Deer Molasses

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

islandrunner
Novice

Deer Molasses

Post by islandrunner »

Over one year ago I got a gallon of deer food from farm and fleet store, It was pure molasses, add 2 gallons water , sugar and yeast, worked hard, Let it age now for 1 year, cooked it, a wast of time, low proof at 110 to start, when I got about 3/4 a quart I stopped. tast strong and tast like molasses, Added it to my garden.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Deer Molasses

Post by Fastill »

So you fermented it for a year before running???
I used wildlife habitats mollassas for most of my rum, It always tasted pretty strong and chemical like for the first 3 months of aging (after distilation) but really takes on amazing floral smells and flavors after that. Never pitch a harsh run, see how time affects it first. You will be surprised. Oak and age are your friends.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
zouthernborne
Swill Maker

Post by zouthernborne »

I've let my washes sit on the lees for a couple months at a time, simply because with all the beers, wines and meads on top of my likkers, I forget from time to time. I had nice results with them too, not absolutely sure that the extended wait before distilling was the reason though. I would suggest not letting it sit so long next time. I also wouldn't throw it out. Run it again.
I have a very assertive way. It's wake up, move your ass, or piss off home.
-Gordon Ramsay
12 Quart SS Stockpot, simple potstiller. Mostly running whiskey and rums.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Sounds like he did his run and it is now 1 year in and he is not pleased with what he ended up with.

I agree with the sentiment expressed thus far. You shouldn't have thrown it out. My first attempt at molasses was the same. I found that if I took that and cut it 50/50 with a neutral then diluted down to 40% it made a rum that folks really enjoyed. To me, it always retained some of the original taste that I didn't particularly care for but for those folks that liked it they couldn't get enough.