Banana Moonshine

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

glennbtn
Novice

Banana Moonshine

Post by glennbtn »

After watching the telly I though I might try makine a couple of gallons of the banana moonshine.

Can anyone tell me what amount of ingredients I need to use as can't seem to find anything

Thanks
Tater
Admin

Re: Banana Moonshine

Post by Tater »

try a search .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bananas are 15 % sugar so without other sugar and nutrients it would probably take about a ton of bananas to yield around 14 + gallons of alcohol I'm guessing as I have never made it!

This is your first post, you should wonder over to the welcome center and give us an introduction :D
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

I once made a rum with bananas in the mash. It was about six medium banana in a five gallon mash and i didnt get any banana flavor come through. I wish i'd have done a banana infusion on some to compare to the original output but, it was still pretty tasty and i drank it too quickly :D
Keep the banana infusion idea in the back of your mind just in case :idea:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Somebody has been watching Tim and Tickle pretend to be Moonshiners... :lolno:
Nimrod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nimrod »

rad14701 wrote:Somebody has been watching Tim and Tickle pretend to be Moonshiners... :lolno:
I still just watch it just for tickle. You never know what he will say or do next.
QUICK! Don't CLICK HERE!

Please Click HERE to visit New distiller reading Lounge

RGB
Bro-sephus
Bootlegger

Post by Bro-sephus »

+1 Bushman

Oh man... those two yo-yo's are idiots. You can't respect a moonshiner who wraps his leaky lyne arm with a piece of TIRE innertube! No wonder Tickle is such a dummass! Spends all his time drinking plastic booze! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

glennbtn, go say hello to everyone and then get yourself some sugar if you want to ferment bananas. I've had alot of luck using brown sugar with the bananas for flavor. Treat it like a spiced rum for aging.
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends' nose.
qball
Swill Maker

Post by qball »

I cringe when I see them loading plastic milk jugs full of booze in the back of a truck!
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

+1 qball,

That's high-lairious! ;)

Kaboom!
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Glennbtn welcome to BE!

I almost forgot, I did a little searching for ya. Here is a banana brandy recipe for ya.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p6956784

80 lbs of bananas.
I'm goin the distance...
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

rad14701 wrote:Somebody has been watching Tim and Tickle pretend to be Moonshiners... :lolno:
Why can't I LIKE a post?

I made banana Rum. Twas OK, but the heads and Tails weree better in a "Spirit Run" that had about 4 or 6 batches of cuts in it......
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Nimrod wrote:
I still just watch it just for tickle. You never know what he will say or do next.
Tim: You been drink'n?
Tickle: Welp <Hickup> You know I have........

Cant help but like that polluted dumbass!
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

Hi, I am about to start my bannana brandy mash and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on how much yeast I will need if im trying to make 5 gallons. I have 8 lb of sugar 10lb of bannanas.
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

jch10 wrote:Hi, I am about to start my bannana brandy mash and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on how much yeast I will need if im trying to make 5 gallons. I have 8 lb of sugar 10lb of bannanas.
1 package/5 Grams of Lavlin D47 or E1118 seem to work the best for me. D47 is not as dry as the 1118.
Leave head space and do not lock down the cover for the first day or so or it will explode all over.
What a mess I had, amazing how far it will go.
Thanks, Ken
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

What about red star dry yeast? Will that work?
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

Will red star dry yeast work for my mash?
aj2456
Swill Maker

Post by aj2456 »

yeah it would work fine-

but the better yeasts work better (cleaner flavours and less methanol/ undesirables etc)

not saying i would never use bakers yeats but i dont personally - im picky now about the yeasts i use
Q: What do you call a scotsman thats given up drinking?

A: Dead
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

Thanks for your reply. Ive had my mash going for almost a week now but the airlock doesnt seem to show any signs of air coming out. Is that a bad thing or is it just very slow bubbles? And could the room temperature have anything to do with it foaming and actually working?
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

check yer FG, compare to yer SG
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

What is FG and SG?
WERAT
Swill Maker

Post by WERAT »

SG = Starting Specific Gravity

FG = Finished Specific Gravity

You need a hydrometer to check these.
WERAT
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

jch10 wrote:What is FG and SG?
It is a test ... both of the potential alcohol content in the wash, and if you have read the basic distillation techniques we ask all new distillers to learn.

The answer you seek is within these two values, and the magic device called the hydrometer.
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
jch10
Novice

Post by jch10 »

I found out what it meant. Just checked my mash after a week and still no foaming and the bannana is clumping up at the top and not breaking up. Any suggestions would be very helpful because now I am completely lost..
Doubler
Novice

Post by Doubler »

Could be done workin. What was you're wash temp? I did a rum wash (different I know) and the temp was lower than usual and it never really formed a head, just bubbled away and finished in about 5 days. I've never had a brandy take more than 10 days to work off. My temps are usually in the high 70s / low 80s. If its still bubblin let it go a little longer, if its stopped, taste it. It should taste dry, maybe a hint of sweet.
“I would rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy”
― Dean Martin
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

jch10 wrote:I found out what it meant. Just checked my mash after a week and still no foaming and the bannana is clumping up at the top and not breaking up. Any suggestions would be very helpful because now I am completely lost..
Without a hydrometer, you have no idea if the wash has completed, or if it has stalled for some reason. Nobody on the internet can help you with that. You will only know the truth when you run it - either you will get a good low wines or single run production, or you will get a poor result, meaning the wash never completed.

Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

Doogie wrote:
jch10 wrote:I found out what it meant. Just checked my mash after a week and still no foaming and the bannana is clumping up at the top and not breaking up. Any suggestions would be very helpful because now I am completely lost..
Without a hydrometer, you have no idea if the wash has completed, or if it has stalled for some reason. Nobody on the internet can help you with that. You will only know the truth when you run it - either you will get a good low wines or single run production, or you will get a poor result, meaning the wash never completed.

Ummmm not saying that's a wrong statement to make - but its not 100% accurate either. Long before the invention of hydrometers people ran moonshine far more complex than a fruit brandy or sugar wash. That being said - the hydrometer is a damn good tool to have! Taste and feel of the beer will also give you a clue as to when it is done - does it taste dry like a really dry wine? when its on your fingers and starts to dry is it still sticky? These can be helpful as well for when your hydrometer decides to jump off the kitchen table and commit suicide as so many tend to do! They are certainly worth the 7 or so bucks to have one on hand ;)
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

You are correct, but without knowing what SG/FG is, and if bakers yeast is usable, I am assuming that the old timers method of detecting a complete ferment may not be an acquired knowledge in this case. Plus we do not know if the poster overloaded the sugar, resulting in a stalled sweet wash ...

Not saying your wrong, just I do not see this being an option in this case :)

Ghost
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ghost »

:ewink: very true - and again, its worth the money to have a couple of them around
Forbidden in Heaven and Useless in Hell ....