sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

corncooker69
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by corncooker69 »

Just finished my 4th generation of this wonderful recipe adding 25% backset to the fermenters each successive run, and I have to say so far this is my favorite recipe yet.

The more I run this wash the better it gets, I have a few gallons of white and a few on toasted white oak and apple wood, and I like it both ways but the white is my favorite.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

corncooker69 wrote:Just finished my 4th generation of this wonderful recipe adding 25% backset to the fermenters each successive run, and I have to say so far this is my favorite recipe yet.

The more I run this wash the better it gets, I have a few gallons of white and a few on toasted white oak and apple wood, and I like it both ways but the white is my favorite.
Me too corncooker69 .. Pass me the sweet feed white dog my freind... :D
radiatorboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by radiatorboy »

g'day everyone. i thinking about giving sweet feed whisky ago. any one in oz try this if so want you ask for at the feed store.
GO THE BUNNYS
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Go to the feed store and TELL them you want to look at the grain bill tag attached to or printed on the bag.
Look for an all grain cracked corn and oats with molasses addedgrain bill.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

And like previously stated try to find a supplier that is all grain and stay away from pelletized sweet feed.

I get mine from a friend who has his own mill,

75% oats
25% cracked corn
molasses

and then I add my own milled rye and a little more corn to this which makes it about,

50%oats
35% corn
15% rye and of course the molasses
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

This question is for KS and any others as well, how long do you usually air your white dog sweet feed whiskey, and how long do you usually age it before you consume?

I usually air it for 2 to 3 days with coffee filter over the top to keep the nasties out, and then try to let it set about 30 days on the couple of pints that I have set aside for sippin on while I am making more and letting my runs that I have put on oak age.

Does this seem long enough to you , I know after 30 days to me it seems to be pretty good.

Just wanted some insight from those who may have aged it a little longer, I have also sipped on it after only 4 to 5 days and it is still pretty dang good in this ole boys opinion.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i guess i air mine out for along time,,, well not a long time, but as long as i can stand. i just leave my quart jar lids loosly screwed on and then consume as needed.... 2 or 3 months is about as longs as i have aged, (i dont get to run my still that much :( so i aint got a big aging stock ).. but the whole time its in the closet,,, its airing... i aint noticed no big loss
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Anymore I just use a doubled over paper towel. Screw the band on without the top lid. Do a sniff test from time to time.
Mix a little in a hot toddy. Make a quart/liter every two weeks. I guess it gets aged a month or so, except for that jar way in the back.
Now thats going to sit there a year.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

haha,, the jar way in the back,,,, i almost forgot about that one 8)
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

to me it seems the longer I can stay away from it the better it gets. It all depends on your will power.. I started running more so I did not have problem letting it get some age on it..
2-3 months is my favorite, and also the longest I have let it go.. :D :D
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

I just got through sampling some of my 30 day old white sweet feed that was put up at 57% abv mixed 30% white to 70% blackberry cider that was setting in the building. :idea:

All I can say is I will be adding some of this cider to a quart of my white and let it age a little.
:D :P :D
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

i could not get hold of sweet feed like stuff ,at our co op the horses food is pellets.
so i tried making my own , buying ruff cut corn (5 kg)
also bought 2 kg of crushed wheat and 5 kg brown suger.
also 1 small bottle of molasses, mixed it , adding boiling water over, let it cool, added 40 grams of bakers yeast

its now bubbling away , the Hearst makes kinda large bubbles from the bottom
the mash is a weak old, hope for a nice outcome.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Flip! Sounds like it's time for you to open your own feed store.
Looks good to me.
ArkyJ
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sounds prett darn good to me. I have been wanting to try brown sugar. Keep us posted my friend
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Post by dakotasnake »

just thought id throw this into the boiler. i bought a bag of sf at campells supply, i fergot to bring my readen glasses so i couldent rad the lable. the guy said it was all grain but when i opened it it was at least 50% pallets. i ran it anyways according to the recipe and the pellets swelled up like a 2 pekerd billy goat. but anyways i finished it off in the fermetater and ran it thru the pot still. not to pleased with the outcome. i tryed it again but this time i went betty crocker and got into the womans cabinet and used her collender like youd use on spegetti and sifted 99% of the pellets out fermetted that out and ran that. what a difference, im very pleased with the outcome. if i cant find any all grain sf thats a second choice for me. by the way the chickens and wild birds like the waste pallets im even getten more eggs than i did b4. ill be drinken my whiskey outa a mason jar.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
EscarpmentDew
Novice

Post by EscarpmentDew »

Has anyone added 20-20-20 to speed fermentation up? I know extra nutrients and vitamins aren't necessary with the sweetfeed but time is a factor too. I have tried this in an all-grain recipe and I always run with a OG of 1070 and after 4-5 days of 26C I will get 0994. Then again, I am never exactly ready to run the still when the mash is ready.
Moved on up from distilling neutrals from simple cereal mashes to experimenting with grains and oaking.
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

Today I was able to get a bag of high country sweet feed for horses and I am making a batch today as I type. LOL :D I am following Kentucky shinners reciepe. Making a three gal batch. I hope it comes out great. I have alot of people waiting to taste it at an up coming event during the after hours activities. :twisted: Also making a Gerber Batch again to run through my new still. I should be able to run a cleaning run tomarrow.... :D I will post the results of the cleaning run then.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Cannon.
Don't be disappointed if your first generation seems to be harsh. Generations down the line just keep getting better and better. Gen 7 was distilled this morning and was temped to drink it comming out the parrot.
ArkyJ
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

ArkyJ wrote:Cannon.
Don't be disappointed if your first generation seems to be harsh. Generations down the line just keep getting better and better. Gen 7 was distilled this morning and was temped to drink it comming out the parrot.
ArkyJ
Made with the same grains as already used? WOW. A 50lb. bag will last for ever... Mine smells like wet fresh cut grasses. Alot of feed is floating to the top. Looks like a marsh wet land. Its bubbling away though. The Gerber one is bubbling and rolling away too.... I have to read back but you just add more suger and yeast and it takes off again with the sweet feed, right. No need to add molases either right?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

cannonman wrote:
ArkyJ wrote:Cannon.
ArkyJ
Made with the same grains as already used? WOW. A 50lb. bag will last for ever... Mine smells like wet fresh cut grasses. Alot of feed is floating to the top. Looks like a marsh wet land. Its bubbling away though. The Gerber one is bubbling and rolling away too.... I have to read back but you just add more suger and yeast and it takes off again with the sweet feed, right. No need to add molases either right?
I dont add more molasses but some have. I remove the spent grain and replace what I remove with fresh. Then add more water and sugar, stir really well, cover and leave it. It will be bubbling away normally by the next day or sooner.
KS...
IF you can find all grain I think you will like it better.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

I like a Rumsky thus, the added molasses. On generation 2 and beyond. Take 25 to 50% of your backwash from gen 1, add your new sugar and a couple of handfulls of new sweetfeed into container of backwash and let sugar melt or invert sugar, your choice. Add cool water into container of backwash to bring up to desired quanity. I use spray nozzle on kitchen sink to add oxygen back into new wash. Remove a couple of handfulls of spent sweetfeed from fermenter. When your new backwash has cooled down to where you can stick your finger into it and not feel the liquid or cooler, pour into ferementer. Add cover and stand back. Some new washes take off in an hour and puke. Some take 6 to 24 hours and happly buble away.
ArkyJ
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have had some take off pretty quick myself. I have been thinking of trying brown sugar but have not tried it yet
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

ArkyJ wrote:I like a Rumsky thus, the added molasses. On generation 2 and beyond. Take 25 to 50% of your backwash from gen 1, add your new sugar and a couple of handfulls of new sweetfeed into container of backwash and let sugar melt or invert sugar, your choice. Add cool water into container of backwash to bring up to desired quanity. I use spray nozzle on kitchen sink to add oxygen back into new wash. Remove a couple of handfulls of spent sweetfeed from fermenter. When your new backwash has cooled down to where you can stick your finger into it and not feel the liquid or cooler, pour into ferementer. Add cover and stand back. Some new washes take off in an hour and puke. Some take 6 to 24 hours and happly buble away.
ArkyJ
So, if I read this right you do not add any more yeast???
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

No cannonman, if you've kept your yeast bed healthy and happy, that is wet and in a good temp range,you do not need to add more. The yeast thats in the bottom of your fermenter is good to go.....
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:No cannonman, if you've kept your yeast bed healthy and happy, that is wet and in a good temp range,you do not need to add more. The yeast thats in the bottom of your fermenter is good to go.....
Cool, thanks. I will see how it goes this coming week end if its ready to go.
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

I just threw together a 12 gal batch yesterday.

Horsemens edge 12% sweet
4 lbs brown sugar (all i had)
10 lbs white sugar
2 packs whiskey yeast w/ag

Maybe I should have taken it easy on the sugar because of the enzymes but, I'll see what happens.
It took off pretty darn fast and strong. Smells great.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Nah, your fine. Maybe another pound of sugar, but your good to go.
Enjoy
ArkyJ
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

you should be fine on your sugar.. no worries man..
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

LHD wrote:I just threw together a 12 gal batch yesterday.

Horsemens edge 12% sweet
4 lbs brown sugar (all i had)
10 lbs white sugar
2 packs whiskey yeast w/ag

Maybe I should have taken it easy on the sugar because of the enzymes but, I'll see what happens.
It took off pretty darn fast and strong. Smells great.
wait,,, did i miss something????? what size is your ferment?
spooky
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

Anybody else using this in blends.

I have been double stillin this wash and cutting to 70% abv and then I take half of a pint of that and add my apple pie mix that I make from some Apple cider , brown sugar and cinnamon sticks. :D :D