperature applications. Temp. range is -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A60. Color is white.

You can buy them online from McMaster Carr here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3509/=qqxxyp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Didnt see the spec sheet about alcohol could you direct me to it . Also welcome to hd first post should be in welcome center
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

None of those ratings are for any product that would be ingested by a human being... No mention about food-safe or consumable alcohol safe... Think about it...!!! Point us to an MSDS that explicitly states such and perhaps you can make us believers, but not until...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That would be nice if only alcohol came into contact with my seals, but that isn't the case. Acetone gets there first.
Roger from Va
Novice

Post by Roger from Va »

rad14701 wrote:

None of those ratings are for any product that would be ingested by a human being... No mention about food-safe or consumable alcohol safe... Think about it...!!! Point us to an MSDS that explicitly states such and perhaps you can make us believers, but not until...
I wrote a detailed explanation with references to all the information that I have regarding the O rings but for some reason it was deleted. Anyway, I won't go through the detailed explanation again but here is a link to the MSDS report for the O-rings I use. http://www.edwardsvacuum.com/uploadedFi ... -Viton.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

rad14701, it turns out that these o-rings I use can literally be ingested by a human being - see MSDS Page 2, Number 4.
Roger from Va
Novice

Post by Roger from Va »

NZChris wrote:That would be nice if only alcohol came into contact with my seals, but that isn't the case. Acetone gets there first.
I want to thank everyone for challenging the O- rings I use. Your skepticism has helped me to do more research and I have found even better FDA approved o rings that are even more resistant to chemicals - FEP-Encapsulated O-Rings. A MSDS report can be found here: http://www.chesterton.com/Product%20Doc ... 010_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The gaskets can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#fep-encapsulat ... gs/=qrgky8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Note: click on the "General Properties of O Ring Materials" at the top of the page to get resistance information pertaining to Alcohol, Ketones, acids, etc. The FEP column is third from the right on the table.

NZChris - you probably already know this but Acetone is a form of Ketone which is shown on the above referenced table.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Roger from Va wrote:
rad14701 wrote:

I wrote a detailed explanation with references to all the information that I have regarding the O rings but for some reason it was deleted. Anyway, I won't go through the detailed explanation again but here is a link to the MSDS report for the O-rings I use. http://www.edwardsvacuum.com/uploadedFi ... -Viton.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

rad14701, it turns out that these o-rings I use can literally be ingested by a human being - see MSDS Page 2, Number 4.
Im looking into why your post was deleted.Were training some new guys and mistakes are going to happen.While Im old schooled and wont change my habits I'm sure theirs man made materials out there that can be used in our hobby besides Teflon ( we went along with that because a chemist member here tested it ) I don't use it either.Getting fokes to trust the info gonna be the hard part.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
abaginone
Novice

Post by abaginone »

What about going to get some food grade silicone molding material and make your own gaskets.
Aaron_the_distiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aaron_the_distiller »

abaginone wrote:What about going to get some food grade silicone molding material and make your own gaskets.
Hey i think thi might work.... FDA approved Silicon Rubber sheet. Various thicknesses, various sizes. Compliant wth several federal codes and regualtions....no MSDS as ive found, yet... Still lookin...

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/silicone ... roved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Make it slow, drink it fast!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If you had read the duels we live by. You would know this goes against those rules. And its been covered over and over and over. And always ends up as a flame war.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Aaron_the_distiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aaron_the_distiller »

Well it was just a thought. Looks to be safe but im not gonna pay $45 for a sheet of it to make one gasket and it not work
Make it slow, drink it fast!