sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by ScottishBoy »

mikeofa2 wrote:I have some pitchable liquid Champagne yeast hanging around. It's not 8 tablespoons, just one of those glass vials. Would that be enough for this recipe or should I stick with the bakers yeast?
You might want to stick with the bakers yeast the first time, just so you can get a good idea of the recipes results. The yeast you have is designed for a higher alcohol concentration. IIRC (dont quote me on this) it can go as high as 18%. If you wanted to get this into the mash, I would think you would want to farm it up a little before you put it in. Get all the yeast going with some food nutrients and oxygen so the start multiplying.

Some folks like them and some folks feel they produce off flavors. I think a lot of it has to do with the wash you are doing and your water chemistry. Water with higher sulphar compounds might contribute to that effect. I would try it and see how it works for your situation. Worst comes to worst, you have thrown a few bucks and some time at it, but you have your answer.

I would be curious to see how it works with this wash.

SB
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
heeler
Novice

Post by heeler »

Ken.Shner... thanks for the reply,hmmmmmm, if you reflux it wont that take out all the sweetfeed flavors you were after to start with???? And with ageing - are ageing highproof or cut to 50%. (or low wines dont need to be cut)
You said low wines, that which you dont want to drink but add back to the next run??? (Lower proof -the end of the run)
You are ageing the low wines JUST to see what the outcome is???? Why not the hearts of the run?? sorry for being stupid but thanks for all the advice of your experience.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

when I pot still I keep the heart of the run and cut it to about 65% ABV if I am going to age it. If I am going to drink I cut to 55% ABV, It is really good after a good airing and age it for at least one month. The rest of the run I save ( Heads and tails) when I get enough that is what I reflux, it does take most of the taste out but it is still not a true neutral, some of the sweet flavor carries over.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

For those in this part of the world ( New Zealand) I have been out today and found a likely product NRM Sweetfeed. In a 25kg bag it cost me about $32.00
From the packaging/ suppliers website:
Brief Description:
NRM Sweetfeed is a highly palatable textured feed, designed to meet the needs of racehorses and sporthorses in moderate to heavy work.

Suitable For:
Horse in moderate to heavy work such as eventers, hunters and racehorses.

Special Features and Benefits:
• Highly palatable - ideal for slow or fussy eaters
• Steam flaked grains for higher energy utilisation to meet the
demands of increased workloads.
• Balanced and complete - less mess and wastage than mixing
individual ingredients

Analysis(approximate on a DM basis):
Crude Protein: 12.0%
Crude Fibre: 7.0%
Crude Fat: 4.0%
Salt: 1.5.%
Calcium: 0.75%
Phosphorus: 0.65%
Copper: 55ppm
Zinc: 150ppm
Selenium: 0.8ppm
Digestible Energy: 13MJ/kg

Ingredients selected from:
Steam flaked maize, barley By-Products, steam flaked barley, steam flaked oats, wheat, maize, wheat by-products, maize by-products, barley by-products, extracted soyabean meal, peas, lucerne meal, molasses, limestone, dicalcium phosphate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, salt

Includes KER vitamin and mineral premix.

I grabbed a bag and plan to try this over the next few days
Edit: Couldn't wait and got the first ferment going. Prepared as per recipe (almost!!) added cold water and pitched yeast straight after adding the hot water. ( I missed the part about waiting 90 mins in my eagerness) However the bubbler started within 5 mins. Glorious smell!

I have started a second batch and this time I left it for the 90 mins. It also took off
Both are furiously now active (as fast as anything I've seen). I suspect this sweetfeed has a good load of nutrients and vitamins.

I'll be interested to compare in due course the difference if any

All great fun!!

Ted
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

It will slow way down after a couple of days. Just let it work until there is no more activity in the fermenter. It will clear very well when it is finished. I rack it straight to my boiler when it is finished. I think you will really like it.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.
KS
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Kentucky shinner,

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm a newb and have been reading MANY recipes, but I think that this one is going right to the top of my list.

I noticed that you were talking about doing a 30 gal ferment. I was just wondering ... have you ever weighed out the Sweetfeed in order to work out a ratio for this recipe?

When I find an interesting recipe, I usually like to enter the ratios of the recipe in Microsoft Excell in order to scale the recipe up or down to any porportions depending on the size of fermenter I have/how large of a wash I want to make. I know this is not rocket science or anything, but if ya happen to have the weight worked out I'd love to know what it is.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

NineInchNails wrote:Kentucky shinner,

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm a newb and have been reading MANY recipes, but I think that this one is going right to the top of my list.

I noticed that you were talking about doing a 30 gal ferment. I was just wondering ... have you ever weighed out the Sweetfeed in order to work out a ratio for this recipe?

When I find an interesting recipe, I usually like to enter the ratios of the recipe in Microsoft Excell in order to scale the recipe up or down to any porportions depending on the size of fermenter I have/how large of a wash I want to make. I know this is not rocket science or anything, but if ya happen to have the weight worked out I'd love to know what it is.
NineInchNails i jus put on a 50 gallon batch tonight and measured it out with the feed I have it's 7.69 lbs. Per 4 inches in a 5 gallon bucket. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Was goin to boil the sweet feed but didn't have the time to stir for that long. My boiler is a keg and would have taken two boils. But will keep u posted
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Thanks Yungin! That's awesome ... just what I was hoping for :ebiggrin:

I'd love to hear how it works out for ya.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I just started a 30 gallon ferment yesterday. I will let you know how it goes.
KS
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

Has anyone here that has made this ever made dwwg? Does it ferment about the same speed?
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Kentucky shinner said in his first post that it can take approx 6-7 days.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

yes he did but that was also for a 6 gallon batch I should have clarified has anyone done a big batch of this and also done a big batch of dwwg?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Just do it yungin then you can tell us all how fast it ferments. It will always be different anyway depending on any number of variables.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

blanikdog wrote:Just do it yungin then you can tell us all how fast it ferments. It will always be different anyway depending on any number of variables.

blanik
Ths one for begging for that reply I'm just surprised it took this long to get it. :roll:
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I just couldn't stand it any longer, WW. :lol:

Everything - well almost everything - of a basic nature is covered in this forum and yet we still get posts proving that no inititive has been shown and no personal research has been done.

It's the only way to learn, fer crissake. :roll:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

blanikdog wrote:I just couldn't stand it any longer, WW. :lol:

Everything - well almost everything - of a basic nature is covered in this forum and yet we still get posts proving that no inititive has been shown and no personal research has been done.

It's the only way to learn, fer crissake. :roll:

blanik
Sorry for buggin you all I'll quit askin questions.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

your fine yungin, I will help you any way I can.
KS
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky and trub

Post by Teddysad »

Have just finished fermenting a batch of this and have a lovely looking wash racked and settling now.

Due to time commitments I am unable to put on another batch straight away. Any thoughts on the merits of saving all that lovely trub and freezing it until it's able to be used. I understand the yeast will go dormant. Would it have adverse effects on all those grains. It's be a shame to just toss the lot.

I do have the balance of the 25kg bag I originally purchased so economics are not really an issue I estimate the sweetfeed for a 25 litre wash cost me about $3.00

Ted

(and yes I have tried searching for freezing trub with little success)
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

You can rinse it and keep it in the fridge pretty effectively.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let us know how your white dog is after you run your batch. I am anxious to see how you like it.
KS
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Husker from Sept. 19, 2006 wrote: 6. The TSC store also had "sweet feed". Has anyone tried working with that "product"? It was much more expensive, but still only a fraction of the cost of the sugar being added, due to the amount of volume being used.

H.
Could this have been the initial inspiration for this wash? This post came from the UJSM thread.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

I finished a final run on this recipe last nit. Tastes really great so far. Will definitely b doin this one again but can't afford it now. Would really like to do a few generations with it. Took 8 days to ferment plus a few to clear at 80 degrees f. Although I did seem to smell a bit of a burnt smell n the spirits not sure if I ran it too hard on my strippin run or if it was jus part of the aroma but seems to taste fine.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yungin wrote:bit of a burnt smell n the spirits
Gotta ditch that " B" word.

Just use the word,,,,"smokey" in mixed company and they'll think yer a crackerjack whisky man. :wink:

Your evil lil secret :twisted:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

'toasted", "blackend" "pan seared" "smoke cured"... the list is endless.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Yungin
Novice

Post by Yungin »

Will do. Starting to think maybe it's the molasses I was tasting. Almost tastes like black liqourish (not sure if that's spelled right). But If I ever have this problem again I'll use smokey.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have been doing 30 gallon ferments with this recipe with great success.

15 pounds of all grain sweet feed
10 Gallon hot water 150F +
let that set for about 90 minutes
add water up to fill up to 25 gallon mark
then add 50 pounds of sugar while stirring the hell out of it. that will bring you up to 30 gallons.
starting sg of 1.06
add 1 packet of prestige WD with ag yeast
(you could also use bakers yeast I just prefer the Prestige WD with AG)
place a towel over the barrel to keep bugs out

the next day it sounds like bacon frying in the pan and smells great.
this ferments out in about 8-10 days depending on the temp. My garage has been staying about 90f lately.
Last edited by Kentucky shinner on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Kentucky shinner, what is the approximate %ABV of the wash after fermentation and racking...??? You're at ~11.7% with the sugar and water alone...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rad I think its pretty close to 12%. I dont think the molases in the feed adds that much to the AbV. but it really does add the the flavor. I have a batch fermenting right now. It started at 1.07 sg it normally finishes at .099. I checked tonight before I came to work and it is still frying. I started it last Wed. so it should be finishing pretty soon.
GreyGambler
Bootlegger

Post by GreyGambler »

k Shiner i will try that its totally different than what i used,think i used like 30# sweetfeed and 28# sugar whatever it was didnt have a great smell :esurprised:
#5559 -Take what you can and give nothing back... the great Captain Jack Sparrow
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

rad I have to tell ya im not real good with the percentages and all of that. I have been taking sg readings trying to learn more about this but normally when it stops frying and the sg it at .099 I let it clear another day then rack it and run it as my time permits. I have left it in my barrels as much as 5 days before getting it all ran but I try to run it as soon as I can. I can tell you it starts sweet as hell and ends up dry and sour...

I looked back at my notes on this ferment and I was wrong it started at 1.06 SG