Can mash go bad...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Titliest07
Novice

Can mash go bad...

Post by Titliest07 »

My question is can Mash go bad....I've got some that I made up ....just curious if it will go bad....Thanks...
rad14701
retired

Re: Can mash go bad...

Post by rad14701 »

Sure, they can, but will they is the question... We'd need a bit more information in order to give a better answer... Like the recipe you used to make your wash... Whether you have the wash covered, using an airlock, or open to the atmosphere...??? Whether you boiled all of the ingredients or simply tossed everything into a fermenter and added yeast...??? And the list of questions goes on... The more we know the better we can be of help in answering your question...

Please stop by the Welcome Center and give us a proper introduction, including any previous experience, what types of spirits you want to make and what equipment you currently have, or hope to have...
Titliest07
Novice

Post by Titliest07 »

I made up some sweet feed mash....didn't cook anything just put it in a food grade bucket....and covered it...used a airlock.....sweet feed and sugar and some distillers yeast....its been about a month since i made it....It never really fermented I think maybe i cooked my yeast....can i add the yeast to since it's been that long....Thanks....
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

If it never fermented because of a yeast problem, it's pretty likely thatover a month, bacteria took care of that sugar for you.
[a moment of silence folks] :wink:

What's it smell like?
How did your yeast get cooked?

NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Titliest07
Novice

Post by Titliest07 »

It smells okay.....I believe the temperature was to hot....can I add yeast or just throw it away and start over....
tomgndallas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tomgndallas »

i would ditch it read up a little more in the tried and true section and mix up another batch.

my two cents at least
Horse_Shoe
Swill Maker

Post by Horse_Shoe »

chalk that one up to experience and toss it. I did sweetfeed in the good ole hot Texas sun this summer and didn't have any issues. It really turned out good, but messy to strain. The smell during fermentation was intoxicating, no pun intended. Although temps in the garage got well over 95F, no ill effects occurred. Bought the sweet feed at Sams Wholesale Club. The tag said that the pellets were "textured" barley. I'd say they were closer to pressed and formed pieces of barley flour, or silage. Either way, it turned out good. I like whole grains a lot more and am starting to enjoy successes with them. Its clear that my products are improving. My stock is rapidly diminishing to my friends and family.
Titliest07
Novice

Post by Titliest07 »

Yeah....I think Ill start over.....Thanks for all the advice....
TexasReflux
Swill Maker

Post by TexasReflux »

My experience with UJSSM has been that it can sit for a month plus in a sealed vapor-locked environment and not suffer anything from it.

I have done that for both my 3rd and 4th generations (35 gallons both) and dont worry a bit about it.

That said, everything is clean and sterile going in.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Titliest07 wrote:Yeah....I think Ill start over.....Thanks for all the advice....
I don't know if I would ditch it? Have you taken an SG reading? Is it sweet? Did it ever start fermenting? I would hate to see you waste perfectly good sugar. What would be wrong with pitching some more yeast. You said you thought you killed the first pitch by pitching it when it was to hot. The temp of your wash that is. Not the ambient temp. If that's the case pitching new should start her up. What's it going to hurt? A pack of yeast is cheaper then the sugar you would waste. Give it a go. You mite have a winner there. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.