Mash to Moonshine Ratio

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ghettoDstiller
Novice

Mash to Moonshine Ratio

Post by ghettoDstiller »

Just did my first batch ever... I did not seem to get as much finished product as I would have thought... 4 gallons of corn mash should produce how much finished product??

Thanks GD
blind drunk
retired

Re: Mash to Moonshine Ratio

Post by blind drunk »

A thimble full :mrgreen:
I do all my own stunts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

that depends on ABV of mash.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

There is no "ratio"... There are more variables than previously mentioned...

%ABV of the wash/mash
Pot Still or Reflux Column
Whether doing a strip or spirit run
How deep into the tails you run
etc...

See: Calculation of a Pot Still Distillation Run (your one freebie)

Also make sure you take the time to do ample research before proceeding with practical application... The title of this topic indicates that you have not yet done enough of what we consider mandatory reading... You'll benefit from learning the answers to questions you don't even know you have yet... You'll also save the membership from having to answer the same questions that have already been answered countless times...
ghettoDstiller
Novice

Post by ghettoDstiller »

Thanks for the responses... I have been reading "Alaskan bootlegger's bible" as well as done a fair amount of research / reading online.

Pot still

I'm still working on the specific nomenclature but it's a 4 gallons distilled water, 4lb cornmeal, 5lb sugar, yeast with a 6 day fermentation period. As I mentioned it was my very first run so I'm learning and trying new recipes as I go.

Thanks for your benevolence.
Last edited by ghettoDstiller on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

ghettoDstiller wrote:Thanks for the responses... I have been reading "Alaskan bootlegger's bible" as well as done a fair amount of research / reading online. Thanks for your benevolence.
Go toss that book in the trash. In my opinion that's the worst book ever written on distilling. Go look at the part on potato vodka and you will see what I mean.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I thought it was a pretty good answer? :wtf:

I don't get it?

Oh nevermind I must have read that post wrong. :crazy:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
ghettoDstiller
Novice

Post by ghettoDstiller »

rubber duck wrote:
ghettoDstiller wrote:Thanks for the responses... I have been reading "Alaskan bootlegger's bible" as well as done a fair amount of research / reading online. Thanks for your benevolence.
Go toss that book in the trash. In my opinion that's the worst book ever written on distilling. Go look at the part on potato vodka and you will see what I mean.

A friend of mine who makes wine had the book so I figured it was better than nothing.... Do you have something you recommend?
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Manufacture of whiskey, Brandy & cordials by Irving Hirsch, if you can find a copy.

The complete distiller By Mike Nixon, is pretty good.

Modern Moonshine techniques by Bill Owens is ok, but it's a little vague for a beginner. I don't agree with everything in the book but that's ok, our opinions just differ.

On the technical side Riku's book is really good.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
ghettoDstiller
Novice

Post by ghettoDstiller »

Thanks very much for the guidance without the uppity attitude, nice to know everyone on here hasn't forgotten where they came from. :)