Storing fermented wash for distillation at a latter date

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grayp
Novice

Storing fermented wash for distillation at a latter date

Post by Grayp »

Typically my rum wash ferments in about 2 weeks and I distill right after that. Can I now wait several weeks after that to distill? Can I put the wash in the freezer and it remains in a state of suspended animation ? How will this delay in distilling effect the end product? Thanks
"I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!" - Senior Master Sergeant Hans Georg Schultz, Serial Number 23781
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Storing fermented wash for distillation at a latter date

Post by Prairiepiss »

Welcome aboard.

Please step over to the welcome center and give us a proper introduction. :thumbup:

This question has been answered so many times. There are a lot of variables. What the ABV is of the wash? What the wash was made up of? Bla Bla Bla. Generally the ferment can sit for a good while. Some things to prolong that time include. Racking to a secondaty fermenter (to get it off the lees) . Cooling (but not to the point of freezing.) Sealing it good after racking. Depending on many things it could last 1 month to 100 years?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Re: Storing fermented wash for distillation at a latter date

Post by rad14701 »

You definitely don't need to freeze your fermented wash and doing so would be inadvisable because freezing will cause the any remaining yeast to rupture, releasing unwanted components into the wash... There is no part of this hobby where using a freezer is beneficial if you are looking to make quality spirits... Freezing excess fruits for future use would be one possible exception, however...