Bokabob "two cups" design

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Bokabob "two cups" design

Post by Austin Nichols »

Has anyone built this unit?

It looks even more simple than the slanted plates design and I'm wondering why I cant find any posts on it.

The only change I would make if I built this would be to put the thermometer port just above the take off, and possibly angle the cuts on the 5/8 tee at 45 degrees towards the center of the column.

I'd post the pic of the plan here but it's on the parent site under equipment/making a still/designs and plans/bokabob designs.

I would really like to know what others think about this.

Cheers.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bokabob "two cups" design

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I think just by looking at how the two cups design is built the answer would be. 1. cost, you have more fittings to buy with this build. 2. it will be more work to build.
I think the Dual slate plate design is much cheaper to build and for me I though it was much simpler. It has been proven to work excellent ,There is now way it can produce higher abv. I honestly think once someone has made there condenser, with a slant plate design most novice builders could knock this out in a half a day easy. I dont see any way a column could be easier to build than a dual plate Bok. Its one length of pipe with two plates soldered in place... then 2 holes for themo, and take off port. Thats it!!
Once again just my thoughts i am sure many are different. Oh ya I posted the design just so everyone wont have to go and look it up.
Kentucky Shinner
Attachments
drawing_12_two-cups_TC.jpg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The "two reducer" is easier than the "two cups" design and no more or only minimally more expensive to build... But the dual slant plate is the cheapest, by far...
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

That is my head style but without the tee on the upper cup just 1" extending up.
I also don't use packing I have a tri disc plated column with glass marbles at each drilled plate level.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=14439

Pics detailing the plated column insert were added after the intial post
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Austin Nichols
Rumrunner

Post by Austin Nichols »

That's a beautiful unit Still Crazy, very nice!!!!

I went for a different design for my 3 inch LM, it's almost done.

One thing that seems to be haunting me is trying to keep everything straight while soldering, the joins keep moving when I heat em up, but I'll get it there.

Cheers.