A Submersible Pump...?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Samohon
retired

A Submersible Pump...?

Post by Samohon »

Hey guy's, bought this submersible pump at a car-boot sale for £4.00 ($6.00US)...
Do you think I could use it in a cooling recirculation system... :?:
It does push out quite a bit of water... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Here's a piccie...
Pump.jpg
Pump.jpg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
And some specs...
  • Florabest FTK 400/7 Submersible Water Pump
  • Operates to a depth oF 7M
  • Will pump water UPTO 7000 litres per hour depending on depth of water and height required to be pumped.
  • For use with clear to slightly dirt water (suspended matter to maximum 5mm)
  • Angle adapter with auto water stop system
  • Includes 8m Nylon Rope for removal of pump from the water
  • Ceramic seal for long life
  • Motor shaft of stainless steel
  • Rugged plastic casing
  • Automatic float switch
  • Noiseless, maintenance free capacitor motor, with thermoprotective switch
  • 10m rubber sheathed cable
  • Delivery valve 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch
TECHNICAL SPEC:
  • 400 WATT
  • OUTPUT MAX 7000L/H
  • DELIVERY HEIGHT MAX 7M
  • SUBMERSION DEPTH MAX 7M
  • WATER TEMPERATURE MAX 35C
Did do a search for pond pumps, water recirculation, ect; but came back with a load of differing angles on it...
Just wanted to know if it was too powerfull. I would be sitting it at the bottom of a 55gal plastic drum...
I have a 15mm brass gate valve connected to the water input at the bottom of my liebig condenser, would whis help regulate the pump.. :?:

Been a while since I asked a question, but I guess theres always gonna be something creepin up... :oops:

Thanks guy's, just wondered what your views were on this.... :D
Last edited by Samohon on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A Submersible Pump...?

Post by rednose »

There is no such thing than too much cooling water in condensers but 13.000 Ltr/min is overkill.

Anyhow it will work more than fine and if the hoses get off cause of too much pressure you can built a very easy by-pass.

Nice buy, don't they have some more?

joe
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it most likely will work,for how long ? it is more of how much head than volume .Id put in a bypass not restricting the output.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Sorry guy's, its 7000L p/h. While I was typing up the specs I had a net page open for the 600w type....

I've edited the post...

Yeah, a bypass first came to mind when I found it. Guess I just wanted it confirmed... :wink: :wink:

Thanks guy's...
Last edited by Samohon on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

rednose wrote:
Nice buy, don't they have some more?

joe
Sorry Joe, they only had one.... Nice find though...

I never used to go to yard/boot sales until I started makin my own rigs, now the magnet and I wont miss one... :wink: :wink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by suburban hillbilly »

Hi guys
What youv'e got is a dirty water pump ( sump water). You can buy them from argos for £49.99. I have one which I used to keep my foundation trenches clear when I built my new place. Juat check up that they are ok for continuous use. You might be ok. I remember looking at them as a cheaper alternative for a pond fountain pump and I seem to recall them not being suitable for continuous use.
If that's the case you would be better off looking for a pump that is suitable for continued use like the ones used for aquariums or ponds. I picked up a small filter pump for £21 a couple of weeks ago which seems to work fine. I already had a smaller feature pump and intend to run the two pumps on the two seperate condensers of my still so I have indepent control over the flow of each one independently. I remember being suprised at how much water it shifted it did a sterling job of emptying my trenches.
All the best S H

Challenge Xtreme Dirty Water Pump 400 Watt.711/1208
Attachments
97-7111208A71UC552288M.jpg
97-7111208A71UC552288M.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I'll try and get somemore info on it SW...

Thanks man... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Ya put a bypass in the line and you be real happy I bet... sounds like one Hell of a deal to me Sam.
LWTCS will hate you :)
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Kentucky shinner wrote:Ya put a bypass in the line and you be real happy I bet... sounds like one Hell of a deal to me Sam.
LWTCS will hate you :)
Hi KS, just wonderin what kind of pump you use from yer pool an all..?
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

very similar to that one if just does not move as much water as yours. I am more than likely going to have to get me another to supply my flute. I got mine a local building supply store called Lowes. It is a pump for outdoor water falls. I worked fine for my bok and my pot but I will just have to try it on my flute.
KS

Here is one like I use. The problem with using it for my flute it will only pump up 7 feet.
Attachments
pump.jpg
pump.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Last edited by Kentucky shinner on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Kentucky shinner wrote:very similar to that one if just does not move as much water as yours. I am more than likely going to have to get me another to supply my flute. I got mine a local building supply store called Lowes. It is a pump for outdoor water falls. I worked fine for my bok and my pot but I will just have to try it on my flute.
KS
Thanks man, well I'll try this one, did'nt cost much anyway KS... :D

Good luck on yer first run with the flute....
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

You only need one pump to supply the flute, the distribution manifold takes care of both condensers.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

olddog wrote:You only need one pump to supply the flute, the distribution manifold takes care of both condensers.

OD
Im not sure my pump supplies enough water. I will just have to try it.. My pump will pump 400 gallon per minute.
davidwh
Swill Maker

Post by davidwh »

It would run 2 bloody public fountains!
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

[/quote]Im not sure my pump supplies enough water. I will just have to try it.. My pump will pump 400 gallon per minute.[/quote]

Check that 400GPM or 400GPH
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Samohon
Just wondered if you had tried out your new pump yet.
I dug mine out of the shed the other day and am thinking of putting it to use as I have a couple of washes ready to go. I am going to build a distribution system hopefully today to allow a controled flow to the two condensers and to the overflow for the pump so as not to overwork it. Will post you a pic when I get it done.
Hope yours is working well.
All the best S H
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Yeah, as soon as I added a bypass with a small gate valve back to the reservoir, it worked a treat... IMO can even regulate the coolant better than when I had it hhoked up to the domestic supply...

Hope this helps man... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have noticed running my flute the bypass valve makes it very nice for making fine adjustments to your water flow..
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heres a pic of the distribution unit I built this afternoon.
In theory I now have control over how much water i send to my condensers as each one has its own seperate supply fitted with a tap to make adjustments as needed and there is a valve on the overflow that goe's back to the reservoir that I can open or close to increase pressure/flow to the condensers if I need it.
The whole thing just hangs on the edge of my galvanised water tank.
I am doing my first alcohol cleaning run hopefully tomorrow with my new still and maybe even a second run with a Pugi's rum wash.
All the best Guys S H
Attachments
water distribution unit
water distribution unit
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Man, I like it a lot SH... Think I'm gonna use all those little pieces of scrap copper I have and rig up something similar...
Great idea... Keeps the weight off of the condensers as well, those taps can be heavy...

Well done SH and good luck with your first cleaning and rum runs, keep us posted man... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

nice flamethower SH

love the bent tubes 3/4 ?
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

good work man..
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Guys
My water tank turned out not to be in good shape so I found this 210 litre barrel at a local salvage yard for £16 which seemed to be a bargain. So here is the distribution unit mounted. Finally I can fire up my still and get me some rum mmmmmmmmmmm!
Attachments
DSC_0196.jpg
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Looks good SH, compact and simple...

Thanks man... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦