Removing Preservatives from Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yttrium
Swill Maker

Removing Preservatives from Molasses

Post by Yttrium »

I bought 5 gallons of feed molasses a while back in hopes of making rum but so far I've found that the only thing its good for is killing yeast. I've tried adding 300 ml of this molasses to a wash that was briskly fermenting and fermentation stopped within a few hours. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has tried removing or degrading yeast killing preservatives? I tried boiling the molasses to no avail. Unfortunately I don't know what preservative is in the molasses because the FDA doesn't require labeling on feed grade stuff. Any suggestions on how to remove the preservatives would be appreciated.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

It's probably just got a whole lot of sulpher in it.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
leglessboot

Post by leglessboot »

I had a peach wine that had too much sulphur in it when fermentation was complete. This is because I had preserved the peach juice with metabisulpite. The result was a rotten eggs smell.

I tackled the problem by adding MORE metabisulphite. This precipitated out the sulpur that was causing the bad smell. Still some smell so I added some copper to the wine - short lengths of copper pipe - and within a few hours the smell had gone completely.

Not quite the same problem as yours but the copper might work. I wouldn't add more metabisulphite because it's a different problem. When I have had a similar fermentation problem due to too many preservatives, usually potassium sorbate, I have started the fermentaion again with just the sugar element and once fermenting vigorously I added the rest of it a litre at a time. That way the yeast was able to overcome the preservatives.