Is sugar wash safe to drink ?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jono091
Novice

Is sugar wash safe to drink ?

Post by jono091 »

Just household sugar + water + bakers yeast -undistilled. Does it contain methanol, if so why doesn't ordinary home beer making contain methanol ?
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Is sugar wash safe to drink ?

Post by Prairiepiss »

It does. And sugar, water, yeast needs nutrients.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Ordinary beer does contain a small amount of methanol. Sugar washes may contain a small amount of methanol. Technically if it's just sugar, water, and yeast it shouldn't contain methanol, but it's not going to ferment either so there won't be much there except sweet water.

You will not go blind from drinking your own home brew. You will never go blind from drinking a non distilled product unless it has had methanol added to it.

Do you know what they do in the hospital for methanol poisoning? They administer pharmaceutical grade ethanol intravenously because ethanol is the antidote for methanol.

So there is no problem with drinking home brew, go make a batch of sugar head and drink yourself sick.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
jono091
Novice

Post by jono091 »

rubber duck wrote:Ordinary beer does contain a small amount of methanol. Sugar washes may contain a small amount of methanol. Technically if it's just sugar, water, and yeast it shouldn't contain methanol, but it's not going to ferment either so there won't be much there except sweet water.

You will not go blind from drinking your own home brew. You will never go blind from drinking a non distilled product unless it has had methanol added to it.

Do you know what they do in the hospital for methanol poisoning? They administer pharmaceutical grade ethanol intravenously because ethanol is the antidote for methanol.

So there is no problem with drinking home brew, go make a batch of sugar head and drink yourself sick.

What do you mean it's not going to ferment, ofc it does ?
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

It needs nutrients to ferment. You might get a little yeast action without adding nutrients to that wash, but it will not ferment properly. Look at tried and true recipes for better sugar wash recipes.
this is the internet
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Yeast convert sugar to CO2 and alcohol but they derive virtually no life sustaining nutritional value during the process... Therefore the yeast requires nutrients in order to properly multiply into a large and healthy enough colony to take on the task of fermentation as well as to maintain their health... If they receive no nutrients the colony will turn to autolysis (cannibalism) in an effort to insure survival of the fittest... Unfortunately, within a short amount of time there won't be enough live yeast cells left to complete the fermentation process...

As for drinking the fermented wash, you can... However, you should make sure the wash has fully completed fermentation and that the wash has cleared and been racked before consumption... Ending up with too much live yeast in your digestive tract is not the most pleasant experience and should be avoided...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Why would you want to drink a sugar wash? If its going to be consumed without distilling use a grape juice or concentrate and make a wine. If your looking for something cheap to drink that don't taste good just buy some Nightrain or Boons Farm.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Prairiepiss wrote:If your looking for something cheap to drink that don't taste good just buy some Nightrain or Boons Farm.
Mad Dog 20/20, Thunderbird, or Wild Irish Rose... :lolno: Beware of the hangovers... :wtf:
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Sugar wash is safe to drink. It would be just like any homemade wine. Cheaper than the store bought mentioned so far.

Want to change the flavor then mix it up with some juice or soda or whatever at serving time.

Only you can decide if it's to your liking and you only have to do it once to find out.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Hey P.P., don't be badmouthin' Boone's Farm now. It got me through college.
Braz
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Braz wrote:Hey P.P., don't be badmouthin' Boone's Farm now. It got me through college.
I'm sory! :moresarcasm:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Denis Zen
Novice

Post by Denis Zen »

Boones farm is responsible for getting to second base more than any other liquor.
Personally I preferred mine with cashews... Tasted like a hopped up p.b and J samich.
Long live strawberry hill.