torque rating for mash stirrer?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

conkers
Novice

torque rating for mash stirrer?

Post by conkers »

Hey everyone,
I'm planning to build an automated mash stirrer to keep my corn mash from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot.
I know some use an icecream mixer motor but am doubtful it will stir 15-18 kgs of wet grain.
I've been looking around at geared AC motors and have been talking to a company that sell them. They are trying to recommend a motor to me but need to know the power and torque I need. The power rating I think should be somewhere around 1/4-1/2hp that'll should be plenty I reckon, but the torque rating I'm not so sure about.
Has anyone got any suggestions about how much torque I'd need to turn a 500mm paddle at 30rpm?
cheers
conk
Tater
Admin

Re: torque rating for mash stirrer?

Post by Tater »

Id look for a gear reduction motor that's used on small cement mixers .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
conkers
Novice

Post by conkers »

yeah i've looked at cement mixer motors, but as the stirrer is gonna sit directly on my BOP lid I may not have enough space for a large pulley on there too.
To get down to 30rpm or so would need a big pulley i'd think, considering those motors turn at 1500-200rpm?
I'm thinking the geared motors like these could be ideal? : http://www.anaheimautomation.com/produc ... oducts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Basically, I'm just looking for some ft/lb & hp numbers that would stir a thick grain slurry & be able to be stoppeg & started mid mash if needed.
anyone?
conkers
Novice

Post by conkers »

Hang on, the cement mixing bowl turns around the right speed, with a motor designed for that job and its turning a barrow full of cement so could cope with a thick mash easily. Have to rethink the mounting ideas. thanks tater! :thumbup:

I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes...
JonB
Novice

Post by JonB »

Have you considered using steam to cook your grains instead? I am a convert from using a stirrer.
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

JonB wrote:Have you considered using steam to cook your grains instead? I am a convert from using a stirrer.
What sort of system do you use?
conkers
Novice

Post by conkers »

Well I've been researching a bit and have decided to go the steam injection route as its so easy to build considering I already have a 20 L pressure cooker.
I'm gonna make a ring from some 1/4" copper tube I have and drill some 2mm holes facing downwards spaced about 30mm apart.
My BOP is only around 55L, do y'all think this will be large enough diameter for the tube to heat a mash volume of about 45L. I plan to upgrade to a pot of around 80L (20 gal) in the future. I'd like to build a steamer that will be able to handle that volume from the outset also.
I am still interested in building a stirrer to get an even temp throughout the mash avoiding hotspots, has anyone got both a steam cooker and auto stirrer? Is it worth the effort to build the stirrer too?
conk
JonB
Novice

Post by JonB »

I just use a big spoon and stir about every 15 min. Very easy and low tech. Particularly with corn, the mash won't burn. Just be sure to monitor pressure on the pressure cooker and have a safety release valve that points away from you.
conkers
Novice

Post by conkers »

Thanks JonB, I'll consider hand stirring if the auto build goes pear shaped
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

automobile windshield wiper motors are pretty strong...just a thought ...and relatively cheap at a salvage yard.
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
conkers
Novice

Post by conkers »

Yeah I've got myself one for $5 and I'm mucking about with it now :) The steamer is taking a bit of trial & error to get sorted tho... :crazy: