whiskeystill.net

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Krewl Intent
Novice

whiskeystill.net

Post by Krewl Intent »

Hi.

I am new to this whole hobby, and am looking to get rolling. I would like something basic, but that works.

I was looking at picking something up from whiskeystill.net, but have no idea if they are reputable, their quality, etc.

The devices look quite nice, and the price is right, but I really don't want to start out by getting ripped off.

Anyone have any information on them, good or poor?

Thanks!

-KI
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: whiskeystill.net

Post by maheel »

do some searches using the term "Alembic" and have a read of the threads you get

they are pretty and traditional... but i would suggest doing some research and have a think about what you actually want to make.
do some research on the recipies on what you want to make

then decide on the best option for your "wanted product"

i hate saying "do some reading" but i am saying it right here :crazy: or you need to give us more info on what you want to make product wise

i always say "get a keg" and a boka or a VM 1st :), make some neutral then move into flavoured "traditional" mashes once you have it figured out.
but thats just my 2c worth..
Krewl Intent
Novice

Post by Krewl Intent »

Thanks for the quick reply maheel!

I am looking for something a bit traditional, and not really interested in high test neutrals. My taste buds prefer things of a more mellow and flavorful variety. I am looking at mostly rums, whiskeys and schnapps drinks. (That and I am a sucker for the apple pie)

I did do a search online as well as in here for "Alembic" but information seems kind of slim on this particular head design. (searching here now only brings up your reply :mrgreen: ) The rest of the info I came across seemed to all have a marketing spin on it, so I am a little leery of that information. (yes, I originally looked at the "Turbo Stomper" and would like to take a moment to say thanks for everyone here supplying information that made me abandon that poor path)

I also am quite poor with the construction option, so building one is kind of out of the question. A computer I can make to work magic, a torch typically ends in a trip to the ER. :crazy:

As for recipes, I have not hammered one down one yet, mostly because I believe a lot of the joy is in the journey, not just the destination. Once I decide on a still, I can hunt down, tweak, or create recipes that will be supported by the design.

Is it that much steeper of a learning curve using a more traditional pot still over one of the designs you recommended?

Thanks again for the info!

-KI
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Krewl Intent wrote:I did do a search online as well as in here for "Alembic" but information seems kind of slim on this particular head design. (searching here now only brings up your reply :mrgreen: )-KI
Try using the "HD Google Search" function (link above). "Alembic" will return over a thousand hits.
Braz
Krewl Intent
Novice

Post by Krewl Intent »

aaaaah! :esurprised:

Thanks for the cranial rectal inversion.

-KI

*runs off in search of new information*