none of my worts/wash/mash hasnt been successfull lately!!!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

adanac58
Bootlegger

none of my worts/wash/mash hasnt been successfull lately!!!

Post by adanac58 »

lately, ALL my washes that i make get stuck fermentation and dont even go down a point in specific gravity ... the last wash i did its been a month and ive added 4 packs of champaigne yeast and probly like 10 tablespoons of nutrient at different times and it just only ferments a little bit then seems to die off... yet there is still krausen... the airlock will bubble if i shake it up ... there IS signs of fermentation but it is not producing any alcohol! ive tried different yeast so i know thats not the solution . could it possibly be my water? i get it delivered ( were not connected to running city water ) so im assuming it is treated in some sort. any other suggestions guys? the reason why they were all succesfull ferments before because either i bought water from a jug ( distilled or spring ) or when i fermented wine for distilling it always was sucesffull but ANY wash i do just WONT ferment! i really dont want to spend a dollar a gallon for spring water ( or more )
brewhaus standard 5 gallon stainless steel pot still.
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Re: none of my worts/wash/mash hasnt been successfull lately

Post by dakotasnake »

i to have had problems with ferments lately, they are xtremely slow-- a few wks instead of a few daze. i found it was wide varients in temperture during the fall months in the north country. could be your problem, one brite spot the slow ferment has yeilded some of the best likker so far. if all things are equil to your previos washes it could be the problem, if not than maybe it is a water problem.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

what recipe are you using ?

whats your SG and FG readings using your hydro of the wash your making ?
what temp are you fermenting at ? constant temps or swinging with the change of the day ?

have you tried boiling the water and cooling it before fermenting ?
chlorine is something that might be in the water... boiling it can help get it out even letting it "sit" in the fermenter will get most of it out.

you need to provide more info for anyone to help...
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

adnac...

More info please. Like maheel posted, what's your starting and ending SG's? A hydrometer is a valuable diagnostic tool and if you don't have one, get one.

What's your recipe, what do you use to store your mash? What temperature?

Fermentation is a natural process, it's almost impossible to stop.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

id say the temp is about a constant 20 C , i didnt record the S.G. but the potential alcohol read at 17% before fermenting and the last time i checked it was stuck at 15% for about the last 2 weeks ... iuse the % scale instead of SG ...me finds it easier . i just used sugar wash and its in a carboy
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

I don't have my hydro close by, but can you give me 17% starting reading in SG?
Also the 15% in SG?

I've not used the sugar wash recipe, but are you adding nutrients? Is your mash just sugar and water?

Bull.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

17% is high to start with for a sugar wash. What you used as a recipe would be helpful. What you have added along the way? I used just a sugar wash doesn't explain much. Makes it kinda hard to help you with so little info.

Have you looked into the great tried and true recipes here on HD? They are there because they work good and are easy. If done as posted they have a consistent outcome. To avoid problems like this.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

Yah I would agree that 17% is too high to start with even using the Champagine yeast.

I would dilute it by adding water down to between 10 ans 12 % potential alcohol and aslo be sure to add some yeast nutients like DAP if you have it or tomato paste. Check out the tried and true recipes. Also don't get too greedy in wanting toget a high alcohol wash. Make two lowere ones that will ferment out quicker, do stripping runs on the two and then your spirit run on your out-put from the two. You will have much better product and in a shorter period than your current fements are taking.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

also check out your nutrients,not all are complete and to do a higher SG/alcohol wash its needed.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

sugar, water, tomato paste, yeast can't be much simpler

I have really horrible water from a walled in spring, lots of alkali in this area
in the near surface water, still turns in to very nice hooch

Coyote
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Coyote wrote:sugar, water, tomato paste, yeast can't be much simpler

Coyote
In the right portions. Yes! To much of any of them. No!
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

my recipie is just sugar and distillers nutrients ( DAP , Yeast hulls and fermaid K ) i think you might be right i should lower the sugar down to 12% ... i was trying to push the yeast tothe max because mykettle is small but i guess a jar or 2 per run is better than none ! whats the highest you guys have pushed champagne yeast to? ive heard of 18% Before ... 17% is about 1.130 SG 15% Is about 1.110 SG
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You will find that greed is not the way to go. Pushing yeast makes them unhappy. And if your yeast are unhappy you will be unhappy with what they make you. 14% is about the absolute highest you will find recommendations for around here.

Dilute what you have and se if you can get it to ferment maybe? But go to the tried and true recipe section and find one of them to do next. Birdwatchers, All bran, gerber, one of those would work for you.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

No matter what yeast you use, 14% potential ABV is as far as you should go to avoid problems, even if the yeast is claimed to be able to go higher... And if you are shooting for really clean neutrals without additional fussing many would recommend 10% - 12%, maximum... A smaller amount of easily created crisp clean spirits is much better than only marginally more volume of dirtier spirits that may or my not be able to be cleaned up with additional effort... Predominantly, this is not a hobby where greed pays off in the long run... Think quality versus quantity... :thumbup:
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

adanac58 wrote: i think you might be right i should lower the sugar down to 12% ...

i think you already new the problem.....
adanac58 wrote: i was trying to push the yeast tothe max because mykettle is small but i guess a jar or 2 per run is better than none !
you should re-think your approach IMO your product is not going to be it's best fighting an upfront battle with the wrong recipes or conditions
even 20' is a bit cool and will slow your ferment

consider getting a bigger boiler like a keg
in reality the upfront expense of some better equipment is paid back in about 2 full runs on a keg
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ok I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but!

This is the second ferment you have had problems with. And have posted a what's wrong? thread for them. Do you think maybe you should do some more research on the subject? We have some real easy recipes That Work here on HD. Use one of them to learn with. Take better notes along the way. Like ingredients and the amounts, temps, and starting SG and finished SG. And yes learn to read the SG side of the scale. Then if you do have a problem with it. Not likely if you use a proven tried and true recipe. You can give that info up in the first post. So it doesn't have to be drug out of you 3 or 4 posts later.

Like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk. But if you had done the proper research. You would have distilled a couple of ferments in the time you have wasted with just throwing stuff together. This is not a hobby that you can just read a little and do it. Or you will be on here posting more I need help threads then I got it right threads.

Call me a jerk or what ever you want. But please do some more research. Read read and read some more.

Most of all be safe.

I will shut up now. :silent:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

+1 what Prairepiss said. Sometimes ya just gotta lay it out there.

Bull.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

addishion to what i said much of nutrients are made to supplement wine or beer,not stand alone.
so dont depend on them by them selves.grain has most of what is needed and little addition is needed.
fruit on the hand can lack quit a bit so more is needed.this is especially true when "pushing" the abv.
adanac58
Bootlegger

Post by adanac58 »

Prairiepiss wrote:Ok I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but!

This is the second ferment you have had problems with. And have posted a what's wrong? thread for them. Do you think maybe you should do some more research on the subject? We have some real easy recipes That Work here on HD. Use one of them to learn with. Take better notes along the way. Like ingredients and the amounts, temps, and starting SG and finished SG. And yes learn to read the SG side of the scale. Then if you do have a problem with it. Not likely if you use a proven tried and true recipe. You can give that info up in the first post. So it doesn't have to be drug out of you 3 or 4 posts later.

Like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk. But if you had done the proper research. You would have distilled a couple of ferments in the time you have wasted with just throwing stuff together. This is not a hobby that you can just read a little and do it. Or you will be on here posting more I need help threads then I got it right threads.

Call me a jerk or what ever you want. But please do some more research. Read read and read some more.

I appreciate the criticism .. Really . I started a new wash at 12% potential alcohol and spring water .. It has a good Krausen and seems to be getting dryer by the day thanks guys . I do beileve I need to get a reverse osmosis filter for my tap

Most of all be safe.

I will shut up now. :silent:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

:thumbup:

What makes you think you need an RO unit?
Here something to think about RO filters. It takes 4 to 5 gallons to filter 1 gallon of good drinking water. Water pressure dictates the efficacy. Higher pressure less water wasted. Lower pressure more water wasted. They do sell booster pumps to aid in that. But kinda pricey last I checked. If your on a well you almost have to have a booster pump. And your well pump would be working overtime to keep up with the filter. Most you can buy at the big box stores are rated at 30 or 40 gallons a day. I've even seen a 10 gal a day. The one I have is rated at 100 gal a day. I do 12 gal ferments. If I were to use RO water from mine I would use 48 gallons and would take me approx 3 hours to get my 12 gallons. A 40 gal a day would take you approx 7 hours to get 12 gallons.

I would recommend one of the canister type filters. One that has the 3 canisters on it. Usually the fist one is a sediment filter second and third are carbon filters just different Micron ratings. For fermenting you shouldn't need more then that. If you do there are other problems that need to be addressed.

And if you think you will just go down to the store and fill a bottle. At one of those fill stations. Ask someone who works there when the last time the filters were changed. And the RO membrane was flushed out. I've asked the managers at 4 stores around me. Three told me they didn't know they should be and One told me they never needed to be changed or cleaned. :wtf: when I change mine every 4 months or so they are so nasty. I can tell when to change and flush by the ice cubes. They are nice and clear with new filters and get cloudy so you can't see through them when the filters need changed. I can't imagine what the filters in the stores look like. :sick:

But RO is great for drinking and ice cubes. :thumbup: Oh yeah and expensive reef tanks. :roll:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss