strawberry moonshine???

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

strawberry moonshine???

Post by bigbuck »

its strawberry season,anyone have a strawberry mash recipe,or a strawberry fruite mix they may want to share :ebiggrin:
Washashore
Distiller

Re: strawberry moonshine???

Post by Washashore »

Never tried it, but This one is popular:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2199
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Washashore wrote:Never tried it, but This one is popular:

It works if you like a sweet drink,play around with how much syrup you add.
It is what you make it
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Ya, not a big fan of sweet. I just stumbled across this and thought I'd share (thanks to Blind Drunk for the link a while back):

http://boozedandinfused.com/2012/06/03/ ... -infusion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Washashore wrote:Ya, not a big fan of sweet. I just stumbled across this and thought I'd share (thanks to Blind Drunk for the link a while back):

http://boozedandinfused.com/2012/06/03/ ... -infusion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's just strawberry panty dropper.

If your wanting to ferment it? Just make a wine from it. One of the best wines I ever made was strawberry apple. Well I take that back this mulberry will be the best. When its done.

Or check out the Fruit / Berry Recipes thread in the tried and true section.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2196
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

with the right fruit wine makes a good flavoring.
id suggest making a "strong" flavored wine (dont try to make a high abv) then using it to cut/dilute with.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Personally, I'd opt for the infusion recipe over panty-dropper since its made with light rum and sugar isn't added. The vanilla bean and orange zest options also sound like they'd be good.

Let us know what you end up doing!
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

thanks for the advice,i have an endless supply of strawberrys right now and wanted to see if strawberry moonshine was any good,hate to see all of them go to waste
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Definitely use them from infusion. Strawberry wine if one of, if not the hardest wine to make while retaining good colour and flavour of the fruit.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

Ive heard the same about strawberry wine... that it's really difficult to make a good one... strawberries are abundant down here right now.. even though it may be difficult, i'm gonna give it a go as soon as my new carboys come in
South....waaaaaayyyy south bayou blood can be as potent as that clear stuff coming out the still..
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

add the strawberries to the secondary.(after the ferment has slowed/stoped)
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

Dnderhead wrote:add the strawberries to the secondary.(after the ferment has slowed/stoped)

secondary? you kick the ferment twice? or just rack it after it finishes and then add more strawberries to the secondary container with the wine?
South....waaaaaayyyy south bayou blood can be as potent as that clear stuff coming out the still..
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

ferment,,,rack,,add fruit,,,rack when finished.
you should rack it off trub as soon as it slows fermenting and the trub has settled..then add fruit..this can restart fermenting but...
dead yeast/seeds etc can add bad flavors.

the secondary should be slow fermenting,as co2 can "wash out" flavors.
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

trub? thats all the fruit, yeast and junk after it settles? if so, i gotcha fine brother :thumbup:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"junk after it settles"
yes you want it it off that as soon as practical.
after the primary ferment,,(about 1 week) rack
then add fruit,,there is enough yeast to kick the ferment off again.but this time you want a slower ferment.
if you want it "clear" then about once a month or when you see a buildup of trub rack again.repeat this until
as "clear" as you want.for wine this mite take many times (when you thank its "clear" do it agin),,for distilling any time after the secondary ferment.
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

good deal... after i get some more carboys in, i'm gonna go get a pile of strawberries and give it a go... along with some panty dropper :D
Boozed + Infused
Novice

Post by Boozed + Infused »

Hi there, I'm the blogger for the Strawberry Infusion from boozedandinfused.com
Let me know if I can help with the infusion if that's what you decide to make. :D
Frosteecat
forum scribe and editing bitch

Post by Frosteecat »

B&I....hope you take a look around the site. There is some INCREDIBLE knowledge here and lots of recipes from some serious veteran distillers and drinkers! :lol:
Which markets have you been hitting? I usually go to the Beaverton Farmer's Market, a stand off West Union and 185th or the mecca...Sauvies.
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
 William Faulkner (1897-1962)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

most berries/fruit is picked a bit green so it last longer in market.
"on the shelf" ripening will help but not as good as field ripe.
if you really want to knock your socks off pick some wild berries
or berries that reverted back to wild state.posably some of the
heirloom whould be good also.
Boozed + Infused
Novice

Post by Boozed + Infused »

Thanks Frosteecat, I am sure I can learn a lot from this site! I think it will take me a little while to navigate it.

As for markets, Kruger (from Sauvie) has a farm stand in my neighborhood that is open daily, year-round, so that is really convenient. My favorite is the Hollywood Farmers Mkt. They just started a Kenton farmers market 2 weeks ago, so I will take advantage of that for sure.

My family has a small farm and grow lots of berries, fruit trees, rhubarb, etc so i get a lot from them.

I love to get herbs and bottles from HomeBrew exchange.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Welcome aboard Boozed + infused. :wave:

Looks like you mite have some valuable impute around here.

It would be nice if you were to step over to the welcome center and give us a proper introduction. Let us know a little about yourself and your experience. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

Yep...my wife and boys and I usually hit Kruger's for a couple of summer concerts, etc. I've seen their stand in No Po but it's almost as quick to get to the island from my place. If you haven't been to the Beaverton Market, give it a look. It is early Saturdays and HUGE! I will look for the Hollywood one. There's also a garlic festival in North Plains every summer...lots of interesting infusions there. Maybe a garlic jepeno Bloody Mary?? We certainly are spoiled here in the lush Willamette Valley aren't we? Cheers!
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
GuyIncognito
Bootlegger

Post by GuyIncognito »

I just went to Kruger's farm on Sauvie Island this weekend, the strawberries were tasting pretty good but scarce (lots of immature berries, and I think the open patches had been worked pretty hard by the time we got there). If you are talking about the Kruger's stand on Hawthorne, we are probably neighbors :shock:
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

They've got one there too? You must be some kinda hipster, guy... :)
I cut my teeth at the Horse Brass, Space Room, BOG, Triple Nickle et al. Used to live off 50th by Franklin HS.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

7 5gal buckets to the barel. 1 sack of suger enough water to melt it. keep the cap puched down or it gona
come out. make sure you got a hole in your bag or it gona blow it off.
you makein wine cap them berrys an add 2 sacks. you cook it right an you gona no what
it is when you pull the cork.

so im tole
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think you just got the best recipe you will ever find.

Consider yourself lucky. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Getting ready to pick strawberries up north as well, we are known for strawberries and raspberries in fact after the war in Yugoslavia (at the time they were the largest producers in the world for raspberries) our county became the largest growers. I make a good raspberry liqueur and it lasts a long time as I am not a sweet liquor drinker unless it is an after meal event which doesn't happen often here!