Help I need a 3" tri-clamp cap w/ female pipe thread

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

leboski
Novice

Help I need a 3" tri-clamp cap w/ female pipe thread

Post by leboski »

I'm doing away with the bung on my column and am adding a 3" ferrule so I can tri-clamp a cap and secure a thermometer probe.
I would really love to come across a 3" tri-clamp cap w/ female pipe thread
I have been searching for quit a while now and have had no luck they seem to only come in 2" or less.
I also understand there are other solutions but I'm looking for the simplest cheaper option. photos are of 2" type
This is what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated
Ad-2TCx12FNPT.jpg
Ad-2TCx12FNPT.jpg (3.33 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
here's what I want for my 3"column
Attachments
Small_IMG_2081.jpg
I don't know but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold Other hand I heard it said it's just as hard with the weight of lead
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help I need a 3" tri-clamp cap w/ female pipe thread

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

That photo looks awful familiar...... 8)

If you cant locate a 3.0" Tri-Clover x Female Pipe Thread: 3.0" x 1/4" FMPT fitting you could always add the 3" ferrule and then use a Tri-Clover Cap Reducer to reduce from 3" to 2" to allow you to use the avalible 2" fitting. It would look good and work like a charm!

The above can be found here: http://thevintnervault.com/product/1942 ... ucers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
leboski
Novice

Post by leboski »

That is probably what I'll have to do but, I'm gonna hold out for the time being to see if I can come up with a cheaper option.
Here's an idea, I was thinking about trying to drill a 3" tri-clamp cap to fit my probe. Does that sound like a simple solution or is a SS cap really hard to drill? I have never worked with SS before.

that photo was perfect btw thanks for sharing.
Attachments
med-img-mg_8486.jpg
med-img-mg_8486.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
I don't know but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold Other hand I heard it said it's just as hard with the weight of lead
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

leboski wrote:That is probably what I'll have to do but, I'm gonna hold out for the time being to see if I can come up with a cheaper option.
Here's an idea, I was thinking about trying to drill a 3" tri-clamp cap to fit my probe. Does that sound like a simple solution or is a SS cap really hard to drill? I have never worked with SS before.

that photo was perfect btw thanks for sharing.

Stainless Steel is hard to work with without the proper equipment. If you use carbon Steel on it it will rust. The whole trick to the probe being vapor tight is the fact that the king nipple bends ever so slightly against the probe.

That site is expensive. You may look around on eBAY and find it cheaper. I found 1/4" King Nipples on ebay for $1.00 each and bought several. That was after paying $9.95 for the exact same thing from the Vintners Vault!
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ leboski,

Purchase a 3" Tri-Clamp cap. Take your thermometer probe and the 3" Tri-Clamp cap to a local machine shop and have them drill the correct size hole in the Tri-Clamp cap that fits your thermometer probe. If the hole needs to be threaded for thermometer probe to screw into the cap the machine shop will also be able thread the hole with the correct threads. That’s the type of work that machine shops do.

Regards,
Coaster
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

drill and tap it
or
drill it and have a coupling or half coupling welded on it.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
leboski
Novice

Post by leboski »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will look on ebay before I make a final choice. Hopefully Rick from Brewhaus will contact me on tuesday when he returns so I can complete my custom order, then I should have things together fairly soon after that. results are forthcoming...
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

leboski wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will look on ebay before I make a final choice. Hopefully Rick from Brewhaus will contact me on tuesday when he returns so I can complete my custom order, then I should have things together fairly soon after that. results are forthcoming...

Rick may be able to do the work for you. He also may be able to get the parts cheaper.
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
leboski
Novice

Post by leboski »

The customer service that Brewhaus has given the last few days has been excellent even though it was Christmas and new years, and they are moving to another warehouse. I received prompt replies to my emails and a call from someone to let me know how to place the order when Rick returned on Tuesday. :thumbup: Just waiting on ups :yawn:

I had them weld a ferrule to my column, it was no problem and Rick only charged me for the part not the work :clap:
If their products are as good as the service( i have heard that they are)I'm in for a treat!
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

leboski wrote:The customer service that Brewhaus has given the last few days has been excellent even though it was Christmas and new years, and they are moving to another warehouse. I received prompt replies to my emails and a call from someone to let me know how to place the order when Rick returned on Tuesday. :thumbup: Just waiting on ups :yawn:

I had them weld a ferrule to my column, it was no problem and Rick only charged me for the part not the work :clap:
If their products are as good as the service( i have heard that they are)I'm in for a treat!

The products are & you will be very pleased.
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
leboski
Novice

Post by leboski »

I received my 3" tri-clover cap today but I am still waiting on Brewhaus, my order started to go through but something has happened so I'm waiting for them to contact me so I can figure out what is going on :yawn:

**UPDATE** brewhaus called, looks like my order will ship by the end of the week...apparently they are still moving and have fallen behind on filling orders.

I guess while I'm waiting I can get my cap drilled :thumbup:
ThrownOlive
Swill Maker

Post by ThrownOlive »

check out glaciertanks.com They've got great deals on TC fittings and chances are they can work out what you need.