Tomato Beer, Brandy???

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CyberPirate
Novice

Tomato Beer, Brandy???

Post by CyberPirate »

I saw a recipe for a Tomato Beer in the book More Mountain Spirits, has anyone tried this, and if you have, would it make some kind of brandy?? Thanks for any info.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Tomato Beer, Brandy???

Post by goose eye »

ole boys make wine but they aint ever charged none

so im tole
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

Tomato Beer ought to go in that same book with Bacon Vodka. LOL :D
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I think tomato paste based sugar washes taste okay about halfway through the ferment (= about 5% abv). You would need to stop the ferment and remove the yeast to make it properly drinkable, But the taste was alright, bit sweet, but quite drinkable.

But don't taste so good after fully fermenting out (10% abv).
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Did a little looking ,, tomato beer is beer with tomato added ,from what i could fiend,(also called red beer)
but they do make tomato wine witch is tomato ,sugar a variety of other fruits like oranges.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

CyberPirate wrote:I saw a recipe for a Tomato Beer in the book More Mountain Spirits, has anyone tried this, and if you have, would it make some kind of brandy?? Thanks for any info.
I've been thinking about that, too.

There are a lot of tomato growers within forty kilometers of my place (one small scale grower in my town) and I could possibly get heaps of them that are just too ripe for tomato sauce/ketchup.

Maybe even get a pick-up full of them from one of the processors - for our pigs, of course....

Perhaps with a comparatively small quantity of sugar, a little water, and some soda to adjust the high acid pH.
The Baker
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

at 2.6% sugar I thank your going to have to add more than a "little" sugar. you better figure almost the same as a sugar wash with tomatoes as flavor.
I don't know what they weigh but say 50lb to the bushel, that whould take two bushel to be the same as 2.6 lb of sugar.or a little over 1kg
so you whould have about 1.8 abv wash . so you whould git maybe 1L of 50% alcohol out of 1o gal. (40L) wash. by the you figure loss and cuts?

(these are just estaments)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Dnderhead wrote:at 2.6% sugar I thank your going to have to add more than a "little" sugar. you better figure almost the same as a sugar wash with tomatoes as flavor.
I don't know what they weigh but say 50lb to the bushel, that whould take two bushel to be the same as 2.6 lb of sugar.or a little over 1kg
so you whould have about 1.8 abv wash . so you whould git maybe 1L of 50% alcohol out of 1o gal. (40L) wash. by the you figure loss and cuts?

(these are just estaments)
Thanks, Dnderhead, you have certainly lowered my enthusiasm for that idea!
Doesn't look as though it would be worth the effort.
The Baker
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

most fruits and vegetables are not that high in sugar. most fruits are 6-10% with a few exceptions like dates.
same way with veges. most are lower, there exceptions like jerusalem artichoke, possibly beets. most
taste sweet not because of high sugar but because of a combination of acids and sugars that enhance each other.
Iv had some request for "all fruit" witch can be done but with low yield. take peaches or cherries, their about
12% sugar, so you'd have about 10% wash, that will give you 10gal (40L)alcohol per. 100 hundred gal. (400L) of wash.
that is not that bad, but unless you have access to lots of fruit cheep its not worth it. so do not go to your local
store and buy a bag of fruit and expect to make something out of it. I'm working on a way to do this but do to
weather I'm sitting on my ideas until spring.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Cornbread wrote:Tomato Beer ought to go in that same book with Bacon Vodka. LOL :D
Couldnt have said it better myself :D
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I'm tellin ya, The BLT.

Hangover cure on the sunday brunch menu.

You try it first.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Cornbread
Swill Maker

Post by Cornbread »

OH MY GOD YOU ARE RIGHT Lettuce Wine
2 1/2 lbs / 1,100 grams lettuce - including red lettuce
3 lbs / 1,350 grams sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
Wine yeast
8 pints / 1 gallon water

Wash and chop lettuces. It is important to include red lettuces, to give the lettuce wine a rose colour. Add the lettuce to a saucepan of boiling water and simmer for around 15 minutes. Strain lettuce liquor thoroughly and pour into winemaking fermentation bucket. Add all of the remaining lettuce wine ingredients, except for the wine yeast, and stir vigorously to dissolve all of the sugar.

When the lettuce wine mixture has cooled to room temperature, add the activated wine yeast to begin fermentation. Stir the lettuce wine 'must' twice daily for three days and then transfer to demijohn. Rack after two months, and then again two more times until completely clear and stable. Bottle lettuce wine and allow to stand for several months before drinking.
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
Cornbread
Swill Maker

Post by Cornbread »

You gotta try it LWTCS, before MuleKicker beats you to it. The BLT...Bacon Vodka, Lettuce wine, and Tomato beer.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

and a glass of kefir on the side?
ArcticTern
Novice

Post by ArcticTern »

i couldnt resist trying a beer; tomatoe paste wash...
it's around 8 percent abv atm. so i had to try. abit sweet still of course; but not too shabby at all.
i'll prolly spike for the hockey game; but alas'; it's not bad as is at all.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Not on the side Dnder.

Layered in between each stratos

Yah,,,,,,,,you test it first CB
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
CyberPirate
Novice

Post by CyberPirate »

Thanks very much for the help, yall are a right, dont look like it would work too well, but it was worth asking about, again thanks for the advice.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Interesting thread. We had a very good tomato crop this year and the thought had occured to me. I've decided that eating the buggers is the best way to ingest tomatoes. :)

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.