Is my mash done

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mick503
Novice

Is my mash done

Post by Mick503 »

Please excuse me for my newbieness. I have read everything I can on here (note* it is IMPOSSIBLE to read everything) I have my first batch of UJSM going in the basement. I think it is done. I did not get a hydrometer until thursday, so I didn't measure until today. It has a SG of exactly 1.0 and while it sill releases bubbles into the ferm lock, there is no longer a froth on top or visible bubbles in the mash.

Also, it has a VERY sour smell to it. I am assuming this is correct.

Anyway, going to strip it this afternoon. If it goes quick enough I may stay up late and make my cuts. I will keep ya posted.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is my mash done

Post by Fastill »

I have had mine go down to .995-.990 a few times, but also have run it at 1.00 if that is when I had the chance to run it. If you have time, let it sit Untill it stops dropping sg.. I have had airlocks that would bubble for a while after ferment was complete.
Check it now and again in a couple days, if it doesn't change, run it.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

If you're at 1.000 then it's either fermented out, or close to being fermented out. Sometimes my washes will go under 1.000.
Mick503 wrote: If it goes quick enough I may stay up late and make my cuts. I will keep ya posted.
Most folks don't do cuts on a strip run, just strip it out. You should end up with about a gallon of low wines for each four or so gallons of wash (give or take). Save the low wines until you get enough for a boiler charge when diluted to 40% ABV, then do a spirit run.

Spirit runs are where you do the cuts. The bigger the boiler charge for the spirit run, the easier it is to make cuts. Just don't overload the boiler or it will puke.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Mick503
Novice

Post by Mick503 »

I should have been a little more clear. If I have time to do a spirit run I will make cuts. Is it ok to do both on same day? I really just did the UJSM for a quick and easy first mash, probably not going to keep going with it. Just curious as to my output and such. A little troubleshooting before making a big go at it.
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Mick503 wrote:If I have time to do a spirit run I will make cuts. Is it ok to do both on same day?
Sure, but usually there's not enough product to do a decent spirit run from one strip run. But there's no reason why you can't give it a go, you're probably going to end up with a product that's difficult to make cuts on.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Even in potstill mode, I don't do stripping runs for my ujssm type washes, I run slow, make my cuts and age on oak. I like the flavor I get this way but stripping runs will also make a fine spirit and you can do several washes fast and only do 1 slow run to save time overall.
Let the jars air out for a day or two before making your cuts, you will have a better time figuring out what you have.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Mick, you can taste your mash to determine if it is done, if it tastes sweet it is not done, if it tastes like stale flat beer, it's ready to run.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Mick503
Novice

Post by Mick503 »

Well, I just got done running it. Everything worked great. No hitches in my setup, except I wish I had a little more heating power to get me up to temp, but it maintains nicely. End result after tossing the first 150ml was exactly a pint of 70%ABV liquor. Very clear, and has a good smell to it. I only had a chance to run half of my wash, so a pint of 140proof off of 2.5 gal. of wash is pretty good to me.

Any thoughts?