Copper Pot Still for Whiskey, Again ;)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

awhiskeydrink
Novice

Copper Pot Still for Whiskey, Again ;)

Post by awhiskeydrink »

I see this topic comes up quite a bit, and I've been searching the forum via goggle looking for the answer. I've come close, but not exactly :oops:

In another post Best Method for Heating Copper Still Smokehouse Shiner told me about his experience with the Colonel. He thought it might take upwards me upwards of 6 hrs. to run the still, but this was the one I was going to order :/...

I'm looking for a copper pot still (i've read "gooseneck" whiskey still) that I can get about 1-2 liters of spirit out of each run to age to whiskey in charred white-oak hobby barrels. I though I would need a 20 liter still. This forum is a wealth of information and you seem like the experts. I've been reading about it for months, but would love to hear your opinions & thoughts.

Swift
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper Pot Still for Whiskey, Again ;)

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

K first off I want to clarify that my comments were not from personal experience with the Colonel. Never dealt with the man. Just my observations on the design from looking at the pics. I'm not sure what your question is here Swift. You'll find tons of info on potstills here and on the parent site. Plenty enough to make an informed purchase or build your own....Also you were asking about a 20 GALLON still in the other thread not 20 LITERS. Big difference... What part of the world are you in BTW?
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

I've read through your post a couple of times, and I'm not sure what you're asking. I run a 15 gallon keg boiler, a 2" column, and a 42" leibeg for a condenser. Its fired with a large, high pressure propane burner.

There's no way I'd buy a pot still as they're easy to build.

I'm just finishing up a second all copper still with a 25 gallon copper boiler, and horsehead that goes into a copper worm in a barrel. It should go online this week. Much more of a challenge than the keg with a column, but I'm bringing back a piece of history.

A copper boiler, with a proper copper gooseneck will either be a ton of work, or a ton of cash.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
awhiskeydrink
Novice

Post by awhiskeydrink »

Whoa, whoa, sorry guys; my bad. I'm new at this.

Smokehouse Shiner was clear that the Colonel made good stills in the other post.

I was just looking for some good option for a copper still to purchase for making whiskey.

I used liters because thats what my recipes from scotland, the uk and even kentucky included.

Sorry again,
and thanks for any help.
Last edited by awhiskeydrink on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bull Rider wrote:I've read through your post a couple of times, and I'm not sure what you're asking. I run a 15 gallon keg boiler, a 2" column, and a 42" leibeg for a condenser. Its fired with a large, high pressure propane burner.

There's no way I'd buy a pot still as they're easy to build.

I'm just finishing up a second all copper still with a 25 gallon copper boiler, and horsehead that goes into a copper worm in a barrel. It should go online this week. Much more of a challenge than the keg with a column, but I'm bringing back a piece of history.

A copper boiler, with a proper copper gooseneck will either be a ton of work, or a ton of cash.

Bull.
Bull Rider looking forward to seeing pics of your all copper build, did you design the plans or are you using Pinto's template or another one you found? I have thought about doing something similar, priced out a 1/2 sheet of 20 gauge copper and figured it will cost a few pennies to build something that brings back a piece of history.
awhiskeydrink
Novice

Post by awhiskeydrink »

What part of the world are you in BTW?
Texas