Ford EGR cooler condenser?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MuleKicker
retired

Re: Ford EGR cooler condenser?

Post by MuleKicker »

I understand what the damn thing does. The more coolant flow condenses more vapor, more reflux. the less coolant flow condenses less vapor, making less reflux. less reflux means more vapor is making it past the delpufrjhlsjdmater and that goes to your product condenser. More reflux means less vapor is making it past the delphdlfjohgjsamater to be condensed by the product condenser. This cooler would work, but i think it would be very sensitive to flow adjustment cuz she is a really efficient condenser.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

Has distilling advanced that much in the five months that I've been away that a deephlemegator. Completely escapes me? That's what I get I guess...not keeping up with cuttin edge technologies and such. Makes. A bokakob sound prehistoric
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

toofless wrote:Has distilling advanced that much in the five months that I've been away that a deephlemegator. Completely escapes me? That's what I get I guess...not keeping up with cuttin edge technologies and such.
Nah not new technology, it's mainly used in commercial stills, we have just adapted the idea for home distilling use. :D

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Bet them commercial boys never used diesel truck parts in there stills. :mrgreen:
-Control Freak-
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

toofless wrote:Hey mule, you got an update on this? I've been gone a while (still stillin), and came across this thread. Interested the hell outta me from the get go
Here is a pic of a basic pot i threw together with leftover parts. Added a couple copper easyflanges, and there you have it. Nothin special, but it will work. Kinda thinkin i will use it as a bad ass stripper, cuz that cooler will knockdown as much as i can throw at it. the bottom of the T will have a takeoff on it. kinda like an offset reflux, without the reflux.
Attachments
DSC02048.JPG
DSC02048.JPG (13.93 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02047.JPG (19.7 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
-Control Freak-
docdave
Bootlegger

Post by docdave »

MK,

I was just thinking most of the crap inside the used unit would be organic so starting with an organic solvent might be OK. I might try even try an acetone soak first to remove diesel crap (mostly carbon deposits and partially burned diesel) then a foreshots (contains acetone and other organics) soak interrupted by a series of good cleans. These things would be anything that doesn't go through a still already!

Just thinking

DocDave
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Yeah, i soaked it in a bad ass detergent for a few days, then blasted it out with a 5000psi hot water pressure washer. It is pretty damn clean. Last thing on the list is to do a cleaning run on it. Then i think it will be good.
-Control Freak-
docdave
Bootlegger

Post by docdave »

MK,

We're all pretty excited about this contraption. You might be starting a new trend. I live close to the highway and may start talking to the big rig mechanics if this works out. I'm curious, how much do one of these things cost new?

DocDave
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

You can get then new on ebay for around $300. I dont know about the big rig models. The one I have here is in the Ford F250-F350. 03-07
-Control Freak-
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i need me some left over parts like that!!!!!
i cant wait to see just how much you can throw at it
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Well, all i got to throw is 5500w. Gonna have to fire up the turkey frier if i really want to give this thing a work out. :lol:
-Control Freak-
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Hey Mule, great lookin rig man...

I really want to see how this baby performs, cant wait... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Shit, you guys are making me feel guilty. I made this big lead up...... And well, dont know when im gonna get a chance to run it. Gotta get a few more parts. Plus, winter time here. Cant have running water into the shed, she'll freeze up on me. Got myself a 300w fishtank heater, and a shitty old fridge in the shed for a insulated box, should do the trick. Thinkin Im gonna do a worm in a bucket for winter runs. Simple and effective.
-Control Freak-
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Can't believe you ain't runnin yer whiskie/y outta this here.

Whats wrong with you man? :lol:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

well LW, you got me thinkin bout usin this thing as a delphleg. I think i might re-purpose it. I aint no CAD expert, but im gonna try to put together the idea i got runnin round my head. so i can share it with ya'll. Do you think it would be a big deal to have a 4" flute collumn choked down at the top to 2"? That is the size of the base of this thing. Then the top has a 90deg bend, a guy could fashion himself a flange and fix a liebig to it. It seems Ive gotten a few of these things lately, might have to share if it turns out.
-Control Freak-
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I think your pevious thoughts on sensitivity are pretty spot on.

I'd recon that choking down from 4 to 2 may offer enough vapor speed to perhaps mitigate the hypersensitivity with regard to cooling adjustments.

I'd recon that even the eggheads would have a difficult time figgerin the performance of something like this here with out an imperical amount of R&D.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Now, its not to scale, nor is it a work of art. But I think it gets the point accrossed. This is my idea to use this thing as a delphleg in a plated collumn.
Attachments
EGR COOLER.JPG
EGR COOLER.JPG (5.48 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
-Control Freak-
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

Mule!!! Those pictures are sweet! Really cool your moving forward with this gizmo...outside the box thinking.

I agree that choking it down to a 2" would probably be a good thing. Keep us all posted and to all: MERRY CHRISTMAS! !!
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"