WTF

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

WTF

Post by olddog »

I called at my nearest brewshop to pick up some pectinase for winemaking, and was discussing stilling with the brewshop owner, he told me the only way to make a good spirit was to use liquid sucrose that he sells. I told him I used ordinary sugar and inverted it with a bit of water and lemon juice, I was then told that inverting sugar was dangerous and causes cancer, its no wonder some of the noobies come here confused.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
rubber duck
retired

Re: WTF

Post by rubber duck »

I'm just going to control the ptsd and say hmmmm, makes one wonder how much return business that shop gets.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Grumpy
Novice

Post by Grumpy »

Yep OD ,
It is unbelievable the amount of rubbish I had to sift through just to start to make home brew beer, between the brew shops and people that thought they knew best . .bad advise is plentiful .

If it wasn't for forums I would have given up a long time ago with beer and never would have attempted a still.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sadly,, that's kind of hilarious.

Did you debate that assertion with him mike? Or merely have a good chuckle, render payment and be on you way?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

olddog wrote:I was then told that inverting sugar was dangerous and causes cancer

Well that explains my 11th finger
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

LWTCS wrote:Did you debate that assertion with him mike? Or merely have a good chuckle, render payment and be on you way?
Its hard to have a sensible discussion with a guy with a shop full of distilling equipment with plastic parts.
I just paid and left.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

My wife, who knows me very well, would have grabbed my arm and said " Don't bother Dear."
I usually look at her and say "Do you think he speaks anything above 70?"
By the time they figure out I just insulted them, if they ever do, I'm already gone.
Had one guy chase me once, but seriously, who is gonna mess with a 20 Stone Scotsman?

Inverting sugars causes cancer? Man I guess that makes SPLENDA "Death in a Box"....;)
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

inverting sugar was dangerous and causes cancer,...
Except when yeast or bees or food manufacturers do it, apparently.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Nothing like "reliable disinformation" to boost sales... :| It's no wonder why some of us see the brew shop folks as greedy scoundrels... :roll:
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

HookLine wrote:
inverting sugar was dangerous and causes cancer,...
Except when yeast or bees or food manufacturers do it, apparently.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Soooooooo...the Bees are deliberately trying to give us cancer?
Whole damn insect world is turning against us.... :twisted:
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

He probably didn't believe what he was telling you himself. Trouble is, if he told you you could get something that worked just as well for a fraction of the price down at the local market, he wouldn't be in business for long, no matter how much you you respected him for being honest. V
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

The way I figure it if you can't afford to run a business honestly you can't afford to be in business.

A guy can only screw so many customers before he has no more customers.

The brew shop business is a bitch of a deal. Hard to make money honestly and can't stay in business long being dishonest.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

+1 RD well put. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

rubber duck wrote:The way I figure it if you can't afford to run a business honestly you can't afford to be in business.

A guy can only screw so many customers before he has no more customers.

The brew shop business is a bitch of a deal. Hard to make money honestly and can't stay in business long being dishonest.
Spot on. Couldn't agree more. V
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
jacdev
Novice

Post by jacdev »

Well..... when you talk so much bullshit, you begin to believe it :shock:
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

toofless wrote:
olddog wrote:I was then told that inverting sugar was dangerous and causes cancer
Well that explains my 11th finger
That 11th finger is just a mirage you get from double vision from drinking too much product.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

Sugar doesn't cause cancer, but cancer cells love to eat it to stay alive, they eat that first cause it's so easy. I use very little sugar in my 1 cup of jo per day, and limit all the sugar intake I can.