Mr P's Bubble Bumper experiment.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
retired

Mr P's Bubble Bumper experiment.

Post by Prairiepiss »

You've seen some of him being built. Some of you have seen me talking about him. So finally I would like to introduce the Fu Man. The Separation Fu is strong within him. First of three addons to my stilling system. I have designed all the parts of my still around a 12" section of 2" copper pipe. So I can swap pieces in different spots. The Fu Man is no different. He is 12" tall with a 2" inlet and a 2" outlet. Easy flanges at both ends. For easy movement between positions. He is 8" round and can support a whopping 800 ml of liquid. Before a change out of his drain extender. This distilling master can breath easily because he has a 2" vapor path from the inlet all the way through to the outlet. Which means he can take all you can throw at him. And not get restricted. The 2" vapor path is provided by 4 bubble caps made of 1.5" caps and 1" feed tubes. He should never get backed up because he is sporting a variable height 3/4" drain. He looks like an old wise man but he delivers a punch. And looks damn good doing it.

Without further adieu. I introduce The Fu Man.
1339380400-picsay.jpg
1339380400-picsay.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 26476 times
1339380456-picsay.jpg
The Fu man had a little incident Friday after final assembly. He fell off a 4 foot work bench. Landed right on top of his head.
1339380518-picsay.jpg
He now has battle scars. I think he may just keep them.
1339381421-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Elroy303030
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mr P's Bubble Bumper experiment.

Post by Elroy303030 »

That is very cool. :clap:
Did I read right, that is has a plate in it? Does it work kind of like a small flute?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ok after many last minute chores. I finally got to run the sacrificial alcohol run tonight. I used some feints I had left over. The charge ended up being 9.5 gallons @ 10% ABV. And I am very exited about how he ran. I ran him with a 12" section of packed column. So it was Fu Man and 12" of packing. That's one plate and 12" of packing. After a short 30 minute 100% reflux period. I pulled off 600ml of fores. And then switched to the parrot. And low and behold 90% and it was a flowing. I turned the coolant flow up just a bit. And he was pumping out 92% at my normal pot still speed. I cranked the coolant up a bit more. Just playing around really. Trying to get the feel of him. Got it to 94%. I timed the next 800ml. And I collected 800ml of 94% in 18 minutes. :shock: With the 12" packed extension in. I have to really work at it to get 94% and its at a drip or two a second. I can't wait to try him out with 24" of packed column above him. About 2/3rds the way through the 3 qt the ABV dropped like a rock down to 40%. I filled it up and shut him down.

Some notes that surprised me. The packed column reflux was dripping right in the center of my drain. More like pouring into it. I did not expect it to drain like that. I figured it would be more around the walls . Surprisingly enough the plate stayed full the entire run. Even though the column was draining right into the drain. But I will need to make some kind of diflector so all the reflux is mixing on the plate.

My 2700 watts ain't gona cut it. I need more power Scotty. I was nowhere near what this thing can handle. Just what I was shooting for. :mrgreen:

Ok this was only the cleaning run. I didn't get a chance to really play with it. I have two washes waiting to be ran. And just started 35 gal of rum. So I will have plenty of stuff to play with. I will report back when I do.

Just got to post this pic. Because its so damn cool. The Fu Man in an acid bath. :lol:
1339383384-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Elroy303030 wrote:That is very cool. :clap:
Did I read right, that is has a plate in it? Does it work kind of like a small flute?
I guess a one plated flute? :lol:

Yes there is a bubblecap plate in it.
1335318220-picsay.jpg
1335318174-picsay.jpg
1335627229-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Now for a question for the viewing audience.

I have the plate fed in and out with 2" the plate is 5.5" in diameter and the ball is 8" diameter. It is feeding a 2" column. So what size column can I claim this as? Is it a 2" plated column? A 5.5" plated column? Or an 8" plated column?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Here is some more of the build process. This is how I attached the 2" to the ball, I cut a hole with a 2 1/8" holesaw. I then flanged the 2" slid it out from the inside of the ball. I hard soldered it from the inside. The top outlet sealed good. The bottom inlet didn't. So I hit it from the outside with a little don't solder.
1339385505-picsay.jpg
1339385552-picsay.jpg
1339385604-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sorry I normally do a better job with documenting my builds. I'm a little all over the place with this one. :roll:

Here is some pics of the bubblecaps.

1" upcomer. I cut tabs and bent them over for the cap to sit on. And to solder them together.
1335236436-picsay.jpg
Here is the upcomer placed in the 1 1/2" bubble cap. From the underside.
1335236470-picsay.jpg
Here is a top view of the bubblecap. I drilled holes to solder through to the upcomer tabs.
1335236517-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

rockchucker22 wrote:Awesome job! I say 8".
Thanks. But I say. Thank you to you and LWTCS. Without your guys help and encouragement I couldn't have done it. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Here is the plate cutting and fitting.
1335128886-picsay.jpg
1335129044-picsay.jpg
1335129137-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I FREAKING LOVE IT. Bring on the creativity PP. Damn! Thats what I am talking about. How did I miss this? You didnt say you were an artist.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Frosteecat
forum scribe and editing bitch

Post by Frosteecat »

That's some great Yankee ingenuity there! I would say you are running a 2x5x8, or, if you want to do the median of all three, say you're running a " 5" Overall " column!

You could maybe "flange" a tripod of copper spirals out of the column to your plate area so you aren't dropping straight into the drain???
Maybe the three spirals would come from inside the upper column and angle to hang over the far edges of the plate...

I am also working with some spheres as I see the same potential for greater reflux/ABV with smaller columns. You've given me something to try and top now...good luck, huh?

Really nice work! Can't wait to see more...
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
 William Faulkner (1897-1962)
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Prairiepiss wrote:Now for a question for the viewing audience.

I have the plate fed in and out with 2" the plate is 5.5" in diameter and the ball is 8" diameter. It is feeding a 2" column. So what size column can I claim this as? Is it a 2" plated column? A 5.5" plated column? Or an 8" plated column?
The average size of the ball or balls will determine relation to overall diameter. Cubic Inch volume divided by height = theoretical diameter. The two inch can just be considered restriction devices that that have a greater vapor speed. The work, (refluxing) will be done in the expansion chambers. BIG BALLS.

Nice work PP
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Thanks MR. I guess you could call me an artist? I think of it as just having a Freeky mind. :mrgreen: And until now I haven't had the place to really work on the stuff. This one is just the beginning. Much better to come.

Frosteecat already working on something like that. :thumbup:

Some more of fitting the bubblecaps to the plates.
1335236625-picsay.jpg
1335236660-picsay.jpg
1335236706-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

How much headspace is there between the top of an upcomer and the underside of a bubble cap?
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Frosteecat wrote:How much headspace is there between the top of an upcomer and the underside of a bubble cap?
Approx 5/16". I was trying to keep the 1" pipe vapor path through that section. 1/4" would have done it. But the mount tabs take some space away. The puke gap under the cap is 1/4". This was to insure that a 1" vapor path was available.

While I'm at it. The downcomer is 3/4" pipe with a 1" cap on bottom. For a vapor lock. Then I placed a 3/4" Female sweat to female sweat fitting. The bottom of the fitting is flush with the plate. I did this to make the upcomer height adjustable. For further testing of deeper liquid levels. And to see how far I could push it to flood. Like I said I need more power. And I'm going to push this thing to the limit. I have two 220v 5500watt elements. And I'm not afraid to use them. :mrgreen: I just need to bring the 220v over to my stillin area. And build a controller. :thumbup:
Last edited by Prairiepiss on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Now back to pics.
Here is the plate built. You can see the downcomer in place.
1335318126-picsay.jpg
1335318174-picsay.jpg
1335318220-picsay.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

For those that haven't followed my other builds. This is what I'm using for a reflux condenser/dephlegmater. It's 7 foot of 1/4" coiled with a 2" path through the center. Encased in a 4" ball (tea pot). Above that is a 2 1/2" T capped off and a 1" takeoff to the product condenser. It has approx 13" of 2" column under it. This isn't going to be my final tool for this job. But its what I'm using for now.
1316383520-picsay.jpg
Delph build 2 crop.jpg
Delph build 5 crop.jpg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

So the drain pipe can spin up or down on a male fitting to adjust the level of flooding? Genius.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Frosteecat wrote:So the drain pipe can spin up or down on a male fitting to adjust the level of flooding? Genius.
No I can insert any length of 3/4" pipe I want to into the fitting. It would be like a slip fit.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It's getting late. I need to go to bed. But I will be adding more data as I get it. I have to make a metric shite ton of cookies tommaro evening for a picnic Tuesday evening. So I will be busy for a couple days. Then I can get some good runs done. I plan to get some video of the bubbling action. Will be posting them as I get them. I just tried to upload one. Couldn't get it. Will try latter.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bonjimmi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bonjimmi »

Now that is a cool looking rig PP. Bubble caps look awesome..... Gotta love big Copper Balls...! :thumbup:
You want me on that wall...... You need me on that wall...
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Looks like Humphrey Bogart should be standing under your rig. Nice.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

Really nice rig bubba!!! :thumbup:
South....waaaaaayyyy south bayou blood can be as potent as that clear stuff coming out the still..
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Holy crap. Very cool Mr. P. on my phone now, but can't wait to get home to have a better look-see. Well done. :clap:
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
jimmyjames1981
Bootlegger

Post by jimmyjames1981 »

haha i love the mustache!
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

Very nice Mr. P cant wait to see more of ur creations! :thumbup:
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Now that's cool, I don't care what others say! I LOVE the acid bath photo. You could use him for a cartoon script, "The adventures of FU MAN"

I salute you sir!
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Thanks guys. The adventures of Fu Man. :lol: I like it Bull. I will be adding partners to his adventures as I go. :wink:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
lickermaker
Bootlegger

Post by lickermaker »

o.k. so per your suggestion I'm gonna steal/ copy this ball plate idea. Mine will be a six inche ball with a four inch plate.
Lickermaker
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

lickermaker wrote:o.k. so per your suggestion I'm gonna steal/ copy this ball plate idea. Mine will be a six inche ball with a four inch plate.
Cool. :thumbup:

With a 4" plate you won't be able to fit the same bubblcaps I used. Maybe a 1" or 1 1/4" cap with a 3/4" upcomer? You will have to see what will fit. But I know from designing mine. The 1 1/2" caps won't fit on a 4" plate. Going with the smaller caps won't hurt you any. You just won't be able to throw as much power at it as I can mine. But should work great. I would stick with the 3/4" drain.

The other thing I would do a little different. If I was to do it again. I would make the upcomers taller along with the Bubble caps. So it could hold a little more liquid at low power. But so far I'm happy with the outcome. But I need to get some more runs through it. Different ways to really make a call on it. I can say from just the one cleaning run. It is defiantly a good addition to the still. And worth building.

Thanks to LWTCS for the inspiration to get the research working. I can't wait to see where this takes us. :thumbup:
Last edited by Prairiepiss on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss