apple pie moonshine

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sasquatch

apple pie moonshine

Post by sasquatch »

i have heard alot about "apple pie moonshine" and how it tastes so great. I made an apple wine, put some cinnamin sticks in it. then distilled it..and it dont taste too great. how do you make the real apple pie moonshine??
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

nevermind, i ran another batch of the apple wine through..but this time i put some cinnamon sticks in the mash while i cooked it..it is damn good..then i added some vannilla and brown sugar to the finished product..i would recommend it..its good.

Post by Guest »

Sasquatch wrote:nevermind, i ran another batch of the apple wine through..but this time i put some cinnamon sticks in the mash while i cooked it..it is damn good..then i added some vannilla and brown sugar to the finished product..i would recommend it..its good.

Try using brown sugar and maple syrup sometime. Damn it is good.
stillbuilder
Novice

Re: apple pie moonshine

Post by stillbuilder »

Ok lets get back to the nitty gritty. Anyone have a really good recipe for apple pie shine? I found one in recipes but it was too sweet or something to me. However I tried an "off the shelf" apple pie and it was good so my recipe must need help.
15 gal keg with internal heat. 36"x 1.5" head. 2gal thumper. and a Graham condenser.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=25981

This is a good one. I used half apple juice, half cran-pomegranate juice and it added a nice tartness to it. But friends liked the original recipe better.
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

There are a lot of slightly different recipes for Apple Pie, I found most of them are weak on the alcohol so I usually double the amount. One of my wife's favorite drinks. I believe the one Dundrhead posted is closest to the traditional recipe.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Ditto to above. I also doubled the proof on mine (at least). :thumbup:
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you use apple concentrate as is is. follow directions but use alcohol instead of water .it wont dilute as much.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Bushman wrote:I found most of them are weak on the alcohol so I usually double the amount.
For sure. I dont know what the proof of my last batch is, but it has been sitting in the garage for over a year, with out refigeration. Hasnt spoiled yet. :thumbup:

Thats the thing about a shot. You want it to warm ya when you shoot it... Not taste like candy..... Ok, maybe both. :shifty:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=20346

I usually try and start with a quart of 160 proof white dog, but hold onto that for a sec. Now cook a quart of cider, with a half teaspoon cinnimon, third cup brown sugar, third cup white sugar. 15 minutes is fine .....cool it down to room temp, and then mix the white dog with the cider in a half gallon (preferably glass) container, you should have a half gallon of 80 proof now. Let it set for a month or so (sealed) . It will settle out by that time. carefully filter it through coffee filters into bottles , and enjoy.

*MK recommends a big ol' squirt of honey too * :wink:
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

gots ta have da honey.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Lol :thumbup: :thumbup:
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
madmace
Novice

Post by madmace »

"Apple Pie"
1/2 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon of apple cider
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 liter of 190 Proof Alcohol, Moonshine, Everclear or equivalent.

To get started, you need a large boiling pot. Add into this pot the apple juice, apple cider, the white and brown sugar, and the whole fresh cinnamon sticks. Bring these contents to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down to room temperature. Once at room temperature, gradually stir in the 190 proof alcohol. What you don’t consume in one sitting, you can bottle for later use. Store it in sterile Mason jars, place one cinnamon stick in each jar, and then store them in a cool dark dry place. After a couple of weeks your Apple Pie Moonshine will taste even better. This batch will make about 4 1/2 quarts.

1 gallon of apple juice
1 gallon of apple cider
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
1 liter of 190 Proof Alcohol, Moonshine, Everclear or equivalent.

This batch will make about 9 quarts.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

thats about 20 proof..
if you mix 1/2 and 1/2 it will be 95 proof,,thats why i use concentrate.
you can mix almost any strength you want.with in limits.
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

madmace wrote:"Apple Pie"
1/2 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon of apple cider
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 liter of 190 Proof Alcohol, Moonshine, Everclear or equivalent.

To get started, you need a large boiling pot. Add into this pot the apple juice, apple cider, the white and brown sugar, and the whole fresh cinnamon sticks. Bring these contents to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down to room temperature. Once at room temperature, gradually stir in the 190 proof alcohol. What you don’t consume in one sitting, you can bottle for later use. Store it in sterile Mason jars, place one cinnamon stick in each jar, and then store them in a cool dark dry place. After a couple of weeks your Apple Pie Moonshine will taste even better. This batch will make about 4 1/2 quarts.
You might also try 3 tbsp applepie spice (mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and at least one other but I forget what). And/or cut down on the white sugar to make it less sweet. The brown sugar adds flavor along with sweetness so I wouldn't cut down on that.

One question: does filtering through a coffee filter change flavor? I get weird looks sometimes when people see the mushed apple (from the cider) laying on the bottom. The look doesn't bother me but I have wondered if it makes a difference to taste. I may try all apple juice and no cider to see if that makes a difference also. Thoughts/experience???
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you used powdered spices you will never git it threw a coffee filter.well you can but it will take 100 filters..
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Dnderhead wrote:if you used powdered spices you will never git it threw a coffee filter.well you can but it will take 100 filters..
Thanks, I would never have blamed slow filtering on the powdered spices. That's another reason that an all juice and no cider mix is worth an experiment.
redc69
Novice

Post by redc69 »

so real apple pie shine , is not actuall made with apples it is just flavoring then right
redc69
Novice

Post by redc69 »

I guess you can make a mash with apples but it want be apple pie
BFunky
Novice

Post by BFunky »

I use the recipe that madmace posted, except I use 1 cup of white and brown sugar and twice the cinnamon sticks.
I also use my own shine made from a sugar wash, which is about 140 proof and I mix enough shine into the premade pie mix to get it to 80 - 90 proof, and everyone loves it!