homemade shredder mill

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

corncooker69
Novice

homemade shredder mill

Post by corncooker69 »

Well i went to the local goodwill today to buy a blender to coarse cut some corn and rye or what have you, and they had sold the one I had called about.

So as usual I looked around for an alternative cheap source for a homemade grinder, and found a pretty nice 3 piece at a time paper shredder that is fairly heavy built.

I brought it back to work, disassembled, removed the photosensing eyes, and cut out the entry port to a manageable size of 2"x 7" , and then made a hopper out of some scrap sheetmetal.

I attatched the hopper to the top and proceeded to test the unit with some coffee beans that were left over from the burlap sacks that the local coffee plant had just gave me .

by the way the nice lady in the office there gave me 10 full size burlap sacks and told me I could come back and get as many as I needed , because they just throw them away.

The new unit which I am either going to call the shrinder or the gredder :wink: worked flawlessly,
so I brought it home to test on some more fomiddable opponents and then ran 10 lbs. of feed corn through her and much to my amazement she did an awesome job, a good coarse grind about 3 to 4 pieces per kernel when ran through one time.

Now I know this is by far no commercial outfit , and may not last that long, but for $3.99 and about 1 hour of my time I am very sassafied :lol: with my new toy :D
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: homemade shredder mill

Post by condensificator »

very interesting. keep us posted.

i ended up getting my wife a grain mill for her kitchenaid mixer for christmas (lucky for me she's a chef and will actually use it), but it was hella expensive and if the thrift store gredder holds up, you've just opened up a mighty door!
ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 »

ditto that, only I bought my wife the kitchen aid and bought the gain mill for myself.....
thinking inside the box is for squares....
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

Quick video of the gredder in action. :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQhd2W6SFpY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by corncooker69 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

corncooker69 wrote:Quick video of the gredder in action. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=015_Z_33_zU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Says "This video is private."
Braz
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

Try it now , I forgot to add access from this site , so I just went in and made it public.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Nice video
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Fantastic! I just love the outside the box creativity that shows up on this forum.
Braz
DrMalt
Novice

Post by DrMalt »

Getting an idea to rip into the wifes shreader to use the motor and box to somehow connect it to my malt mill. Looks to be about the right speed and torque.
WeeStiller
Bootlegger

Post by WeeStiller »

Nice video. Was that the corn screaming for help??
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Never ceases to amaze the amount of talent HD acquires...

Thanks corncooker69, you just made life a little easier for me...
I have an old shredder that was given to me so I'm gonna have a look at the workins...

Thanks again man... :D :D :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

No problem Samohon, I am glad you liked it.

I am currently working on another grinder mill from a discarded blower fan and motor combo. that was at work in the scrap pile.

I have allready fitted it with a housing and made 6 cutter knives from tool steel and am planning on welding on a threaded shaft and making a sift housing to fit inside the drum housing that I adapted to fit on the electric motor.

Once done with this I will try to fit a hopper and put it all together.

When I get it done I will post a video.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

corncooker69 i like your innovation, this might be entertaining, this is a small one they make them to several hundred horsepower. cob
http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/shred_of_ ... r_2009.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

cob wrote:corncooker69 i like your innovation, this might be entertaining, this is a small one they make them to several hundred horsepower. cob
http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/shred_of_ ... r_2009.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks cob, no messin with that shredder... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D :D :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

Now thats a shredder!!!
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

Now, that's the ticket :D