Swill Maker

Galvanized Steel for my boiler

Post by Devonhomebrew »

Can i use a galvanized steel pot for my boiler
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Galvanized Steel for my boiler

Post by Prairiepiss »

No! Stainless or copper. :wtf: A lot if research needs to be done on your part.

Stop by the welcome center and give us a proper introduction.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

Just out of interest why. Couldnt seem to find any info on galvanized on the web at all. :D
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Try a search using Galvanized .Whats been said here on the subject should be found with that .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Devonhomebrew wrote:Just out of interest why. Couldnt seem to find any info on galvanized on the web at all. :D
You're well on your way to the Darwin award. (Not a good way to get started on the forum -- or in this hobby for that matter) :thumbdown:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Post by Devonhomebrew »

:oops:
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

WalkingWolf wrote:
Devonhomebrew wrote:Just out of interest why. Couldnt seem to find any info on galvanized on the web at all. :D
You're well on your way to the Darwin award. (Not a good way to get started on the forum -- or in this hobby for that matter) :thumbdown:

+1
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
schmand
Novice

Post by schmand »

Galvanized Steel for a boiler is safe according to the principles of distillation. It just won't last as long as a copper or ss boiler. Try getting one of these and save yourself the useless effort of using a steel boiler.
Non-Native English Speaker. I'd appreciate if you would tell me my mistakes! Thank you and have a nice day!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

schmand wrote:Galvanized Steel for a boiler is safe according to the principles of distillation. It just won't last as long as a copper or ss boiler. Try getting one of these and save yourself the useless effort of using a steel boiler.
Really? Do you have any other proof then what the principles of distilling told you?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
schmand
Novice

Post by schmand »

Prairiepiss wrote:
schmand wrote:Galvanized Steel for a boiler is safe according to the principles of distillation. It just won't last as long as a copper or ss boiler. Try getting one of these and save yourself the useless effort of using a steel boiler.
Really? Do you have any other proof then what the principles of distilling told you?
Huh? Any salt that is formed by the reaction of metal and non-metal during the distillation in the boiler will stay there, because salts are held together by an ionic bond. Ionic compounds have a really really high melting point, thus they will not carry over into the steam. You could put 10kg of say NaCl into the boiler before distilling and your spirit wouldn't contain 1g of salt. (But beware: This applies only to a galvanized steel boiler. Metal in the downward slope of the still should always be copper or SS, preferably SS)

I have no other proof and I don't need more proof.
Non-Native English Speaker. I'd appreciate if you would tell me my mistakes! Thank you and have a nice day!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Maybe you don't need more proof. But around here it is customary to provide proof that a material (that is thought to be unsafe) is safe to be used. This forum is geared towards safety for a lot of new distillers and old ones at that. So if proof is not provided it should still be considered unsafe.

People need to think of the safety of others around them. That they may harm. Not just themselves.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
schmand
Novice

Post by schmand »

Prairiepiss wrote:Maybe you don't need more proof. But around here it is customary to provide proof that a material (that is thought to be unsafe) is safe to be used. This forum is geared towards safety for a lot of new distillers and old ones at that. So if proof is not provided it should still be considered unsafe.

People need to think of the safety of others around them. That they may harm. Not just themselves.
I understand. And I do not want people to do stupid things. (What I want though is that knowledge is published throughout the forum, and not everything marked as unsafe.) But if they want to use a steel boiler, it is okay. A SS or Copper Boiler would be much much better, but a steel boiler at least does not affect the distillate for the same reason, why ppl. can put fertilizers for their yeast into the mash and the fertilizers are not contained in the distillate. I use a SS boiler though ;)

Have a nice day

schmand
Ian Jay
Swill Maker

Post by Ian Jay »

What are the parameters that universally define 'proof' on this forum?
Putting it another way, for example, does God exist because there is no evidence to prove otherwise, or does God not exist because there is no evidence to support his existence?

Think :crazy: on ....
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It's pretty simple. An MSDS or other supporting documentation. That is backed by scientific facts. Not the old writings of someone who is trying to make a buck off selling you a book. They use to think lead was not harmful. But we now know it is some bad stuff.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
retlaw
Swill Maker

Post by retlaw »

If you hold galvanized nails in your mouth like when you are building something as carpentors do you will get sick.
It s zinc,
Taking too much zinc into the body through food, water, or dietary supplements can also affect health. The levels of zinc that produce adverse health effects are much higher than the Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) for zinc of 15 mg/day for men and 12 mg/day for women. If large doses of zinc (10-15 times higher than the RDA) are taken by mouth even for a short time, stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting may occur. Ingesting high levels of zinc for several months may cause anemia, damage the pancreas, and decrease levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) chlolesterol.
Large Sarge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Large Sarge »

No scientific proof here so take it with a grain of.......salt... Come on, that was funny....

Seriously, if I run the piss out of my pot, I start to notice color coming over from a heavy rum wash. Can't help but think anything in that boiler can be pulled over. I would rather error on the safety side.

$.02
If you look like food, don't be surprised when you get eaten.
Ian Jay
Swill Maker

Post by Ian Jay »

Prairiepiss wrote:It's pretty simple. An MSDS or other supporting documentation. That is backed by scientific facts. Not the old writings of someone who is trying to make a buck off selling you a book. They use to think lead was not harmful. But we now know it is some bad stuff.
Science and facts are strange bed-fellows. Science relies on the hypothesis that is either rejected or not (of course, you cannot 'prove' the null hypothesis). Science is the search for truth, not the definitive yardstick for truth. MSDS is only today's interpretation of research, no doubt the future will reveal information that will render today's knowledge as inaccurate. That is is not to say that it should be ignored, but as a wise man reflects on and questions science, a fool blindly follows it. This is how we progress, for without disputation there is no future.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Large Sarge wrote:No scientific proof here so take it with a grain of.......salt... Come on, that was funny....

Seriously, if I run the piss out of my pot, I start to notice color coming over from a heavy rum wash. Can't help but think anything in that boiler can be pulled over. I would rather error on the safety side.

$.02
If nothing would come over. We wouldn't have to make cuts. We wouldn't have any flavor. Truthfuly we wouldn't get anything out of our stills.

All I know is I am not going to use anything that is questionable poison in my still. And I would suggest the same for everyone else.

But for those of you that want to. Have fun. The Darwin award awaits you.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Maybe I should drag out my old still that uses galvanized pipe, lead pipe, and is insulated with asbestos... Come on, folks, get with the program and think safety... Think of the entire distillation process like the FAA thinks about airplanes...

And as for fertilizer, they are not all created the same or universally acceptable... It's not a matter of whether the bad part stay behind in the still, it's a matter of how dangerous the components are... The amount of fertilizer I use in an entire wash could be ingested with the only major side effect being a good case of the shits... And that comes from the manufacturers federally mandated MSDS...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Fuck me drunk!!!! You still get them I see. I suppose one can use whatever one wishes to use for a boiler, but whether it's a good idea is something else. Why do you folk come in here and ask these questions and then dispute the answers provided?

And some even bring god into the act. Now that makes sense.

And all such experienced distillers as well. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

zinc is not the only problem with galvanized,zinc is rather hard and brittle.so to prevent cracking when bent/formed its often alloyed with lead.this is often the case with roofing/wire other formed products.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

blanikdog wrote:Fuck me drunk!!!! You still get them I see. I suppose one can use whatever one wishes to use for a boiler, but whether it's a good idea is something else. Why do you folk come in here and ask these questions and then dispute the answers provided?

And some even bring god into the act. Now that makes sense.

And all such experienced distillers as well. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Well said :clap: :clap: .

Bad stuff, that galvanising. It has one purpose, that of protecting metal, at which it performs well, but any interaction with humans is bad.
If you have ever had to weld or grind it, or seen a hot dip galvanising operation, you will know what I mean.

We can only hope those silly enough to consider it safe, never get smart enough to make a drop of gear.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

I've been following this thread. To me the thing that stands out even above safety is perception. If we ever want to get this hobby legalized then we need to think perception. If we can be safe then why not be safe. It's not about right or wrong. One could use what ever they have on hand. But why not be safe about everything if you can?
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Please tell us the facts about zinc, don't just shout down any enquiry. I did a search for it, but didn't find anything the repetition, mostly entirely unqualified, that zinc is bad.
I am quite happy to believe that zinc kills you to death and makes your dick shrink besides, but I can't really do that without evidence.
-Dan
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

i think the issue here dan is wouldn't you rather find out something IS safe BEFORE you use it instead of using it until you find out that it isn't?

I know i would.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

banter_king wrote:i think the issue here dan is wouldn't you rather find out something IS safe BEFORE you use it instead of using it until you find out that it isn't?

I know i would.
That is exactly the issue I addressed in my last post.
There is a well-founded fear of zinc in metal-working circles because the fumes given off by burning zinc (which is what happens when galvanized steel is welded or heated to around 1000c) can cause illness. I suspect that this fear has crossed over into the distilling community in a way that does not reflect the facts.

So, to avoid giving the impression of a bunch of gobbling turkeys, why not allow a serious enquiry into the nature of zinc/galvanization in relation to distillation?
-Dan
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

i have no problem with a discussion like that. if i had the means i would test and find out myself to report to the forum. but until it is fully hashed out and proven safe then i will stick with what we know is. thats all i was getting at.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ask any plumber why they don't use zinc pipe in houses these days... Do some independent research rather than asking someone to point the way all the time...
  • Always treat a gun as though it is loaded...
  • Always wash fruit and produce before eating...
  • Look both ways before crossing a street...
  • Put down the toilet seat and wash your hands when you're done in the bathroom...
  • Don't come into contact with electricity while standing, sitting, or lying in water...
Have all of us fully investigated each and every one of those idioms or have we simply followed along because we felt it was in our best interest...??? If we don't have guidelines to protect people from their own stupidity or naivety then why should we say anything at all... This site is here to help people enjoy this hobby safely, not haphazardly...

I'd rather be safe than sorry... :idea:

Go find the facts that zinc is safe with high temperature high proof alcohol vapor and liquid and post it... Do something other than complain about The Rules We Live By... Going elsewhere is yet another option... :think:
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Well then, why mess around? After reading all the huff and puff about brass fittings containing lead (along with the total nonsensical idea that pickling it will make the lead go away), how did anybody allow themselves to forget that brass contains.... ZINC! I expect to see you at the head of that particular crusade, Rad! :thumbup:
rad14701 wrote:Ask any plumber why they don't use zinc pipe in houses these days...
The plumber said; "err... because it's impossible to solder, because you can't cut it without negating the effect of the galvanizing, because it's heavy, thick, and a has no viable use when copper pipe is readily available".
-Dan