Patchy Red Neck and Face After Cheap Likker

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Patchy Red Neck and Face After Cheap Likker

Post by toofless one »

Howdy howdy howdy,
Had a very strange thing happen to me recently. Wife bought one of those cheap malt beverages in the tall boy can with 10%ABV. I drank about half of it and my neck, back, chest, and face turned bright red and patchy very shortly after drinking it. Had that happen about 5 years ago after drinking some Popov vodka. Only it was worse back then.

The next night, after the malt beverage incident, i mixed up a drink with the tail end of a hearts run. a little tails got in it and fouled it so i was saving it becuase it tasted a little tailsy and i was gonna throw it in the next run. guess what? i got all patchy and red again. chalked it up to being impure alcohol, ie too much tails. the rest of the batch was awesome, but that was long gone. online search found only anecdotal evidence of why this happens, so im wondering...

Anyone else experiance this?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
CyberPirate
Novice

Re: Patchy Red Neck and Face After Cheap Likker

Post by CyberPirate »

Naw sir, ive never heard of that one before, but while were talking about weird stuff happening from drinking, how come, every time i drink any alcohol, whether its store bought or homemade, and i mean beer, hard stuff, anything, i have to use the bathroom, and i dont mean to pee?? and it hits me the morning after too, agravating as heck, but not enough to make me quit, :lol:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Toof,
Are you the canary in the coal mine?
Use you as a barometer fer an evaluation?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

to the both of you, Id say its a allergic reactions, your body saying, don't do that to me!I want to git rid of that stuff.
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Dnderhead wrote:to the both of you, Id say its a allergic reactions, your body saying, don't do that to me!I want to git rid of that stuff.
I dont wanna say its an allergic reaction. it doesnt happen all the time, maybe in the last 500 times ive had a drink, its happened 2 times...i guess i can say 1 in 250. seems to happen with less than average booze. i was thinking that maybe the cheaper booze purveyors dont take much care with cuts, if at all like some whiskies, bad stuff gets in and im just sensitive to those things. case in point: my good hearts and vodka such as skyy or smirnoff dont irritate me, but when i had some less than desireable booze that i distilled, it happened. its just the damnedest thing. :?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
northcountry
Novice

Post by northcountry »

Maybe sulfites. I'm allergic, and break out in hives. Don't use the camden tablets (sulfites) when making wine, and always bought the sulfite free wine (Frey). Read that to some it can be deadly? Also read that natural occouring sulfites are in wine, but that don't bother me, just the added stuff.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Dnderhead wrote:to the both of you, Id say its a allergic reactions, your body saying, don't do that to me!I want to git rid of that stuff.
I'd be very leary. I agree with Dnderhead as this has the markings of an allergic reaction and if your throat starts swelling shut you'll be in a bind.

Explain to the wife, if your buying, that you can only have what has been proven to be the select of the premium choices :ewink: . No "good" deals. If your making, then it's your call.

be careful
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Im feeling ok with what I make or (ugh) acceptable store bought likker. It just appears to be from less than average likker. For example: Friday brother in law and myself shared a botle of jim beam and a bottle smirnoff (late night woke up feeling less than proper). Had no adverse reactions whatsoever with the exception of a crushed barbecue, upon which he "fell" on :mrgreen: . Im just going to stick with what i know, as these dont seem to cause any reactions.

its just weird that only happens once in a great great while and only when its poor quality alcohol.. :?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""only happens once in a great great while and only when its poor quality alcohol..""
that is what I'm saying, not that your allergic to ethanol, but that you mite be allergic to something else that is in the "pore grade"something that they left in or added.
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Dnder: Thats what im startin to think as well. I found through online searches that there is a large percentage of Asian people (im not asian though) that genetically have a hard time breaking down some enzyme found in alcohols (cant remember which enzyme) and exhibit these same symptoms. makes me wonder...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

toofless wrote:Dnder: Thats what im startin to think as well. I found through online searches that there is a large percentage of Asian people (im not asian though) that genetically have a hard time breaking down some enzyme found in alcohols (cant remember which enzyme) and exhibit these same symptoms. makes me wonder...
Might be an Asian skeleton in your family closet somewhere!

I took a visitor from China to lunch in a winery and she didn't want to drink wine but took a taste of a couple. Perhaps a small mouthful of each. And she got quite red in the face.

Looking into family history can be fun. My wife's great-uncle was hanged for murder.

On a city tour in Perth, Western Australia, the bus stopped at the memorial to a murdered goldfields inspector, and I said, 'Yes, my wife and her sister here are related to one of the murderers!'

She found two occasions in her family where a child thought a girl was their sister and she was their mother. And her family name would have been different (don't know what) but great-grandmother was a single mum and gave her son her own parent's name.
The Baker