choosing a molasses

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

drinktofabfabtodrink
Novice

choosing a molasses

Post by drinktofabfabtodrink »

i want to try my luck at making some rum. i started looking around the local grocery stores here that sell bulk molasses. in the stores i found 1 gal. jugs of "grandmas molasses" or something for about $15 (USD) a gal. i checked some other places with less luck. then i tried the feed store and they carried this molasses http://www.pf4feed.com/prod_pvm.htm not sure if this is what im looking for, and what additives to avoid. ive seen that backstrap molasses is good to use but i haven't seen it in bulk anywhere... any advice would help..

thank you!
You want the yeasties happy so they will piss alcohol and fart CO2.
You make them unhappy they just shit in your drink. -Prairiepiss
Tater
Admin

Re: choosing a molasses

Post by Tater »

Is that the dry molasses?If so ya don't want it.Do a search on molasses and rum lots of info on forums.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

the main thing to avoid is sulphates and that has some. works as a preservative and can prevent fermentation.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I have been using evolved habitats feed grade molasses from Tractor supply. 7.99 USD for a gallon. It is pure molasses with 82 brix minimum, only additive is propionic acid as a preservitive but is easily neutralized by bioling in water, I use 3 to 1 water to molassas and add 1 tablespoon of salt during the boil, let boil for 5 minutes, and let cool. After cooling, pour off liquid into fermenter, leaving behind any solids that may have settled out.
I use 1/2 gallon of molasses, 4.5 lbs brown sugar, 1 tablespoon yeast nutrient, 1 vitamin B complex tablet, and 1/4 teaspoon epsom salts and water to make 6 gallons. This ferments out in about 5 days, I don't use any dunder, just pure water and I think this is a pretty clean, medium rum that really smooths out after2-3 months on charred oak. I don't measure starting S.G but it has always finished out below 1.02.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
decomissioned
Novice

Post by decomissioned »

Check into local restaurant supply stores. Also check out your lower end grocery stores. There is a chain out by me that is really low budget.. concrete floors, no carts, just those flat dollies, mostly Mexican families around but some super low prices on mostly off brand stuff. I searched all over and even asked a few of my culinary buddies where I could get a gallon of quality molasses and one of them pointed it out and sure enough.. $9 a gallon for unsulfered food grade molasses with no preservatives or need for boiling. I also bought a gallon of soy sauce for $2.50.. so, might do some shopping too!
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I use a fancy grade catering treacle (64% sugar) instead of molasses. Now I used to buy it in a 1 gallon plastic jug from a catering supplier but I have found that it is sometimes cheaper to buy it in 1lb tins from the supermarket.

It surprised me, but I supose it is due to sales volumes. Check your local supermarket. My recipe has evolved into 7.25kg treacle (1 gallon) to 24kg raw cane sugar so I am not using a lot of treacle.
drinktofabfabtodrink
Novice

Post by drinktofabfabtodrink »

found some unsulfered molasses at a store that sells in bulk,the ingredients just said "molasses." no preservatives or anything... was able to buy it in half gallon jugs. doing two 5 gallon mashes at a time, i used 1 and 1/4 gallons of molasses in each, added 3oz of tomato paste and pitched in some “safeale s-04” dry ale yeast made for English ale’s... its bubbling away, and smells good... not as fast as i would have thought but i think that is because of the yeast, i may just use bakers yeast in the future... any suggestions?
You want the yeasties happy so they will piss alcohol and fart CO2.
You make them unhappy they just shit in your drink. -Prairiepiss
myles
retired

Post by myles »

In my opinion you really don't need tomato paste in the molasses wash. I favour a yeast bomb as I can get bakers yeast for free in my local supermarket. Each visit I get a few ounces of fresh block yeast and throw it in the freezer. When ready I boil it to get my nutrients, add some vit B and epsom salts and use a real ale yeast to ferment with.

I don't care how long it takes - slow is often better flavour wise.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

myles wrote:In my opinion you really don't need tomato paste in the molasses wash.
+1
Midnite
Novice

Post by Midnite »

I'm going to get 5 gallons from the COOP, the same they mix with the grain to make the sweet feed.

Midnite
I used to do what I had to do so I could do what I wanted to do, now I do what I want to, becouse it is all I have to do!
It's my time now!
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

let us know how this comes out... How much was the 5 gallon of molasses?
Midnite
Novice

Post by Midnite »

Kentucky shinner wrote:let us know how this comes out... How much was the 5 gallon of molasses?
5 gallons, 55 lbs, $13.75 out the door.
I used to do what I had to do so I could do what I wanted to do, now I do what I want to, becouse it is all I have to do!
It's my time now!
MoHillbilly
Novice

Post by MoHillbilly »

I dont use Molasses I have a supplier for pure Sugar cane Syrup...I get it 10 gallons at a time for 3 bucks 8)
Now if I can find Honey for that price :twisted:
IslandTime
Novice

Post by IslandTime »

Like Fastill, I have been using Evolved Habitats Feed Molasses with pretty good luck so far. I can't get anything from local stores for a decent price, and I found that Ozbo.com will ship it for a flat rate of 4 or 5 dollars (in the US) no matter how much you buy. Pretty important for me with how much this stuff weighs. They sell it in 2.5 gallon jugs and I have not had a problem with fermenting. I think it worked out to about 7 bucks a gallon or a little over when all was said and done...

Good luck!

-IslandTime
Half of being brilliant is just looking around every once in a while to make sure you're not doing anything stupid...