Anybody have a good recipe for this?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: OX tail recipe

Post by LWTCS »

Yes my missus does.
I'll ask and post.....

All tails Tater? Or more like a stew with vegetables and so forth?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Anything :)
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Wish I could help out Tater, A friend of mine makes the best Ox tail stew, I'll have to try and get her recipe for ya.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
johnhopper1957
Swill Maker

Post by johnhopper1957 »

My dad makes the BEST oxtail soup, yellow split peas, onions, carrots and oxtail.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Low and slow tater. It makes a great stew or soup. Just tossing it in the crockpot with stew vegtables works fine. I used to make it for an italian restaurant. I'd flour it, brown it, and then slowly braise it for hours. It would have carrots, celery, onions. SOmetimes potatoes, sometimes mushrooms... and some herbs... parsley, thyme oregano all work. There are tons of recipes online...
this is the internet
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

junkyard dawg wrote:Low and slow tater.
Yes.
The thing is that ox tails are very oily. My wifes technique is to boil them first on med-low covered for about 4 hours. Then transfer them to a new pot of water to get them out of the grease that renders off.

My wife does a Caribbean styled version so the addition of a single Scotch Bonnet pepper to the new water is requisite.
Add salt and any other seasoning that you may prefer in the second pot of water.
She does not cut the Scotch Bonnet as it is just really good whole. If you cut to insure more carry over be very careful...If you are not gloved do not touch your face or your,,,,,,,,privates :shock: And washing your hands does not help.......but them peppers add such a nice quality for sure.
Some curry or jerk seasoning is a nice addition too.

Bring second batch of well seasoned water to a boil then reduce to med- low/low and simmer your ox tails for another 2 hours.

We don't usually do the veggies/stew....She just cooks a big giant pot and we eat with rice and peas prepared in a separate pot.

Add your veggies as you would for your prefered degree of doneness.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Browned in oil and cooked in slow cooker . Removed Removed bones and fat and added liquid back with cream mushroom soup ,dry onion soup and mushrooms.Cooked a bit longer and enjoyed over rice . tks for the tips.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Can run ya diesel truck on the fat ya can render outta them tails aye? :lol:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

There was more oil in them tails then one would think by looking at them.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Before I posted I had ask my wife about browning first,,,as thats what I woulda done too.

She says she boils em down so long that she doesn't think the browning really matters.....What was your take on browning your ox tails Tater?

I just love browning a bunch of meat (in bacon fat) and de-glazing my pot for the forthcoming stew ingredients with a beer or some wine.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Browning and boiling is different from browning and simmering or braising... The reason to brown some meats is to preserve the fats and moisture inside. Browning it seals it up. Then it cooks really low and slow and it stays super tender and juicy and really awesome if you do it just right. Lots of fat pools up... ya gotta deal with that...

I'd love to try how ya'll do it LW. Sounds really good.
this is the internet
Just4funguy30
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Just4funguy30 »

Funny, wish I would've found this before, I made some about a month ago for the bar/restaurant where I work. Browning the meat is always a good choice, it gives more flavor, braising is great for this too, maybe even better for flavor. I brown it all until bits are sticking to the bottom (fond) add my carrots, celerey, onions, shallots ect. & de-glaze. Scraping all the little tasty bits from the bottom of the pot. Fill it up with water & simmer it for 8 to 12 hours, this extracts all the flavor you're going to get. I never let it actually boil, boiling is a pretty violent process, & it forces impurities into your stock, & creates off flavors. You will get some scum & fat at the top of the liquid, I skim this off & reserve a bit of the cleaner stuff to mix with some whole butter & flour for my roux. I reduce it to about 2/3 of the original volume, strain, then add more veggies. I brown the roux by cooking it more, & add seasoning, let the simmer for 20 minutes, then add the roux.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but I cook for a living, this is the short version!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I usually prebrown the flour and have on hand.i put it into a cheese shaker and its ready when wanted.
for gravy,stews etc.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I never let it actually boil, boiling is a pretty violent process, & it forces impurities into your stock, & creates off flavors.
I agree. That's how I do my stocks. Never boil. My wife, she disagrees. She likes to boil her stocks ferociously. She believes that "off" flavors are flavors :roll:
I do all my own stunts
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

over here some cook it twice

once today and let it cool and bang it in the fridge
skim off the solid fat in the morning

cook it again maybe pull the bones out maybe not depending on the size of the tail.

you could also try ROO tail stew
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1703747.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
but they are a whole lot leaner (not much fat)
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

My brother refered to oxtails as "swingin' sirloin".

3 lb oxtails
1 LARGE onion coarsely chopped
2 large potatoes
2 carrots
1-2 stalks celery cut 1" pieces (on the bias, more flavor)
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes (I like 'Muir Glen' fire roasted)
(You use 12 oz can of tom paste, too much tom flavor for me)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt. Careful Here!
1 tsp oregano
3 large garlic cloves (I use more, garlic is to food as insanity is to art!)
1 tsp sugar

Sear the tails on all sides (searing seals in flavor, but also greatly intensifies the flavor) and remove. Add the onions, garlic, and celery, and sautee till the onions etc are soft and the goodness on the bottom of the pot is de-glazed. add tomato,pepper, salt, oregano, and sugar, and add water to cover. Simmer at low to medium for 3 to five hours (or longer!), till the meat is VERY tender. Make sure it does not go dry, you do not want the tomato to burn. (thats also why I use diced toms) Add the potatoes and carrots for the last 20 minutes or so.

Now, what I do is remove the tails and set till they're cool enough to handle, and then seperate the meat from the bones. (I cook them till the meat is falling off the bones), Then cut the meat into bite size pieces. Oxtails are extremely gelatinous, so, if you then put the meat in the fridge till the gelatin gels, the meat is nice and firm to the bite. But be careful! Do not heat up the meat too much or the gelatin melts and and its back like it was coming out of the pot. You can heat it to a nice eating temp without losing the gel. Strain off the liquid and off to the fridge with it too, the fat will coagulate nicely for seperation, but remember, theres a LOT of flavor there, so dont remove it all. The liquid will be like jello that you'd need a knife to cut, bring it to the boil with the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots, and, dinnertime.

I like coleslaw with this dish, and big hunks of sourdough bread.

This is my coleslaw recipe:

1 large head cabbage
2 - 3 (or more) carrots

1/2 C wine vinegar, red or white
1/2 C canned condensed milk (NOT sweetened)
1/2 C mayonaise
1/2 C sugar
(notice all the same)

1/4 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, and celery powder
(this is for starters, you can adjust later)
Kosher salt to taste (maybe a teaspoon, or more, of these powders and the salt, if its not enough, you can always add more, but if its too much, you're screwed.

First thing mix the condensed milk with the vinegar and let it 'clabber'

I run the cabbage through the food processor to get a size of cracked corn using the processor blade. Then feed the carrots through the coarse shredder. Squeeze the juice from the carrots a hand-ful at a time, and put it in a Large bowl with the cabbage. Add everything else and with a clean hand, mix thouroughly. This is the easiest way to mix. If its not juicy enough, add 1 TBLS each of the vinegar, milk, sugar, & vinegar till its like you like it. adjust the seasonings as you prefer, (just lick your fingers, man, no need to dirty more silverware) This stuff benefits sitting for a period to let the flavors meld. (while the oxtails are cooking, make the slaw, and have it all for dinner. Tomorrow.

-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
Just4funguy30
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Just4funguy30 »

maheel wrote:over here some cook it twice

once today and let it cool and bang it in the fridge
skim off the solid fat in the morning

cook it again maybe pull the bones out maybe not depending on the size of the tail.
I do that quite often since I like to cook all my stocks & broth longer than my shift lasts, just to make sure I get all the flavor I can. Crap, someone else wrote about skimming off the fat, but not all of it to keep a-lot of the flavor, I completely agree. I also use the fridge method as an easier way to clarify butter. Anyway, I cook it twice myself, & I make a batch of Demi-glaze every other week using the same method.

you could also try ROO tail stew
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1703747.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
but they are a whole lot leaner (not much fat)
Chef_Jason
Novice

Post by Chef_Jason »

Braised ox tails are one of my favorite things. No matter what flavorings and spices are used the key is in the cooking technique. Cooking school and years as a professional chef taught me a thing or two.

For maximum flavor you need a heavy pot, perferrably something oven-proof and cast iron with a lid. Preheat the oven to 350.

Pat the ox tails dry and season with salt and pepper. Get your pot good and hot and add a little oil (I use extra virgin olive oil for almost everything - but I'm a biased Italian). Brown the ox tails on all sides...deep brown not light brown. This is a pain since there are a lot of sides to deal with and they don't always stand up on the ends. Work in batches. If you throw too many in at once all of the heat is lost and instead or caramleizing they will simmer and look gray. Gross!

After they are all browned remove them to a plate and dump out most of the rendered fat. Add chopped up onions, carrot, and cerely. Once these and softened deglaze the pot with some (about 1 cup) of red wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up and dissolve all of the brown sutff stuck on the bottom of the pot. The French actually named this stuff, "fond". Then add some chopped garlic (4 cloves), a handful of quartered mushrooms, and about a 1-2 cups of chopped tomatoes (canned is fine). The reason for the tomatoes is two-fold. One, they will add color to the finished dish. Second, the citric acid in the tomatoes helps to break down the tough fatty tissue.

Put everything back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover. Throw in a bay leaf and bring to a boil. Once it boils put the lid on and throw it in the oven for about 2 hours. Why in the oven? You can do it on the stovetop but the heat needs to be lowered to barely a simmer. A lower temperature will melt most of the fat and leave very moist meat. If the heat is too high the meat will be tough and dry.

After two hours pull the oxtails out, onto a plate, and let cool enough to where you can pick off all of the meat. Using a ladel, skim off all of the fat from the pot. I prefer to make mine on the thicker side, almost like a stew, and throw in about a cup of barley. I boil this until the barley is tender and then throw the meat back in. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. You can add any dried spices you like.

Serve with a glass of wine, some crusty bread, and enjoy.