Jack Daniel's 100% Oak Barrel Smoke Chips

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Jack Daniel's 100% Oak Barrel Smoke Chips

Post by toofless one »

I ran across some JD Oak barrel chips used for smoking while barbecueing. Has anyone seen these or used these? I found em at the supermarket and, well, you know what i thought. havent made a sour mash or whisky yet, but after seeing these, really made me reconsider, seeing as how white oak is hard to come by out here in the boondocks!!

EDIT: Shoulda done a search before makin a post. :roll: its all there before me. Thats what i get for taking a break from the HD website!
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Jack Daniel's 100% Oak Barrel Smoke Chips

Post by LWTCS »

toofless wrote:Thats what i get for taking a break from the HD website!
I know.........Where ya been toof?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

occasionally lurking in the background. have been doing sugar washes successfully and just doing my thing. kinda like i learned how to walk, now i dont need mom and dad to hold my hand....HOWEVER! I have been doing alot of thinking about corn mashes lately, so im sure you all will be seeing me again! I dont have the copper working skills (or copper working budget!) to post up new projects every so often like some of the talented folks here, so that may contribute to my absence as well! good to be back though. i miss it.
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
NO1DLR
Novice

Post by NO1DLR »

I've used that oak before and it tastes fine. It's much cheaper than buying oak from the brewshops.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'm assuming that the barrel stave's are run through a chipper. Assuming that this is the case, what if the outside of the barrel was treated with fungicide or paint? Anything that was on the outside of the barrel will be on the inside of your jar.

I'm not comfortable using them because I don't know how or if JD treats their barrels.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NO1DLR
Novice

Post by NO1DLR »

rubber duck wrote:I'm assuming that the barrel stave's are run through a chipper. Assuming that this is the case, what if the outside of the barrel was treated with fungicide or paint? Anything that was on the outside of the barrel will be on the inside of your jar.

I'm not comfortable using them because I don't know how or if JD treats their barrels.
The Essencia oak has JD oak in it.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

That's good to know NO1DLR.

Do you happen to have a link with any info?

Thanks RD

Edit. I found it http://aussiebrewer.com.au/index.php?op ... cle&id=183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm still not convinced so I'm going to keep looking If anyone has info on how these chips are processed or if the barrels are treated I would like to know.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
snookfinken
Novice

Post by snookfinken »

I've actually gone to the jackdaniels distillery and can safely say that the wooden barrels have no preservatives in them what so ever. They are trying to make a good whiskey so why would they add anything that might make it bad in or outside the barrels. The guide that led us around said that they simpley run the barrels through a chipper and package them taking the metal off obviously. I've never used them but I'm planning on it as soon as I get done withy new still.
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

Seems to me that if the barrels were treated with paint or chemicals it'd be illegal for jd to sell them for use in food preparation
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
NO1DLR
Novice

Post by NO1DLR »

The Essencia oak is better but it's over 4 times the price of the JD oak.
marc83
Bootlegger

Post by marc83 »

Have just put 3L of 40% on 500g Essencia chunks,just over a day on them so far and nice colour and smell.will be trying a couple of different things with the finished product.Will let it soak for 8 days or so then filter it off.Will soak another 2.3L on the same chunks and let sit for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes,may add an essence to the second lot,see what happens i guess.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

2-3 weeks is not enough, you need at least a couple of months for that wet stick taste to dissapear and the smooth vanilla taste to appear.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
cluey
Novice

Post by cluey »

Just got me a bag, twice the size of the oaking products in my brewstore at a third the price.

No I would be money there is no harmful chemicals added to these barrels, after all they have to "breathe" and why would jack take the chance of some harmful chemical leaching through into their whiskey, that would be all the need to ruin their rep. gotta use a little common sense sometimes.
NO1DLR
Novice

Post by NO1DLR »

marc83 wrote:Have just put 3L of 40% on 500g Essencia chunks,just over a day on them so far and nice colour and smell.will be trying a couple of different things with the finished product.Will let it soak for 8 days or so then filter it off.Will soak another 2.3L on the same chunks and let sit for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes,may add an essence to the second lot,see what happens i guess.
You'd be better off buying a seal-able 10L bucket and putting 500g of oak in that and then fill it up with neutral. Leave it for 2 or 3 weeks and it should be mint.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

I've tried these chips made out of used burbon barrels and have to say that I am impressed, I know they are a little pricey but just had to try em and I'm glad I did. MM http://www.milehidistilling.com/Product ... Code=85200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

went to an ACE hardware store where they were supposed to sell the JD chips. they were out of em but when i was leaving i saw huge piles of firewood out back. i asked what kind of wood it was and they told me it was red oak. anyone tried using this? i still havent been able to find white oak anywhere but homebrew shops and its expensive!
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

red oak is very "tanic" not the sweet Caramel most are looking for.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Where are you at Irishmike ?
I could send you a stick of 2 year old white oak.
I cut some up recently, charred it , and used it in a all-grain bourbon. this is what it looked like after a couple weeks.
09-aug29-Picture 052.jpg
Cheers, NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

my god NC thats beautiful! Im in Va Beach. you in NC i assume?
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

irishmike wrote:went to an ACE hardware store where they were supposed to sell the JD chips. they were out of em but when i was leaving i saw huge piles of firewood out back. i asked what kind of wood it was and they told me it was red oak. anyone tried using this? i still havent been able to find white oak anywhere but homebrew shops and its expensive!
Having the same problem here. Took the plunge and bought some of these. Aint free but better'n nuttin.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

irishmike wrote:my god NC thats beautiful! Im in Va Beach. you in NC i assume?
Thanks Irish, I'm pretty proud of that color myself. :)
WalkingWolf wrote: Having the same problem here. Took the plunge and bought some of these. Aint free but better'n nuttin.
Thats not a bad deal Wolf, 10 bucks and he did all the work for ya. ... I recon Carolina white oak makes a better drink though. ;)

cheers,
NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.