using an alcoholometer

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

puddles
Novice

using an alcoholometer

Post by puddles »

ive got an alcoholometer which came with a destilling kit i purchased from my local micro brewery, the alcoholometer is from still spirits and the packet reads as follows:

"alcoholometer, proof & tralles"

i know its to test the alcohol level of spirits or the wash by giving you a proof or tralles reading but i have no idea what the proof or tralles reading is and even less of an idea of how to use the thing... :esad:
any help please?

cheers
puddles
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: using an alcoholometer

Post by Dnderhead »

just lower into the sample, it will float. read the number at the top of solution.
they do have a special container for this it is called a eprouvette. do not use the plastic ones they can have a melt down.
a hydrometer will only work with alcohol /water. anything else will/can give inaccurate readings.

trallle is the actual percent alcohol and proof is 1/2 of this,at lest in US some other countries have a different proof reading.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

If there is no thermometer built in to the hydrometer, you will need one to get an accurate reading. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
puddles
Novice

Post by puddles »

Mud Mechanik wrote:If there is no thermometer built in to the hydrometer, you will need one to get an accurate reading. MM
ok mine doesnt have a thermometer in it so hopefully ill get out to the shops today to grab one, but then how do i use it with the alcoholometer? do compare the readings off each or do subtract one from the other or something like that?
Dnderhead wrote:just lower into the sample, it will float. read the number at the top of solution.
they do have a special container for this it is called a eprouvette. do not use the plastic ones they can have a melt down.
a hydrometer will only work with alcohol /water. anything else will/can give inaccurate readings.
and do i need to hold it under or just let it bob around in the liquid?

cheers
puddles
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

just let it float freely, take the reading at the top of liquid. mine is calibrated at 60F (16c) most have a correction chart that comes with them.
there is one posted some where on HD.(some others are calabrated at20c /68f)
puddles
Novice

Post by puddles »

hope this isn't a stupid question but i am wondering if once the spirit is diluted, filtered and flavored, can the alcohol content still be adjusted by just adding water?

:oops: im aware that my ignorance may be showing...

cheers
puddles
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

filtered an flavered ?

yup you can add water an take it down.

so im tole
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

yes but watch the sugar and flavorings, as some will affect the readings . a hydrometer works with specific gravity or displacement by weight
so anything that alters the weight of product will alter the reading.sugar for exsampol will make the product weigh more so a hydrometer will read
lower % alcohol than it really is.it is best to use dilution charts,or use a percentage when diluting with anything other than water.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Dilute to desired proof and then flavor to avoid diluting the flavor or skewing the proof...
puddles
Novice

Post by puddles »

ok, from the help of users on this forum and the instruction of a friend i am now all over using the alcoholometer, so thank you.

so that every one else knows how...

all you've got to do is put some of the spirit into a tall container (preferably glass) with a neck wide enough to take the larger end of the alcoholometer. then drop the alcoholometer into the container and allow it to bob around untill it finds its own level... where the surface of the spirit lines up with a number on the "tralles" chart on the alcoholometer is the alcohol content of the spirit.
alco2.jpeg
hope this helps future readers

cheers
puddles
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

That's it Puddles! The alcometer measures alc content alone. Yes the temp is a factor, as well as any other additives that change the SG like sugar. If it comes out of a still the alcometer will get you in the ballpark pretty close.

The vinomometer/beer an wine hydrometer is another thing altogether. I gave up on it long ago as it's not needed if using the 'tried an true' recipes. These are used for measuring the input...calculatin the potential alc an such in the wash; not for measuring the purified output of a still.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Dont forget puddles, you can correct the alcometer reading with a simple table...

Have a look at This One... on the parent site...

Hope this helps... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

ease your likker tester into what you testin in. it will break or break somethin if you dropin it in.

first thang you do when you got a new one is see if it right? get you some rubin alcohol.
they come in diferent proofs. think one about 70 percent another mite be 90 percent.
put your tester in them an see what it floatin.

so im tole