Sweet Feed Wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

billy_bob_95
Novice

Sweet Feed Wash

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Put this wash together last night. It's bubbling away right now. Took a while for it to start working. Pitched the yeast last night around 2:00 am and it was working at 9:00 am. I got the recipe from the Colonels website. Seems like something is missing from this wash. Perhaps nutrients for the yeast. Is there useful nutrients in the sweet feed for the yeast to use? Do I need to add something like DAP, tomato paste, multivitiam? Whacta fellers think?

SWEET FEED MOONSHINE
5 gallon bucket of sweet feed
(Sweet feed has several different grains and molasses making it a great tasting whiskey.)
1package of yeast (using distillers yeast will increase quality and quantity) I pitched 1/2 cup of Bakers Yeast
Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches deep
Add 5 pounds of sugar.
Fill 1/2 full with boiling water.
Mix until sugar is dissolved.
Let it set for 90 minutes and then finish filling with cool water.
Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recommended temperature on the yeast label.
Cover
4-5 days later it's ready to run
This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well.
My liquor is always 150-180 proof.
I don't recommend this for pot stills unless you filter it by pouring it through a pillow case into a 5 gallon bucket after it has finished fermenting. Otherwise the meal will settle and burn in the bottom of your still. Some folks leave the solids in the pillow case and tie it off where it will not touch the bottom of the still.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Sweet Feed Wash

Post by Dnderhead »

yes that is old rescipe and no you should not nead any nutreants (grain,molasses has what is neaded) but with out cooking and enzymes/malt you are making
somthing like UJSM . Iv also found that not all the grain is crushed.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

If you use the ujsm method of adding backset, sugar and water to the grains in the bottom of your fermenter for a few generations (8 or 10) you'll have a superior product cheaper and no wastage.

Distillers yeast is best for this method.
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

I might give that a try Punkin if I like the product this wash produces. Up till now I've only tried WPOSW and Birdwatchers.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Got some of this yeast haven't tried it yet. http://homebrewheaven.com/super-start-- ... t--1lb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Used this yeast with WPOSW http://www.milehidistilling.com/Distill ... /13040.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Used Bakers yeast with Birdwatcher recipe
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Should this wash be stirred after it has started fermenting? Are should I just let it alone? Stirred it really good before I put the lid on it.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Some stir, some don't. I prefer to leave it go. Less chance of getting an infected ferment.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

I have two of these washes that are about done. I'm looking to try and reuse the yeast and the sweet feed left in the bottom of the fermenter. Here is the method I have in mind for reusing it.

Rack off the liquid portion
Replace half the old sweet feed with new
Add more sugar

In order for this to I would have to add the boiling water with dissovled sugar to the new sweet feed in a seprate bucket and allow it to cool before mixing the old with new. Because if I add the boiling water to the bucket that has the old sweet feed and yeast in it the yeast will be killed off.

Am I going about this in the right way are not?
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
Samogon
Novice

Post by Samogon »

I would treat it like a UJSM and dissolve the new sugar in a gallon or so of hot backset (what's left in the still after running the previous batch) and adding that back to the bucket when cool. If you add cool water first (and you should add it right after you take out the wash so the grain and yeast doesn't dry out while you are running the still), the backset can be warmer when added. If this isn't clear try reading http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Uncle_Jes ... ash_Method
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Drained the wash off the grain today. Covered grain and yeast back with water. Dissolved about 7 to 8 lb of sugar in 1 1/4 gallons of backset from the boiler. Added the mixture to the bucket once it cooled enough and added enough fresh spring water to make 5 gallon. Stirred everything up. Dipped the grain out that was floating on the top and replaced it with fresh. Covered it up and put the airlock in. Bam! It started bubbling in about 30 mins. I still can't believe I got it to work on the first try. This method sure cuts down on cost! Only had the cost of sugar and a little bit of sweet feed. I'm easily exicited and amused can you tell!
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Most women would say that most men are easily excited and amused. :D
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Now that you mention it I recall my wife telling me that before. LOL!!!
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Cooked a batch from this wash yesterday. Is it just me are does the grain washes have a sharper taste than just a sugar wash like WPOSW or Birdwacthers? Cut some of it down to 100 proof and it is till rather wicked.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

cut it down to 80 proof and let it air for 2 days. makes a great sipping whiskey or a great whiskey and coke. I have run several of these washes and have tried it with leaving the grain in the pillow case resting a couple of inches off the bottom of the still, and just racking the juice and running it. The grain left in the pillow case is the best way for great flavoring.
Now I will have to try it U.J. way.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Ended up making some apple pie drink with this batch.

1 Large Braburn apple - It was what was on sale
1TBS Apple Pie Spice
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1/4 Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup of Raisins
Finished filling the quart jar with licker

Just been sittin a few hours but I had to sample a little. I think the licker and the flavorings are going to really compliment each other.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

billy_bob_95 wrote:I have two of these washes that are about done. I'm looking to try and reuse the yeast and the sweet feed left in the bottom of the fermenter. Here is the method I have in mind for reusing it.

Rack off the liquid portion
Replace half the old sweet feed with new
Add more sugar

In order for this to I would have to add the boiling water with dissovled sugar to the new sweet feed in a seprate bucket and allow it to cool before mixing the old with new. Because if I add the boiling water to the bucket that has the old sweet feed and yeast in it the yeast will be killed off.

Am I going about this in the right way are not?
Yup, that's what you do. However, I rack off the liquid and refill with warm water (not hot enough to kill the yeast), dump in the sugar and stir the crap out of it. If you stir it before adding sugar the white spent corn doesn't float as easily. Add sugar and a LOT of corn floats. I have a kids plastic sifter for the beach, I use that to scoop up the spent corn. Add new corn, same amount you took out. After stirring well to 1) areate 2) mix the sugar in and 3) to get the chaff or crap/debris from the new corn, I put in two table spoons of lemon juice and either sprinkle new yeast on (even though it's not needed) cover it and let it go. Bubbling hard in a couple hours.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

You would be wise to quit adding lemon juice on a recycleing wash/mash, especially if using backset. The Ph will drop of it's own accord, in my experience, to levels that are detrimental to the efficiency of the wash.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Been watching the PH on my backsets, most are running around 3-3.2. That's pretty low on its own, if your fresh water is starting at 7 you can kind of figure where it's gonna go. For what it's worth.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
steve541
Novice

Post by steve541 »

What about the trace minerals in th sweet feed? Are they a problem?
Milehi 2" diameter Reflux tower
TXnational
Novice

Re: Aging?

Post by TXnational »

Just distilled the low wines - really pleased with this recipe.
Should I worry about aging sweet-feed whiskey? Advise me if you've had a good experience with doing that. Should I think about medium-toast or heavy-toast oak?

Suggestions needed.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Aging?

Post by Prairiepiss »

TXnational wrote:Just distilled the low wines - really pleased with this recipe.
Should I worry about aging sweet-feed whiskey? Advise me if you've had a good experience with doing that. Should I think about medium-toast or heavy-toast oak?

Suggestions needed.
Look in the sweetfeed recipe thread in the tried and true section. You will find all the info you would ever need on sweetfeed. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bigwheel
Bootlegger

Post by bigwheel »

Well hope yall are right about all this stuff. Just invested in a 50 lb. bag of some kinda sweet feed today. Throwed my back plumb out of kilter to lug it into the man-cave. I dont see what is going to be fermentable in there either other than the molasses maybe. What is the hint on running it through the reflux still? I was lead to believe no matter what went in the input side it come out as white lightning on the other side. Looks like something flavorful would be best run in the pot still mode. Now somebody correct my thinking here. Thanks.
joebob
Novice

Post by joebob »

Just starting to mess around a little with recipes to see which does the best for me. Trying to make the sweet feed wash and I am a little confused about the way it is written. So I wanted to ask this question about the sweet feed wash, It calls for a 5 gal bucket of sweet feed, then says cover bottom of bucket about 4" etc. didn't see where it says add the rest of the sweet feed. Started yesterday, added all the sweet feed, wash is very thick. Did I do this correct or do you only use the 4" in the bottom of the bucket?
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ joebob,

Welcome to the Forum.

Strongly suggest visiting the ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum and closely review the ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ thread in its entirety ->

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=14586
joebob wrote:.....Did I do this correct.....
No you did not follow the Sweetfeed Whisky recipe correctly.

Nowhere in the Sweetfeed Whisky recipe does it say a “5 gal bucket of sweet feed”

The Sweetfeed Whisky recipe says “4 inch of Sweetfeed in the bottom of the bucket”

Nowhere in the Sweetfeed Whisky recipe does it say to add “all the Sweetfeed”.

If you read the entire Sweetfeed recipe narrative you will notice that it says “get your sweet feed at any farm supply store 50 pounds for 7 bucks. It will last a long time”

With adding “all the Sweetfeed” it would be very difficult for 50 pounds of Sweetfeed to “last a long time”.

Regards,
Coaster
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

ummm ur gonna need alot more buckets QUICK! and a Ass load of sugar! or start over with 4 inches in the 5 gal bucket,,,live n learn i guess
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
joebob
Novice

Post by joebob »

Figured this out, got very large container, much more sugar, and yeast and added more water. Just had to do figure out how much to add. If you look at the 1st line it says 5 gallon bucket sweet feed. No big deal got it working and hoperfully we will see what happens next week. Thanks for your help
SWEET FEED MOONSHINE
5 gallon bucket of sweet feed
(Sweet feed has several different grains and molasses making it a great tasting whiskey.)
1package of yeast (using distillers yeast will increase quality and quantity) I pitched 1/2 cup of Bakers Yeast
Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches deep
Add 5 pounds of sugar.
Fill 1/2 full with boiling water.
Mix until sugar is dissolved.
Let it set for 90 minutes and then finish filling with cool water.
Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recommended temperature on the yeast label.
Cover
4-5 days later it's ready to run
This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well.
My liquor is always 150-180 proof.
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

yeah ur right the wording is a lil off...i can see how some could be confused...maybe should have said something like "for a 5 gallon bucket of sweetfeed wash"

look at the bright side tho ...in a week or so ull have plenty of drink! if u can find time between the runs lol
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ joebob,

Perchance did you actually read the ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ Forum posting in the ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum that I reference in the my Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33AM posting in this thread?

The ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ recipe in ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum is a known proven recipe reviewed by numerous experienced and knowledgeable Forum Members. You are adding 5 pounds of sugar and the ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ recipe in the referenced ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum calls for 7 pounds of sugar. Instead of relying on a recipe it would be prudent to use hydrometer and actually measure the mash wash specific gravity and adjust as required. If unaware of how to use a hydrometer suggest reviewing the ‘How to read a Mash Hydrometer’ thread located in the “Must Read” New distiller reading Lounge.

It appears that your goal is make 150-180 proof alcohol. Most Home Distiller Forum Members strive to make a Quality Drinkable distilled sprit and not focused on making paint thinner. The proof of the finished product has nothing to do with the Quality or Drinkability of the finished product.

Regards,
Coaster
joebob
Novice

Post by joebob »

Coaster,
Thanks and yes I read the Tried and True Recipes you sent, Hopefully it will all come out next week it was working great after the additions we made when we looked earlier this afternoon. I think it be great after distilling in the new still I received today. Been using a small electic but got a gas model. Thanks for all the help sure I will make more mistakes before I am through. It is good to be able to ask questions to people that have been through the trial and error and don't care to give advise. My friend and I am just started this venture but we're having a ball and very determined to get this right and make our own whiskey.
Frosteecat
forum scribe and editing bitch

Post by Frosteecat »

I do a 7 gallon wash and over index the sugar (2lbs brown, 8lbs white) put in some honey (@1.5 cups) for yeast happiness and 12 oz bottle of molasses. I put whole uncooked raisins (@1 lb per 5 gallons) in the fermenter when I dump the wash in. End product has been sweet and tasty even on 1st run. Use about 1/2 backseat and 1/2 fresh water on the boil, grains loose in the pot...Your results may vary! :)
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
 William Faulkner (1897-1962)