Brita filter

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brita filter

Post by Odin »

Just bought a brita filter. Read about them. They are supposed to rid tap water of some 70 to 80% of calcium, chlorine, heavy metals, medicine, you name it. First, I thought: "a lot of bogus", but I decided to give it a try. Fed up with making distilled water to dilute my likker with. Now I have to say: the water out of a brita filter tastes great! Really much better than normal tap water. Got to try it to believe it. Did some research on the net. Found some results stating that the brita treatment even lowers PH from 7.5 / 8.0 to around 6.5. Anyhow, since I can make me like a quart and a half in under 5 minutes, I skipped using distilled water. Hey, even the coffee I drink (or the tea my wife drinks) is now made with filtered water. I like this!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Brita filter

Post by Prairiepiss »

I find tea and coffers made with filtered water to be very light. I didn't like how it turned out. So I stopped using it. But all our drinking water is filtered. Along with our ice. Being able to see through the ice cubes is really nice.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a filtering system at the house since I am on a well and even though the water has always tested great it is a bit harder before it hits the house and the filtering system. Before I new any better and was researching over a year ago I read where it improves vodka, don't believe it plus your running it in a plastic container... I added that last part for any new members benefit that might get the same idea I had a while back! :D
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I added that last part for any new members benefit that might get the same idea I had a while back!
To reinforce your point -

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4358&hilit
I do all my own stunts
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

BD,

I just use it on my water! ;)

Know some people tried them as a sort of short cut to charcoal filtering of neutrals, but that did not quite work out as hoped for.

Now I never (have to) filter my neutrals, so no need to go down that path!

Happy New Year

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.