whiskeybear
Novice

building a half keg pot still

Post by whiskeybear »

hi guys, ok so im building a simple pot still, so far i have

sankey half keg

SS clamp and SS 2 inch threaded flange

one 2 inch female copper adapter

five feet of 2 inch copper pipe cut into 3 sections 36 inch, 16 inch, and 8 inch

one 90 degree 2 inch elbow

one 45 degree 2 inch elbow

one 2 inch to half inch reducer

two pieces of half inch copper refrigerant tubing, a 10 foot coil and a 12 foot coil

masterbuilt mb10 or mb15 (not sure) outdoor fish fryer. it is a type 1 and is adjustable (5psi)

im looking for some input from some of the more experienced guys, my 3 main concerns are is my column too tall? and should i use some packing of some sort in the column? and if my burner is adequate? now if i can figure out how to put some pictures up :econfused:

well i cant get the pictures up, they are not the proper size or some such crap.

i was going to put the 36 inch pipe straight up off the keg, to the 45, then the 16 inch, then the 90, and the 8 inch, reducer to the worm. so what do you think?
bear
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: building a half keg pot still

Post by Coaster »

@ whiskeybear,

Guess you are looking for plans for a Pot Still. The below reference is for Forum Member Samohon Pot Still plans ->

http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=12153

Regards,
Coaster
whiskeybear
Novice

Post by whiskeybear »

thanks coaster for the quick reply, i have that link. i haven't seen my design yet and would like to know if it would work or if its junk that's why i haven't seen it. and if my burner is good or not, i don't know the btu. i have it assembled but not soldered yet. i tried to put up pics but i cant figure it out :oops: my pics are too large
bear
midcarolina
Swill Maker

Post by midcarolina »

go here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 35&t=20255 and get the resizer then you can post pics.......I am not familiar with your model fish fryer......but as long as the half keg will sit on it securely it will work fine........
Three can keep a secret..................If two are dead!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sounds like your thinking something like what this guy just posted.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=28276

The hight is up to you. What fits your space. At the sizes we are working with a little extra height isn't going to make that much a difference. And putting scubbers in it won't make much difference either. If you see any at all? Maybe one or two in the bottom of the riser to help hold back puking if it occurs?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
whiskeybear
Novice

Post by whiskeybear »

thanks for the replies, well as long as having a tall column on a pot still has no down side i'm gunna run with it. :D

oh, and can i use a large fishing cooler as a carboy till i can find something more appropriate?

thanks

P.S. posting pictures are beyond my computer skills. sorry :esad:
bear