Limoncello cloudy

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

crazyk78
Swill Maker

Limoncello cloudy

Post by crazyk78 »

Hey all...I made a batch of Limoncello some weeks ago and after I had infused my peel the liquid was a nice clear golden colour.

When I added my sugar syrup mixture it went all cloudy.

It tastes good..real good but I wan't to know why this happens?

I'm planning on doing an orange one too. Would I use the same proportions as the limoncello?

My limoncello recipe was 12 large orange peels, infused for 2 weeks until the peel went white and cracked when bent. Then made up my sugar syrup to taste.
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Limoncello cloudy

Post by kiwistiller »

Wonderful. You've extracted so much lemon goodness that once diluted, the oils are falling out of solution. know in many spirits as a louche, or to nerds as spontaneous emulsification. I aim for that in my limoncello. In my gins I like it to be clear at room temp, but louche in the freezer or when added to tonic.

As for the orange, yeah same proprtions should be fine. Always err on the more flavour side, you can always dilute it with neutral or whatever your base is. as an aside, I find orange held up well to redistillation after maceration, and then oaking and sweetening Grand Marnier style.

Congrats on your limoncello, it's an underrated drink.

Edit to add, if you don't want this, try diluting with neutral and / or chill filtering.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

Crazy

How many lemons/ L of alcohol did you use? What strength alcohol was your macerating alcohol?

Louched limoncello is not the sign of an improper made limoncello. If you want the recipe of a yellow colored limoncello that is clear, that is easily done.

Look up Villa Massa Limoncello or Pallini Limoncello. You will see that both are super premium brands and neither are clear!!

EuroStiller
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

My limoncello recipe was 12 large orange peels,
Yo crazyk78, do you mean the peel from 12 lemons? Were they organic? Your drink sounds yummy. bd.
I do all my own stunts
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

My last recipe for limoncello was

zest of 7 lemons
500ml of full strength neutral (allows it to extract very quickly)

700ml of water and two cups of white sugar to make the syrup (I inverted this but I think it would have been better not)

With the amount of oil extracted it clouded straight away (very pretty yellow though) and a bit of a kick ass drink on crushed ice. I have a feeling a little mint would go well with this but I haven't extracted mint flavour yet, and I'm not sure how the green would go with the yellow.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

I make mine with lemonade lemons (Citrus limon cv. 'Lemonade'). Not a true lemon (similar to the Meyer variety, but different), so I guess not true limoncello. The flesh is sweet, juicy and tangy. But my god these things make an awesome 'limoncello'. I strongly encourage anyone who has access to these to try to make something out of them. And make it cloudy :D
My stuff
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I make my Limoncello with

lemon myrtle leaves

Lemon Myrtle Liqueur

Pick 30 grams lemon myrtle leaves (no stalks)

Wash in cold water

Add 400 ml straight alcohol (40%)

Leave for 1 week , no more , to steep

Filter thru a fine sieve

Dissolve 200 grams sugar in 400 ml water and boil
Allow to cool

Mix with the lemon myrtle vodka and bottle

Makes about 1 litre
The Friendly Spirit
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

it's all sounding really tasty; how about the organic thing, anybody do it that way? bd.
I do all my own stunts
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Guess my lemonades are organic?
My stuff
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Guys... so many replies and I've been stuck at work.

Sorry I have to correct myself from earlier..

it was the zest of 12 lemons in 500ml of 86% alcohol.
My syrup was 600g sugar per 1l of water.

Came out beautiful and I think I will try the oranges and tweak mine with some of the other suggestions on here.

Thanks again I thought that because it went cloudy that it went funny even though it tasted fine. It did turn out nice and thick too once in the freezer.