sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

xjrockstomper
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by xjrockstomper »

I ended up with approximately 8 gallons of SF wash that finished today at around .998 SP. I am letting the liquid settle for two days, already ran a vinegar cleaning run on the column, and have a good ol’ box of wine for the alcohol cleaning run.

How long should I run the wine through the still? I ran the vinegar for almost half an hour collected a little more than a pint of liquid was this ok? Will the resulting product be drinkable?

Also would it be a bad thing to run the washes through a temp cycle of 70* to 62*? That’s what the house is set to run on for the heater schedule. The first two I never let them get below 70* but trying to sleep with it that hot is hell on earth. Right now I don’t have a way to set up a dedicated area to keep at 70* or ideally 75* to 80* based on some reading i have done on here. What do you guys think is the ideal ambient temp of the SF wash?

I started with two 5 gallon carboys with the standard recipe of (4 inches / 36 cups of SF, 5 lbs/ 10 cups sugar, and 6 tbs. of yeast). So today I strained off the liquid using my milk strainer (this thing is large its big enough to sit on top of a 5 gal bucket I think it will hold at least 3 gallons of liquid at a time) pulling 8 cups of SF from each wash. I then replaced the 8 cups with fresh SF and 5 lbs of sugar to each carboy. They both started bubbling within 10 min, and I added an additional tbs. of yeast just to keep it going. I then took the 16 cups of removed SF put that into another carboy added 8 cups SF and made an additional 5 gallon wash. So know I have 15 gallons of 2nd generation SF working right now and can't wait to be able to do some blending and tasting.

Any comments or questions on what I did would be great so I can think of all the angles.
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

XJ,

I use brew belts, 20 watt electric heating strips that wrap around a 5-8 gallon bucket. The buckets 2-3, ferment in a room heated to 53F. With three buckets in this large bathroom, the room will jump to 58 degrees, the buckets will stay between 72-80 degrees. They cost about 23-25 dollars ea and you can find em at most brew / wine shops. Very effective. When it warms up, I will put them on a light dimmer to dial back the heat. Using bakers yeast mid 70s F to 80 or a bit higher makes for a quick ferment with no off flavors.

Save your cleaning run of alcohol for when you need to do it again , I ran cheap wine until the distillate was 10%, others may have other thoughts.

Cheers
stilly
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

stilly...
Thanks for getting back to me this late hour of the night. The only problem with finding those brew belts is the nearest brew shop to me is almost two hours away lol. If i make it to Denver any time soon i will have to check on the prices and availabilty down there. Right now i set up a makeshift closet using a window bay in my house and have a space heater blowing into the side with a sheer curtain drawn across 3/4 of the window. Its been on low for about 45 min and is holding the temp steady at 73*, now my only concern is the daylight but i dont recon that will do much since i had the first batch open to the lights all the time in my living room.
I did not think about saving the wine for a cleaning run in the future thats a dang good idea, well unless it tastes good. :lol:

Any way thought i would share some photos of my SF whiskey to be.... Check out the pics of my still and amazing new funnel and strainer

8 gallons of racked and settling wash

Three 5 gallon washes just starting this evening (SP 1.058)
SuburbanStiller
Swill Maker

Post by SuburbanStiller »

xjrockstomper wrote:How long should I run the wine through the still? I ran the vinegar for almost half an hour collected a little more than a pint of liquid was this ok? Will the resulting product be drinkable?
Are you asking if distilled vinegar will be drinkable?

It's not to my taste, but you could certainly mix it with some olive oil and sprinkle it on your salad.
LWTCS wrote:Recon i am an intermet lilker geek
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

no not the vinegar i was refering to the wine after its been ran though lol.
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

xjrockstomper wrote:stilly...
Thanks for getting back to me this late hour of the night. The only problem with finding those brew belts is the nearest brew shop to me is almost two hours away lol.

Many brew shops have an online store and sell them.
cheers
stilly
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

you can get them from milehigh distilling. that is where i got mine.
gholl3214
Novice

Post by gholl3214 »

Hey, Here's another will this work question. I found this at one of the local feed stores. The grains are there but it's light on vitamins and nutrients. I googled the parabens, evidentily they're another type of preservative. I did a 5 gal. ferment the other day using 5gal. of wort from a brewer friend instead of water. Wort was from the tail end of a run at about 1.012SG, added sugar to bring it up to 1.070. Added baker's yeast and let er rip. Finished in 6 days at 1.005. Haven't had a chance to run it yet but I'm thinking a nice slow single run thru the pot still. Anybody have an opinion as to whether or not any nasties could be in there? Just want to be safe, the only folks drinking this are family and friends.
DSC01277.JPG
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I say giver a go and see how it comes out. I dont see anything to be worried about.
xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper »

SF 8gallon 12/17/2010
Jar number Proof (BC) Tralles (BC) correction (P/ T) Proof (AC) Tralles (AC) Temp. (*F)
1 HP 140 70 6/3 134 67 75
2 P 140 70 8/4 132 66 80
3 HP 132 66 8/4 124 62 82
4 HP 122 61 4/2 118 59 70
5 HP 114 57 0/0 114 57 60
6 HP 110 55 0/0 110 55 61
7 HP 110 55 2/1 108 54 65
8 HP 116 58 10/5 106 53 84
9 HP 120 60 6/3 114 57 75
10 HP 104 52 8/4 96 48 79
11 HP 109 54 6/3 103 51 75
12 HP 114 57 4/2 110 55 72
13 HP 70 35 8/4 62 31 83
14 HP 68 34 12/6 56 28 91
(BC)- Before Temperature Correction (P/T)- Proof Correction Amount/ Tralles Correction Amount
(AC)- After Temperature Correction P- Pint HP- Half Pint

I just wanted to share my first running of Sweet Feed LIkker. These are my collection jar measurements showing proof and Tralles. Tomorrow I plan to do some tasting and blending to see how everything tastes. I wanted to just do a mechanical run and take my newbe tastebuds out of the equation. I removed 150ml of foreshots and ended it with jar 14.

Thanks for the recipe and guide plines from this thread!
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I look forward to seeing how you like it.. Let us know what you think..
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

Kentucky shinner wrote:
*snippage*

after I run this through a pot still I use about half of my backset while it is still hot I put 7 pounds of sugar in the hot backset and convert my sugar. Let that cool to about 90F pour this back into your fermentor on your grain and yeast that was left in your bucket. add enough water to make 6 gallons normally my yeast wake up and are bubling away in about 4-5hours.

It seems very easy to me. I have really had good success with it. you can normally get your sweet feed at any farm supply store 50lbs for 7 bucks. It will last a long time
Greetings KS,

Thanks for the great recipe, I have second batch brewing, hope to run first one in a couple days. I have a question.... at what point do you need to replace spent grain when adding backset and sugar to next wash and do you replace it all or just part? I imagine if replacing you would want to cook if for a spell first?

Thanks
Stilly
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Stilly!

Didn't know about replacing the grain until after the second generation was in progress. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Replaced about four cups of grain after that. When done with distilling, I just use hot backset and add sugar and molasses (to get rid of the perservitive in it and I am begaining to think that isn't really necessary). Put that quart (4 cups) of grain in also (kill any critters you can or can't see). Let cool in the kitchen and then fill bucket back up.
I use 4 cups for a 5gal wash. Depending on how large your wash is. You may want more.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I always remove the grey looking grain on top of your grain bed. Then replace with the same about you removed.
KS
carolina moonshiner
Novice

Post by carolina moonshiner »

KS i have some distillers yeast now . How much distillers yeast do you use on your 5 gallons mix ?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would use one packet, that will be plenty for 5 gallon. remember you can use it again and again, by just adding some new grain , sugar and water. When your temp reaches about 80f in just a few hours the yeast will start working again.
Hope this helps.
KS
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

KS first off I hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas along with everybody else on here,secondly, I ran this thru my pot still after 2 cleaning runs of sugar wash to get all the nasties out from building her.
I kept the first 200 ml. for charcoal lighter and caught everything else in 200 ml. jars.
The 4th and 5th 200 ml jar was exceptional.
the rest I kept to rerun with the next batch, so ended up with 800 ml of really good smooth 45% abv after 2nd batch to age and reran everything else heads and tails in my 3rd run and came out with 4 quarts of 55% abv after blending and getting the flavor I wanted from the collection I still have some feints left to run again,but I have to say that the single run white is better in my opinion than the stronger 2nd spirit run.
Both have a really good taste but I just prefer the single run hearts.
I love this recipe,just wondering who else is running this thru a pot still and enjoys the single run of hearts. :D
I think I'm gonna set back and sip on a little today and watch it snow so far we have got about 4 to 5 inches since last night,first white Christmas for me here at home.at least weatherwise :wink:
Last edited by corncooker69 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am glad to hear that you like it. After it ages a while it is even better.. I have some that is almost a year old now. I cant wait to try it.
KS
carolina moonshiner
Novice

Post by carolina moonshiner »

KS i have a 1 pound bag of the distillers yeast :esmile: you said 1 pack for 5 gallons . So would 1 tsp be to much ? Not sure how much is in a pack.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

oh hell ya.. I did not know you had a 5 pound bag shit I would use 2 tablespoons. It should crank up in 4 hours or less... Wow 5 pounds.. that will last a long time.. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Corncooker!

I do sweetfeed and just single runs. Might try a little blending as you go along. Me, I keep it all, let it air out for about a week and usually blend just a little of the end tails with the hearts. Usually comes out at 57%. I don't drink it and I usually don't drink, but it makes for great sipping. Just a little nip every now and then.
The heads and rest of the tails go back into the next wash just before I fire up the pot still.
Might think of adding some blackstrap or fancy molasses or for that matter dark brown sugar to your next ferment. That and some tatter juice make a very smooth drink.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

cannonman wrote:Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman
just get the 3 grain. you dont want the alfalfa. Tell them its for feeding the deer.
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

rockchucker22 wrote:
Kentucky shinner wrote:
cannonman wrote:Kentucky Shinner and Tater
Cannonman
just get the 3 grain. you dont want the alfalfa. Tell them its for feeding the deer.
In Ca it's illegal to feed wild animals stock food, they even ask if your feeding chicken scratch to chicken cause by law they can't sell it to you if it's for wild birds. I get the 4 way all grain sweetfeed for horses, they don't know if or if not you have horses. By the way I'm on my 5th generation of sweetfeed. I do 50% 4way and 50% corn makes a great burbon.
What kind of still do you run it through to get the Burbon. It sounds yummy. I need to build something.. LOL send me a picture or two of your unit.
Last edited by cannonman on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

The "Hillbilly Flute" of course :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

Kentucky shinner wrote:The "Hillbilly Flute" of course :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.
I need to build something.. :D
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

cannonman wrote:Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.
If you read this thread from the begining, you will find all the information and links you need. :D

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

olddog wrote:
cannonman wrote:Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.
If you read this thread from the begining, you will find all the information and links you need. :D

OD
This sweet feed thread?? gott make sure im reading right.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

cannonman wrote:This sweet feed thread?? gott make sure im reading right.
Sorry my mistake, Read the Flute talk thread from the beginning. :oops:

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......