Copper Scrubbers

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Copper Scrubbers

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Hi all,

Ive seen on here that many people use copper pot scrubbers as a packing for thier reflux stills.

How do you guys pack it with the scrubbers? Do you just wedge the scrubber into the column or do you unravel the scrubber and roll it up and then put it into the column? Also do you guys preclean before the first use or clean the scrubbers after use?

I have a 2" X 40" SS column with a screen on the bottom, how many scrubbers would you guys recommend? I think they are a standard size everywhere, like 2.5" X 1".

I tried putting 3 (bottom, middle and top) into my column as they come out of the package (no unraveling, unrolling or anything) and my column would not heat up at all, atleast not at the top where the themometer is. I think it was packed too tight.

Nowhere here sells any rolls of copper mesh that I see on this site as a alternative to the pot scrubbers so that is out.
Elizabeth Swann: That's it, then? That's the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow - you spent three days lying on a beach drinking rum?
Jack Sparrow: Welcome to the Caribbean, love.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper Scrubbers

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Give this a try.

http://www.brewhaus.com/Copper-Mesh-P947.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Thanks Mud but as I said, I cant get that stuff any where around here. All thats around here is pot scrubbers and marbles. That the cons of living on a island in the caribbean.
Elizabeth Swann: That's it, then? That's the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow - you spent three days lying on a beach drinking rum?
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

If the scrubbers are pure copper, they should work fine, just find a way to unfold them and re-roll into a circle like shown from Brewhaus, stuff your column up to the reflux section and try to breathe through it. If you get plenty of air, the vapors should have no problem making the trip. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Thanks for the info Mud,

I have about 8 of um so I think that should be enough to do a test run and I definitely try the breath test before I put the column on the boiler.

Thanks again
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

CaymanRumBaron, you need to pack the entire lower column, from the boiler to the top of the column, with only a small open space below the condenser head...

I slip mine into place using an arrow shaft and never let them pack too tightly... Properly seated and tensioned there will be more friction between the scrubber and the column wall than between the scrubber and the arrow shaft, allowing easy shaft removal...
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

thats funny Rad, I use an old arrow shaft to shove 'em down there too.

I use 6 of the copper ones in the 24" tower, evenly spaced, so I recon there's about an inch or so between each one . Works like a charm.

NcHooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Amphora could probably send you mesh if you want it.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

I've used stainless steel scrubbers for years. No problems.

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
CaymanRumBaron
Novice

Post by CaymanRumBaron »

Rad and NcHooch,

Do you guys pack them in the form they come from the shop or do you unroll them and reroll them?

I unrolled one and they unroll like a condom (pretty sure we all know how one looks) with a little knot on top. All together about 10" long and 3" wide.

I am just gonna unroll and reroll them into 3" versions of the proper mesh ones. So 9 or 10 of them @ 3" long with 1" spacing should do the job for a 40" column. Might leave out the last one to give a little space between the inlet to the liebig condensor and the last scrubber.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

I just stuff em in right out of the box, like I said though, I try to keep em equally spaced through the column.

NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

Unrolled they are actually the same thing as that copper mesh just roll them into a loose cylinder.

You can almost certainly find bulk copper mesh on your island, it's also called copper gauze.
People use it in resin fabrication like carbon fiber and fiberglass, and it's primary purpose is as a stuffing material for pest control... its used to fill rat holes.
Go see the exterminator.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

I saw some shiny new copper pot scrubbers in the Dollar Store. At $1.00 for 3 they looked too good to be true….Until I checked them with a magnet. And, of course, they were too good to be true. Made in China – I should have known better. I’ll stick with Brewhaus or Mile Hi in future.

Penny wise – pound foolish (my Grannie would have said).

LL

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
homedistlr
Novice

Post by homedistlr »

Hi guys, I think I understand the benefits of stuffing the column with to increase the proof of your runs, but from what I understand using copper also removes sulfides as the vapor rises through the column. Can you still achieve the sulfide removal if you basically soak your finished product in a container with the copper mesh after the run? Sorry if the question sounds silly, but I'm trying to figure out if the benefit of copper only exists with vapor, or is if will provide the same sulfide extraction after the run. Any help is appreciated.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

homedistlr wrote:Hi guys, I think I understand the benefits of stuffing the column with to increase the proof of your runs, but from what I understand using copper also removes sulfides as the vapor rises through the column. Can you still achieve the sulfide removal if you basically soak your finished product in a container with the copper mesh after the run? Sorry if the question sounds silly, but I'm trying to figure out if the benefit of copper only exists with vapor, or is if will provide the same sulfide extraction after the run. Any help is appreciated.
The sulfur compounds are most readily removed when in vapor form... You can experiment and post your findings but I doubt that removal would be effective by adding copper to cooled liquid spirits...
homedistlr
Novice

Post by homedistlr »

Would something like this be a better approach?
http://www.morebeer.com/products/kupzit ... gQod9_8Mhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

homedistlr wrote:Would something like this be a better approach?
http://www.morebeer.com/products/kupzit ... gQod9_8Mhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Not without knowing the complete MSDS for that product... Considering how you would be ingesting the final product you need to be 100% certain that you won't be poisoning yourself... Never roll the dice without knowing the odds are in your favor unless you are willing to accept the potential risks and live, or die, with them...
homedistlr
Novice

Post by homedistlr »

I understand. I looked over the documentation on the product here, http://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=4692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow, before asking. It looks like it is currently used in the wine making process to remove sulfides so I wasn't sure if it would translate for us as well.
I think I'll give the copper mesh a try first. Thanks for the input and help.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

homedistlr wrote:I understand. I looked over the documentation on the product here, http://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=4692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow, before asking. It looks like it is currently used in the wine making process to remove sulfides so I wasn't sure if it would translate for us as well.
I think I'll give the copper mesh a try first. Thanks for the input and help.
The issue that I would have is the difference in the %ABV between wine and distilled spirits... We know that copper in the vapor path is effective and doesn't require additional steps... With wine its use is pretty much the only viable option for salvaging tainted product...

You could always contact the manufacturer if you'd like a more definitive answer regarding its use with high proof spirits... :idea:
Mikeinkaty
Novice

Post by Mikeinkaty »

Lots of cheap 100% copper mesh on EBay.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Mikeinkaty wrote:Lots of cheap 100% copper mesh on EBay.
Cheap copper????? Buyer beware! Not everything "posing" as copper really is. Make sure you're not enticed by the "too good to be true" sales pitch. You may be surprised in the end.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

I just ordered 100' X 5" (1.7lbs) for $33.50..

I'm hoping that the 100' + 60' I already have is enough for my 3"x48"... I see it as a small investment for the benefit and can last a long time if properly cared for..
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

still_stirrin wrote:
Mikeinkaty wrote:Lots of cheap 100% copper mesh on EBay.
Cheap copper????? Buyer beware! Not everything "posing" as copper really is. Make sure you're not enticed by the "too good to be true" sales pitch. You may be surprised in the end.
ss
copper mesh was first made to clean plastic injection moulds (no scratchie). the insect control industry adoped it for insect exclusion.

if you buy from those industries you will get copper. the brew stores have a vested interest in not pissing customers off (mostly).

fleabay can be a crap shoot but the 100' rolls and custom cuts are off 1000' rolls

if you look hard enough you can find 6 different gauges of copper mesh in small rolls (100') and full rolls 1000' at about the price unsub paid

edit; for confusion, 100' rolls for about the price unsub paid
Last edited by cob on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I've posted my solution to copper mesh on several threads. Still think it's better than what you can buy on the market.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=47650
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

Bushman- I totally agree, I stopped at our local recycling center and didn't have any luck. The guys didn't seem at all interested in keeping an eye out for wire for me.

Cob- I'd be interested in finding 1000' for $30! I can usually find the best deals but that market didn't seem very flexible (but I'll keep looking).. Point me in a direction:)
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

UnSub wrote:Bushman- I totally agree, I stopped at our local recycling center and didn't have any luck. The guys didn't seem at all interested in keeping an eye out for wire for me.

Cob- I'd be interested in finding 1000' for $30! I can usually find the best deals but that market didn't seem very flexible (but I'll keep looking).. Point me in a direction:)
Any welding supply will sell you cable for 1.50-2.50/ft.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

I ran a piece of copper wire thru my scrubbies, and soldered it to the last one

just pull the wire to load or unload the pipe
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

HBP: To pack a 4'x3" column with wire @ $2.50/ft. = damn near same cost as 160' of copper mesh... (That's if 160' does it for me)
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

WHUT? LOL.....i must be splain'n like jibberish again one more time.

no no..not packed with wire, that would cost like a wholelotta cost for sure to much

one wire, runed thru all the little hommie scrubbies..soldered to the last one

sorry if i confused,
scrubbies 002.JPG
scrubbies 003.JPG
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

No Frodo- I seen your discussion previously about scrubber retrieval- and a super idea btw:)

I was directing that at Hillbilly Popstar. I was assuming he was recommending to use wire (at 1.50-2.50/ft) as opposed to mesh. Wire was referenced by Bushman and his link to "making your own copper packing".

I followed what you were saying :)