Deer Corn?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OldSchool87
Novice

Deer Corn?

Post by OldSchool87 »

Well I am from the South and needless to say hunting is huge down here. I have a pot still and one of my friends suggested I run a wash with the left over deer corn. I'm sure this corn is safe for human consumption. Would it be possible to produce some decent corn likker with this corn?
If you love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine.

"Jesus turned the water into wine. I turned it into Liquor." -Popcorn Sutton
Samohon
retired

Re: Deer Corn?

Post by Samohon »

The short answer is, "Yes"...
The Rules by Which We Live... wrote: Rule #3. Please use the "search" feature before asking novice questions. We're willing to help, but we're more willing to help if you take the time to familiarize yourself first.
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
OldSchool87
Novice

Post by OldSchool87 »

Sorry. I did search deer corn but I really didnt get the "yes" I wanted out of it. Dont shoot the noob! :oops:

Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

What I understand from reading is that the difference between deer corn and feed corn is that the dear corn is cleaner than the feed corn.
Supposedly it is just kernals, without any pieces of cob or other debris...
Should'nt have a problem using it...

Not shooting the noob here OldSchool87, in fact you are very welcome to the boards of HD...
I just felt that a few questions for your first few posts, without an introduction, was a bit much and the rules have to be stuck-by...

That said, Welcome to HD... There is a wealth of information here, usually, I rarely need to click off-site for anything I'm trying to find...

Have fun but be safe while you do it... :ewink: See you around... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
OldSchool87
Novice

Post by OldSchool87 »

Yes it's shelled deer corn. I guess we'll make a run with it and see what comes of it. Thanks!

Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

May I suggest looking at the UJSSM recipe. It would work good with that corn you have. While you are there you mite as well look through the rest of the tried and true recipes.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
OldSchool87
Novice

Post by OldSchool87 »

That's the recipe we looked at and that's when a friend suggested deer corn. We really have loads of this stuff and the season goes out at the end of the month here. So it looks like we'll go out with a bang this season!

Tim1216
Novice

Post by Tim1216 »

yea you should be fine. is there a tractor supply round your neck of the woods? i get 50 lbs cracked corn for 11 bucks there. just fer future reference :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

OldSchool87 wrote:Yes it's shelled deer corn. I guess we'll make a run with it and see what comes of it. Thanks!
If you shelled it there's a good chance it was air dried .Might want to check out if it will sprout .Could have some nice malt able corn .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
HillbillyTom
Novice

Post by HillbillyTom »

I was going to get the Tractor Supply cracked corn too. However, it has a preservative listed on the tag. Does this make it unsuitable for use in making corn whiskey?
Tim1216
Novice

Post by Tim1216 »

HillbillyTom wrote:I was going to get the Tractor Supply cracked corn too. However, it has a preservative listed on the tag. Does this make it unsuitable for use in making corn whiskey?
i got some ujssm fermenting now and its fermenting just fine, so we'll see how it turns out
Semper Fi
HillbillyTom
Novice

Post by HillbillyTom »

Cool, look forward to hearing how it turns out.
cornsqueezin
Novice

Post by cornsqueezin »

HillbillyTom wrote:I was going to get the Tractor Supply cracked corn too. However, it has a preservative listed on the tag. Does this make it unsuitable for use in making corn whiskey?
I have some of the craacked corn from Tractor Supply and it made some good stuff. It was actually a cleaner batch than what i got from the feed store. No bugs and stuff like that.
HillbillyTom
Novice

Post by HillbillyTom »

Thanks! More good info...I just know I read somewhere that if using stuff like that (animal feed, bird seed, etc.) to make sure it is perishable, implying no preservatives. It's like every other hobby...everyone has their opinion and experimentation is the key. Thanks again, off to Tractor Supply!
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

I see this is an old topic but would the Producers Pride Cracked corn from Tractor Supply suffice? Seems like just cracked corn. My fear is any preservatives. I've seen some say its fine, some so no way.
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

If you have a grinder, just buy a bag of whole corn $6/7.00 a bag No preservatives
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Frosty36 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:58 am I see this is an old topic but would the Producers Pride Cracked corn from Tractor Supply suffice? Seems like just cracked corn. My fear is any preservatives. I've seen some say its fine, some so no way.
I use It all the time.