keg still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

akrandy
Novice

keg still

Post by akrandy »

well after doing a BUNCH of reading on this forum i have decided to make a keg still. im going to buy the dual purpose tower that 40" tall from mile high distilleries then i went to lows to find a 1500w hot water heating eliminte and a spicket for draining when im done. if any one has some insight on my idea please let me know thanks
Last edited by akrandy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep shinning
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Re: keg still

Post by just-a-sip »

1500W isn't going to be enough to get the job done you need 2 1500W elements or 1 larger element (say 4500W) you can use 2 sep circuits of just the one larger one... but you wont be able to drive a keg on a single 1500W element.
Just-A-Sip
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

ahhh good to know i will buy a 4500w thanks for the tip
Keep shinning
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

akrandy wrote:ahhh good to know i will buy a 4500w thanks for the tip
Just understand that if toyr running a larger watt element like that you will need to use a larger amp circuit. I use my dryer outlet at 220 VAC on a 24 amp braker.
Just-A-Sip
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

ahhh so by going with the 2 1500w your losing 1500w from the 4500w is that going to make a big differnce in the distilling or just take longer to heat up?
Keep shinning
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

akrandy wrote:ahhh so by going with the 2 1500w your losing 1500w from the 4500w is that going to make a big differnce in the distilling or just take longer to heat up?
Idont think your getting the point exactly. A single 1500 w element isnt large enough to run a still you woukd need at a minimum 2 elements hooked to 2 different circuits. ( not 2 outlets, but two completely different circuits each having 10 or 15 amo brakers. ) or you can have 1 element on a larger circuit like the only your stove or dryer would run on.

See its not so much the element. Itself as much as it is the power it draws to run it.

This can be difficult for someone to grasp just starting out without having a good amount of electrie theory. My sugfestion is to do more research on electrical heating element hook ups amd read the heating element. Control thread as well before you buy and build.
Just-A-Sip
Sungy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sungy »

Edit: ya beat me to it.

I think what he is referring to is what power you have available to you.
example
Dryer 230 volts x 19.5 amps = 4500 watts
Wall plug 120 volts x 12.5 amps = 1500 watts per element, and therefore the need for two wall plugs feed from different circuits in your electrical panel. ( this is more for the apartment dwellers )
Less power is going to take longer to heat up.

I run 5500 watt element at 240 volts = 23.5 amps and takes 25 min. to take water from 50'F to boiling at 212'F also using a 15.5 gallon keg . Then run at 16 amps for production. That's 4000 watts for production. Hope this helps
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

Exaxtly sungy... im so bad at getting what i see in my head out in an organized instruction. Thanks for that help.
Just-A-Sip
Sungy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sungy »

no prob there...Im new to this to, so I understand how it is...
+1 on the heater element control threds
here is a few links to try...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3342
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=17383
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=26970

happy reading.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

yes thanks for the help im going to use the 4500w and plug it into my stove outlet
Keep shinning
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

akrandy wrote:yes thanks for the help im going to use the 4500w and plug it into my stove outlet
Just make sure u got yourself a good controller
Just-A-Sip
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ akrandy,

You are not going to be able to just plug a 220 volt 4500 watt element into your electric stove outlet. You are going to need to have a controller similar to a phase angle controller to manage the heat output of your 220 volt 4500 watt element.

Suggest visiting the New Distiller Reading Lounge and review the Phase Angle Control Modules thread for detailed information on building a PSR-25 based phase angle controller. There are numerous Forum Member who are using PSR-25 based phase angle controller to control their electric heater element. Refer to Forum Member MuleKicker Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:30PM posting for a simple detailed schematic drawing.

Regards,
Coaster
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

well konw i dont know what i want. just wish there was an easy anwser. seems every time i think i know what i want a new problem comes up.so for a keg heater is it safe to run 2 1500w that plug into a normal house outlet?and if i go the route with 4500w i will need to plug it into my stove outlet? but then i need to get a controler. witch is better? and or easier?
Keep shinning
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

More then likely you will need a controller of some sort to run either setup. You need to be able to control how much heat you put into it.

The easiest option is a 220v controller and element. A 4500w or 5500w element is a nice size for a keg. The problem with this setup is having a 220v 30amp circuit to plug it into where you want to run your still. Most houses the only plugs are in the kitchen for the stove. And laundry room for the dryer. This is the best option for quicker heatup times. And simplicity of connections. One element one plugin and one controller. And plenty of power to run what ever you want. If you feel the build is more complicated then what you want to do. Look in the classified section. MuleKicker can provide you with a great setup for this. All you would need to do is mount the element in your keg and add a plug to fit your plugin.

A 110v setup is a little tricky too. In the fact you need two plugins on separate circuits having two separate circuit breakers. One circuit breaker will not handle the load. Most rooms are powered by one circuit breaker. So you would need to run it from one plug in this room and one in that room. If you to this route and need a long cord. Make sure its a big one. Like a 10/2 or so for a cord longer then say 8 to 10 foot. 8 to 10 foot or below a 12/2 cord will work.
For a better example of this setup check out this thread I put together about mine.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=27967
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

awesome thanks for the info you have been very helpful.
Keep shinning