All grain sweet feed mash recipe

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

troublemaker
Novice

All grain sweet feed mash recipe

Post by troublemaker »

I've made a sugar wash sweet feed whiskey which is unbelievable after aging on oak for a few months. Is there a recipe not using sugar? I used the "search" button but nothing specific came up. I can figure one out easily enough but was just wondering if anyone has already done one. Thanks

If you always play by the rules you're gonna miss all the fun
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Re: All grain sweet feed mash recipe

Post by ArkyJ »

For shits and giggles, I do a lot of reading and I can't remember ever seeing a recipe for a sweetfeed mash.
Like you said. Would be easy. Boil it up. cool to 155 or so. dump in some malted whatever.
Ofcourse you'll have the sugar from the molasses.
Would be interested in what you come up with on the final product.
ArkyJ
troublemaker
Novice

Post by troublemaker »

ok thanks. I'll give it a shot and post my results
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

3 year old post. Did this ever happen? Anyone have experience with this?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Wouldn't be worth it in my opinion to do it from a premix bag and adding malted grains after cooking up the corn. Maybe with liquid enzyme, but I think a post COB blend would yield a better spirit.

AC
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

most of the corn in the sweet feed is not cracked last i looked so even the enzymes would have issues i think...

FS
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

halfbaked wrote:Are you talking about UJSM???? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=725
The OP asked for no sugar AG recipe using a sweetfeed mix. Other post referring to it no
@ fully my all grain from Tractor Supply has a nice crack in all the grains including the corn. Not a mill but a crack for sure.

AC
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Right. I am asking if he did a UJSM. Its not AG if it has molasses in it. Does that matter to you troublemaker (OP)? (Are you going to try it with sweetfeed is what I am trying to fiugre out) I think Jimbo or someone did a puritans pride all grain or a 5 grain.
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

I know this is an old but this isd Jack Burton taken to anyone listing.

I'm looking at doing an AG of sweet feed. For anyone who has done one, good or bad let us know.
Equipment:
10 gallon igloo cooler
3 6 gallon ( run 3x 5 gallon batches)
8 gallon boiler with a 3" 48" column 24" liebig condenser.(pot still)
Questions:
How much SF should (or did you ) be used for a 5 gallon batch?
Did running the SF thetough a mill help with fermentation ?
How much did you yield on a stripping run?
Have you added a little like a gallon or less of new sw to your sprite run?
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I'm making batches in 55 gallon drums of this coming soon.

70% corn
15% malted barley
15% oats
2 gallons molasses/ 50 gallon mash.

2lbs/gallon total grain bill. Simple Math.

I just ordered a 720W barrel band heater, adjustable thermostat, up to 195°F to hold temp on corn after adding boiling water.

After a few hours in the enzymes I'm going to knock it down to 152 and I have the malted barley and oats, hold it there for a few hours, add my gluco and molasses, then when I get it down cold to take a reading I'm going to add whatever inverted sugar I need to hit 10%.

I like the sugar head sweet feed but it's a little sweet on the sugar so I figured just a touch of added sugar maybe 2% to 3% to bump up the alcohol will give a nice blend. Because of molasses makes it not a true all green I don't see a reason not to add enough sugar to get to 10% ABV.

I'll be doing my write up once I get this squared away early December. Run it twice in a 26 gallon boiler
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

You may not need the barrel band. The thermal mass of 55 gallons will hold it a few hours without any real problems. SCD does a large mash like your talking about with blankets here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703
:)
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Ben wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:17 am You may not need the barrel band. The thermal mass of 55 gallons will hold it a few hours without any real problems. SCD does a large mash like your talking about with blankets here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703
I read through that. The band was $380 shipped. I figure, with my previous numbers, I don't want to take chances.
I'm done cutting corners or leaving anything up to chance