Pint's 6 gallon still plans

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pintoshine
Distiller

Pint's 6 gallon still plans

Post by pintoshine »

Here are all the templates in pdf format files:
template_6_gallon.pdf
(41.21 KiB) Downloaded 24875 times
template_12_gallon.pdf
(36.18 KiB) Downloaded 16762 times
template_page14.pdf
(41.69 KiB) Downloaded 9527 times
template_6_liter.pdf
(24.94 KiB) Downloaded 6157 times
template_ministill.pdf
(41.69 KiB) Downloaded 10130 times
12x18_inch_template.pdf
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 7216 times
Edit:
I decided, due to the popularity of the page 14, I put a full sized pdf page for it in a separate file at the same location. The template_ministill.pdf is the same as template_page14.pdf just in case ones did not know about page 14.
The new template has more detail than the page 14 because the scaling removed some lines that showed up in the larger sized page. Enjoy.
Last edited by pintoshine on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjnorcal
Novice

Re: Pint's 6 gallon still plans

Post by jjnorcal »

Pint, what gauge copper sheet do you recommend for the 6 gallon version? (I didn't see that mentioned here or in the PDFs).
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5604
I posted references to the copper of choice here
MudDuck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MudDuck »

Just throwing an idea out there but it seems to me that any of these patterns can be used with any size sheet/still by transferring the pattern to the metal with a Pantograph. And thanks for all the work you guys did, I'm going to have to give this a shot sometime.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

yes you are right a pantograph would work. In our modern age of computers the "SCALE" command in cad will do the same thing.

For instance. I made my next project to fit 4 one gallon stills in the space of a single 6 gallon. Cad made that possible knowing the relationship of linear scaling to volume changes on a cube. So to get a 1 gallon from a 6 gallon all I have to do is scale everything the cubed root of 1/6. or .55 and I have a new pattern. I did that this weekend and I have already nearly completed a 1 gallon boiler. It is destined for e-bay along with the 750ml one I sold last week. I use Intellicad and it is a god enough drawing system for me to layout sheet metal. If you want a copy pm me and I will give you a link to download a great free version. I also have a tutorial, for building the cone sections along with a spreadsheet to do the calculations for you available.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I have put together an excel spreadsheet to upscale all the major dimensions in increments of 0.1x up to 3x based on the 6 gal template. It calculates overall height, maximum diameter, the voulmes of the three main body parts and the total volume. This it gives you in litres, US Gal, UK Gal and sheng. Figures are shown in both inches and metric.

It shows you what the overall size will be so that you can pick a suitable scaling factor to apply to the 6 gal template. I did not bother with the arm as many folks might like to adjust that anyway to suit their own preference.

If you want a copy just pm me and if someone knows how to convert it to pdf and post it for others to use, please feel free to do so.

You still need to apply the chosen scaling factor to the template dimensions - I am not going to do it all for you :lol: but it helps you decide which scaling factor to use for the size you would like to build.

For your info the 3x size worrks out to be 63" high, 39" in diameter and holds 185 US gal or 701 sheng. :)
myles
retired

Post by myles »

Well I figured out how to do this. The pdf is spread over a few pages but there is a working summary at the start, so it is easy to see overall sizes from the scaling factors. Hope some of you find it usefull.
scaled_Pint_6_gal.pdf
(104.36 KiB) Downloaded 3983 times
Happy building
Myles
Endysis
Novice

Post by Endysis »

I know this thread is ancient... I was planning on building a six gallon version, but the PDFs were so lossy, I decided to redraw it in a vector format for printing on a wide format printer...
Template_page14 vector.zip
(219.15 KiB) Downloaded 3273 times
It's not perfect, but it should be really close. I'm not sure if anyone will be able to use this or not, but I would be happy to scale it to any sheet size, just PM me and I can send you the high res format of your choice :thumbup:
moneypiece
Novice

Post by moneypiece »

Any templates for a 10 gall? I've got a 3x4 sheet that's not big enough for a 12 gall!
Thanks!!
Brandon_Roth
Novice

Post by Brandon_Roth »

Thank you to share good information with us .
Brandon_Roth
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Ok I downloaded them all but when I try to print out the page 14 or the ministill it prints it all on 1 sheet of paper. I can't figure out how to scale it bigger. I have adobe reader XI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lol I am gonna make a miniature I guess if I can't get help on this.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Spankey wrote:Ok I downloaded them all but when I try to print out the page 14 or the ministill it prints it all on 1 sheet of paper. I can't figure out how to scale it bigger. I have adobe reader XI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lol I am gonna make a miniature I guess if I can't get help on this.
I think you're gonna' need a bigger printer.

Or go into the page size in adobe and set the print size larger, which will allow multi-sheet printing.

Or, ask a kid...they're quite "tech savy".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Ok its just these copies that have the problem I found another copy that bad all the pages printed out fine. But only for the 6 gal though. Still need to figure out how to scale it up to a 15 gal or so.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

To go from 6 to 15 gallons is 15/6 or 250% increase or 2.5 times the volume. Increase the dimensions of the 6 gallon pattern by the cube root of 2.5 or 1.3572 will give you a 16 gallon pattern.
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

I found full copies of the still plans for the 6 and 12 gal that will add them here.
template_6_gallon.pdf
(375.07 KiB) Downloaded 1475 times
Pint_o_Shine_12_Gallon_Copper_Pot_Still.pdf
(410.18 KiB) Downloaded 1641 times
Eckardt M
Novice

Post by Eckardt M »

Good day everyone, hope all is well.

I have a question regarding building the pot still discussed here.

Can I use a 50L keg as my "boiler" and just make the cap frustum with the Lyne arm?

Will the keg have the same benefits as the bottom and top Frustum?

Thanks

Eckardt
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

Eckardt M wrote:Good day everyone, hope all is well.

I have a question regarding building the pot still discussed here.

Can I use a 50L keg as my "boiler" and just make the cap frustum with the Lyne arm?

Will the keg have the same benefits as the bottom and top Frustum?

Thanks

Eckardt
The short answer is yes you can use a stainless boiler for your still, you can make the copper frustum, you can never have to much copper in a still.
If you go with a stainless boiler place a 4" 100mm or larger, triclover ferule on the keg and use copper tube to suit.
As an example if you have access to it go larger diameter copper tube, use 30-60cm of 100mm copper tube with a 100mm 90 or 45 degree elbow etc, and then continue with 100m then start reducing the diameter of the lyne arm to your condenser.
for the boiler you can make a chain of copper tube of cuts and chuck them in the boiler when doing any runs.
If you add a reflux column make it out of copper and pack it with copper spp or crumpled copper wire etc.
Initially stills where made from copper only because back then copper was plenty full, cheep, and easy to work with, nobody knew the many benefits to using copper in a still.
Eckardt M
Novice

Post by Eckardt M »

Thanks Decoy for your reply.

I can't really get 100mm tubing here where I live.
But what I would like to try and do is, get some 4" or 6" ferrules and make the straight sections (As attached picture without the glass) from copper sheet and use bubbles plates with that. And then put the cap frustum of the pot still on top of that. That is what I am planning. I am also not sure if there will be any benefit to adding the cap frustum.
If there is no benefit to that then I can get some imported 90deg sections to add at the top towards the lyne arm.

Will it be better to use copper mesh or the bubble plates?

I also don't have a slip roller, so rolling the round parts for the pot still is going to be a mission, that's why I thought of a 50L keg.

We are making Rum, I don't want to lose to much flavor like running it just as a reflux still and removing most of the flavour.

Just another thing. Why does a pot still look like that, tapered sections. Does the reflux still with out packing do the same thing as a normal pot still or is the benefits to having the tapered area's on the pot still?

Thanks for all your help[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201907 ... c8c5a7.jpg[/img]
Eckardt M
Novice

Post by Eckardt M »

Good evening everyone, hope all is well.

How do I join the bottom frustum to the top frustum?

I don't see a lip on the outside or the inside to put the solder on?

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

pintoshine made some videos on the construction of that still. Search youtube 'pintoshine still'

Its probably a slip fit. Can't remember.
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey