Small Volume Corn Whiskey Mash Recipe

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ironwarrior
Novice

Small Volume Corn Whiskey Mash Recipe

Post by ironwarrior »

Hello everyone...
I have a friend who is new to distilling and wanted to help him out. I've been reading for the last few months.
He's decided to go with a pot still since making (aka) corn whiskey is his goal.
He's going to order one of those air locks from ebay and will soon start fermenting the mash.
There are so many recipes out there, I was hoping to get a known good one that would produce
one of the best flavored corn whiskey. Can someone please provide me with a good recipie with instructions..
Thanks... He has one of those large old style glass alhambra drinking water bottles that I thought would be great for the fermentation process... We will get a cork and stick the airlock in it.
While it is fermenting we will construct the pot still. My idea is to go with the Presto 6qt pressure cooker for the boiler and buy like 10feet of copper tubing and construct the worm within a 5 gallon bucket.
In my reading, that seems like the easiest way to go that will provide good results.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Small Volume Corn Whiskey Mash Recipe

Post by Dnderhead »

ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Awsome!!!! Thank you! Just what I need. :thumbup:
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

After thinking about my situation I thought maybe a smaller recipe might be better for me to start.
Does anyone happen to have a smaller condensed version of this recipe?
As a newbie I was thinking of using a 4.6 litre pressure cooker for my boiler.
I suppose I can still use this recipe, but thought maybe a smaller one might be a bit easier to work with.
Later when I expand to using a keg as my boiler, this recipe should be perfect.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am not sure you are ready to get started. You need some basic skills and some research for safety purposes.

First off 4.6 L = 1.21 gallons, so if the UJ recipe is for a 5 gallon wash you can divide everything by 5 to get the amount for your run. I am not sure a pressure cooker is the best boiler for distilling (just what I've read), also you need to leave room for expansion so say your run is now .8 gallons this will produce very little alcohol which will make cuts very difficult. Most here at HD use 15.5 gallon kegs but I would say anything under 5 gallons for a boiler is pretty tough.

Good Luck, I am sure you will get other comments.
PS the UJ recipe is a great one for starters and many of our members have that as there go to drink!
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

rad14701 wrote:Smaller does not equate to easier... :thumbdown:
Smaller actually does equate to easier in many differernt things, it may not in this distilling process.
What I meant to say was more "efficient" for the smaller setup I was planning on using. My thought was to start small making up to 1 gallon of drinkable product.
I also considered whether a smaller setup would be adequate for cuts as well. Smaller setup means limited cuts and this alone would counter act my plan of being more efficient.
In fact I suppose it would be ineffecient to go with such a small setup. Well, this is why I am here to receive feedback from those who have experience.
As for basic skills and safety, I wouldn't attempt distilling if I didn't think I felt comfortable. I have been reading for months now and still have not attempted
to construct a still or attempt making mash. I am one who always takes my time researching before doing any project... Being new my terminology is not at point with the experienced distillers.
But this will improve with time and experience. All the experts here were in the same shoes as me (a beginner) at one point right? :thumbup:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I run an 8 liter stock pot and that's the absolute smallest I'll go and for novices I'd recommend 12 - 16 liters, minimum... I learned on substantially larger stills...
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Thanks Rad...

I appreciate your info.
This is the kind of feedback I am looking for.
I will not waste my time then with the 4.6 litre pressure cooker and
will take some more time to locate a full keg and construct a 15 gallon boiler.
The folks I have seen so far using those integrate an electric heating element into the bottom.
Your thoughts on that? Would you go that route or just use a portable gas burner?
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Coming from a Mr. Distiller I know a little about the small volume runs. The only way I could get good cuts was to strip a 5 gallon wash in 6 runs(it was a 1 gallon still but it really only could hold 3/4 of a gallon or it would foam over). Then do 2 spirit runs, if you can call it that, on the low wines and make narrow heart cuts. I would never go back to that unless I had no other choice. It makes it feel like you are working 10 times harder for half the product.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

ironwarrior wrote:Thanks Rad...

I appreciate your info.
This is the kind of feedback I am looking for.
I will not waste my time then with the 4.6 litre pressure cooker and
will take some more time to locate a full keg and construct a 15 gallon boiler.
The folks I have seen so far using those integrate an electric heating element into the bottom.
Your thoughts on that? Would you go that route or just use a portable gas burner?
As Bushman said 5 gal is what most would consider the smallest. So if you could find a pony keg that would be smaller and still fit the bill. And if you use triclamp connections for the still. You could easily upgrade to a 15.5gal keg later on.

I am pro electric. So I would say yes electric is far better in the long run. Get a good controller and element. And your set. The upfront cost is more. But in the long run you should save money. If electricity isn't outrageous in your area. You turn it on set the dial adjust as needed. Turn it off when done. No bottles to run out. No open flames. Bla Bla Bla.

Oh yeah forgot. UJSSM it the best your gona find for simple reliable and consistent. Great for a new distiller. And a 5 gallon bucket for a fermenter works good for a pony keg. Two of them for a 15.5 gal keg. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ironwarrior wrote:The folks I have seen so far using those integrate an electric heating element into the bottom.
I'd go electric if at all possible... With an internal element you get ~95% efficiency whereas gas would more likely be in the ~55% - 65% range and not much better by utilizing a heat shroud...
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Thanks Prairie!!!! and Rad...
I appreciate you taking the time to provide your useful information.
Believe me I am tucking away everyone's recommondations away in my head.
I will probably be scouting craigslist for my keg. I found that site pretty helpful for stuff like that.
As for the electric element I will do some research on that one.

Now I was racking my brain trying to figure out what UJSSM meant...
Then I realized it stood for Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash Method. Now was this a test? :lolno:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Now was this a test?
Not the main test yet. Just a little quiz. :lol:

But so get you are doing good. Taking suggestions with an open mind helps a bunch. It will help you a lot in the long run. :thumbup:

Keep at it. But take your time. You will be making a fine drink soon enough. The more you learn up front. The easier it will be.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
sinkinskiff
Novice

Post by sinkinskiff »

Check the for sale stuff on here there is a pony keg listed . I've seen pics of it and if it doesn't go pretty quick I'm gonna see what it will cost in shipping to get it to outer nowhere since thats where I live. you might also want to think at least 20 feet of at least 3/8I.D. copper for your worm seems to take at least that much to really cool your product.
Take off the SAFETY WARNINGS and let Darwinisim thin the herd
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Thanks again all for your words of wisdom....

(Prairie)
Uggg ohhhh I hate tests... :mrgreen:
Thanks for your motivational words kind sir ...
Also like the pony keg idea with room to grow to the full size when I graduate and word gets around to my neighbors that they want me to keep them in supply ...hahah.. <Just kidding>

(Rad)
It sounds like electric is by far the way to go so that is what I will do.

(Durace)
Well noted, thanks for the feedback..
I think I will go with the pony keg size.

<Law Inforcement)
To any law inforcement reading this... <This is strictly for hobby purposes and I will be getting a legal license to produce ethanol>. So no need to come after me :ewink:

Anyone in Bluff City TN?
Here is a good deal on a pony keg with tap (Not that you will need the tap), but is an added bonus.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-FIND-ANHEU ... 2a20f573f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

If you don't mind doin a little cookin check this out.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7002946
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

BTW,

I would suggest a vary low profile. If you live in the US, there is no such thing as a hobby licence for distilling alcohol. It's strictly illegal to distill for drinkin purposes, unless you have a commercial licence.
I'm goin the distance...
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

MitchyBourbon wrote:BTW,

I would suggest a vary low profile. If you live in the US, there is no such thing as a hobby licence for distilling alcohol. It's strictly illegal to distill for drinkin purposes, unless you have a commercial licence.
Duly Noted...
I am just here to learn about how whiskey and other liquors are made for educational and personal interest.
I was just joking around of course when I implied that I would be producing for drinking purposes.
As for producing ethanol, it is legal to produce as your own fuel with a license.
That is what I will be doing. With the outrageous cost of fuel these days, what better way to help lower your cost right? :thumbup:
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

MitchyBourbon wrote:If you don't mind doin a little cookin check this out.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7002946
Now that looks like it would make for a smooth ethanol... My car will be purring like a kitten with that blend. :mrgreen:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ironwarrior wrote:Duly Noted...
I am just here to learn about how whiskey and other liquors are made for educational and personal interest.
I was just joking around of course when I implied that I would be producing for drinking purposes.
As for producing ethanol, it is legal to produce as your own fuel with a license.
That is what I will be doing. With the outrageous cost of fuel these days, what better way to help lower your cost right? :thumbup:
Once you've done enough research you'll discover that there truly is no real benefit in producing your own fuel ethanol on a hobby/personal use scale... We see this topic arise over and over again... You'll spend every bit of spare time, and perhaps more, fermenting and distilling enough ethanol for your vehicle... Another fact buried in the hype is that gasoline with ethanol get less mileage than straight gasoline... It takes as much as ~25% more ethanol to drive the same distance as 87 octane unleaded gasoline... Aside from the "Green" aspect, and I have my doubts about that as well, the benefits are minimal to non-existent...
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

rad14701 wrote:
ironwarrior wrote:Duly Noted...
Once you've done enough research you'll discover that there truly is no real benefit in producing your own fuel ethanol on a hobby/personal use scale... We see this topic arise over and over again... You'll spend every bit of spare time, and perhaps more, fermenting and distilling enough ethanol for your vehicle... Another fact buried in the hype is that gasoline with ethanol get less mileage than straight gasoline... It takes as much as ~25% more ethanol to drive the same distance as 87 octane unleaded gasoline... Aside from the "Green" aspect, and I have my doubts about that as well, the benefits are minimal to non-existent...
Sshhhhhhhhhh! Don't take away our excuse to obtain our license to produce our legal ethanol. 8)
"Officer, I am not drinking this stuff, it is solely for fuel purposes!" :moresarcasm:
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

I hope I'm not violating any rules here, but I ran across this lid
http://www.milehidistilling.com/lid-wit ... in-screen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This looked like it would be awsome for a keg.
The problem is that it is designed for a stainless milk bottle that is very steep in price.
If they had something like this though where you could cut this diameter out in the top of the keg
then weld an elevated circular lip around the hole of the keg. Then you could use this clamp
like shown to attach with a good seal and remove this lid from the keg for cleaning and filling purposes.

I'm just trying to juggle ideas in my head for creating the best keg setup.
Some I've seen didn't have a hole cut in the top at all and they just connected a 2 or 3 inch
column right to the original top hole of the keg. I wondered how in the heck they would clean it and fill?

On the other hand why buy a lid when you can just cut the top of the keg and use the top that you cut off for a lid.
Anyone have any links to videos or instructions converting these kegs to stills? I will check this site more as well. I'm sure you guys have some.
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Upon further reading within your forum I stumbled across a "Keg" section. There I noticed comments regarding whether it is suggested to cut out the top of the keg for cleaning and accessibility purposes, or just leave the keg alone in its virginized state. Most advised to just leave it alone and that it can be easily cleaned by just running water through the standard 2 inch flange. So to me it makes sense just to proceed with that recommondation. The next discussion was whether to go with a 2 or 3 inch column. For my purposes I think the 2 should work just fine. So now that I have those decisions made my next question is what type of condenser I should use.. I suppose since I am running a pot still and not reflux the cooling requirement would be a bit lower since I will not have the multible reflux situation going on. But on the other hand my way of thinking has always been to try to go a little bit above and beyond in some cases. In other words if there is not much more work involved or cost, why not provide a more efficient cooling system. Would a Liebig condenser be advised to use for a pot still? Lastly I was reading a bit about the electic heaters. Man with what I have read the articles were pretty complicated leading me to believe you have to be an electrician to go with this method. Anyone have any newbie articles that reference kits for this. Don't get me wrong I am pretty handy and have no problem drilling holes in the keg and following directions. But when it comes to wiring and electrical I am pretty green in that area.

Sorry if I am bugging you guys.. I am just trying to express what I have learned and get feedback from those of you who have already been in my shoes. Right now I am in the processing state and taking in information from as many resources as possible. After doing that I will make my descisions based on all of my info and hopefully make the right choices. My idea again is to create a pot still type of a head or column initially. Now my thought was creating one that could easily be changed over to a reflux head so I can use it as a combination.
Or perhaps just both, one with reflux and one without. My guess is to create one that can be easily adapted to do both. Less parts and less money. I am trying to think ahead in case down the road my usage preferences change.
ironwarrior
Novice

Post by ironwarrior »

Ok I got the hint guys.. You are tired of my posts. :lol:
Thanks for all the info though that you guys did provide.
Once I manage to get my keg, decide on my column head unit design,
finish all my fermenting , set a fire to my burner (Or apply heat to my heating element), and produce my final cuts
I will shout out to you all and let you know how it is. :thumbup:

Peace and happy distilling to all 8)
xxxsourmashxxx
Novice

Post by xxxsourmashxxx »

I have been using this method with a couple of variations. Thanks Unkle Jesse for the amazing sourmash method!!!

1) I used the basic sweet feed recipe as a base. Sweet feed is only $12.50 for 50 lbs and makes great whiskey.
2) I put 1 gallon of water back on my lees and take 2.25 gallons of water and heat to 160 degrees. Then I pour the hot water over 3 inches of sweet feed in a 5 gal bucket and steep for 4 hours. I then strain through a double layer of cheese cloth squeezing as much liquid out of the grain as possible. I feed the birds with the spent grain:) I add the liquid to the lees/water mix in my fermenter bringing the level to 3.75 gal. I bring it to 5 gal with the backset/sugar water(1.25 gal/6lbs sugar) If its a little short, I top it off with distilled water. (The lees = about a qt and I lose a pint or so water in the strain. Just thought I'd add that)

I will be running my 5th batch in a couple of days. It is producing some of the finest whiskey I have ever tasted. I only make whiskey for personal use, but anyone I have let sample my whiskey say it is the smoothest they have ever tasted and wish to purchase some, but I never will EVER sell my likker. I have given some away as gifts to very happy recipients though:) I have 4 quarts with burnt oak sticks in them aging. I can't wait to taste them in 6 months or so to see how the charred oak effects the note and taste of the likker. They are already taking on a beautiful amber color. I am thinking it will add a bourbon flavor. I am not new to distilling, but I am new to experimenting outside of corn, malt, sugar water and yeast. If anyone tries this variation on Unkle Jesse's already amazing method, please post about your experience and finished product. It really does produce a very full body and rich sippin whiskey. Thanks for reading.