first run smells like puke?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

tobaccoman123
Novice

first run smells like puke?

Post by tobaccoman123 »

Hello, I'm worried about my first run. It smells like puke. I've distilled it 1.5 times so far. I will distill if 3 times. will this smell go away? The moonshine that I've tasted at the liquor store didn't smell like puke. I hope I didn't do something wrong. Any help is appreciated.
Tater
Admin

Re: first run smells like puke?

Post by Tater »

Not giving much info to help ya out with .why don't ya go over your process?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

Not sure what you did, but how do you distill 1.5 times? It is either all or nothing. For us to give you some advice we need to know what it was you were starting with for a wash. Was it a sugar wash, UJSM, all grain, partial grain, molasses or a bran flake wash?

Also what kind of rig are you running? Pot still, reflux, homemade, purchased? Did you clean it before you ran it?

Lots of variablles here for us to know.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

tobaccoman123 wrote:Hello, I'm worried about my first run. It smells like puke. I've distilled it 1.5 times so far. I will distill if 3 times. will this smell go away? The moonshine that I've tasted at the liquor store didn't smell like puke. I hope I didn't do something wrong. Any help is appreciated.
I doubt you tasted "moonshine" at the liquor store.
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cornbred
Novice

Post by cornbred »

If you mean your first run as in "stripping run", I think that is normal. My stripping run ( 35-40% abv) does not smell good. I think that its like stinky water. My spirit run or "final run" smells completely different. I think you will be fine once you distill again.
cornbred
Novice

Post by cornbred »

Bayou-Ruler wrote:
tobaccoman123 wrote:Hello, I'm worried about my first run. It smells like puke. I've distilled it 1.5 times so far. I will distill if 3 times. will this smell go away? The moonshine that I've tasted at the liquor store didn't smell like puke. I hope I didn't do something wrong. Any help is appreciated.
I doubt you tasted "moonshine" at the liquor store.
+1 No moonshine flavors at likker store.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

By puke, do you mean like real puke of do you mean it just smells bad? If it smells like real puke, then it could be an infected wash that you ran.
I do all my own stunts
clodev
Novice

Post by clodev »

why does infected wash sound really bad. You are referring to mold on the wash, help out a newbie as i'm still a ignorant:) What would make it infected?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

clodev wrote:why does infected wash sound really bad. You are referring to mold on the wash, help out a newbie as i'm still a ignorant:) What would make it infected?
There are many types of infections. Basically anything that comes in and messes up the fermentation process.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ tobaccoman123,

Unfortunately you haven’t provided ANY information on the mash/wash you are attempting to distill.

Suggest visiting the Tried and True Recipes for known proven recipes that won’t produce a sprit product that smells like ‘Puke’.

Also suggest reviewing the “Cleaning a new still” thread located in the MUST READ New distiller reading Lounge Forum. Also when visiting the New distiller reading Lounge Forum suggest reviewing the other informative postings in that Forum.

Regards,
Coaster