240 \Volt Low Density Immersion Heaters

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

240 \Volt Low Density Immersion Heaters

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Guys
Can anyone out there point me in the direction of suppliers of 240Volt Low Density Immersion Elements.
Regards
Thepatchworkdoll
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: 240 \Volt Low Density Immersion Heaters

Post by Dnderhead »

most use hot water heater elements..i'm not where you are so cant help with the shopping.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

I got mine off of amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-02963-Heate ... 28-8681130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Washashore wrote:I got mine off of amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-02963-Heate ... 28-8681130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I have one of those too, works like a charm.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

There are two ways to approach this issue. You can get these "low watt density" elements - which are not actually that low, or you can use Power Management. I prefer to use standard 3kW 2.25" screw thread elements with a controller.

I just turn the power down low (500 - 700 watts) for the initial warm up period until the wash is circulating, and then turn up the power. The problem is the surface temperature of the element. When cold the wash is unable to dissipate the heat, so you tend to get localised flash boiling at the element surface. If you are going to get burning this is when it will happen.

Other alternative methods of wash agitation include steam injection and air injection. Direct either past your element and you should be able to warm up at a higher power level.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Just bought two at ace hardware yesterday.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

For the UK crowd we can also use the 3 phase option. Our domestic 240v supply is 1 hot wire at 240v, 1 neutral and an earth, but we also have an industrial 3 phase supply that is 3 hot 240v lines wired in star or delta with a common ground. The voltage between any 2 live wires is 400v.

So we can buy industrial 3 phase elements that have 3 heater cores in the same base, typically this is a 2.25" BSP threaded unit but they are also available with a 2" thread so don't order the wrong one.

If you were to buy a 12kW 400v 3 phase element and wire it up to a 240v single phase with all 3 heaters in parallel, it would convert it into a 4.3kW element pulling about 18Amps.

Now this is a higher total current than a conventional 4kW single phase element, but the current in each heater core has been reduced to just 6 Amps, so each element individually has a far lower watt density.

You can get them here: http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-11.htm
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the input. Managed to find them on ebay.
Regards
Patch

http://stores.ebay.com/NorthAmericaHVAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow