First run, testing proof and tralles

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grizz72
Novice

First run, testing proof and tralles

Post by Grizz72 »

Ok i did my first run of oat whiskey (from the recipe on the site (tried and true) everything went good and i just tested with a proof and tralles hydrometer here are my results, i ended up with 5 of the medium mason jars (maybe a pinte i am not to sure) i threw out the first 500 ml.

Jar #1. 80 PR and 40 TR

Jar #2. 104 PR and 52 TR

Jar #3. 104 PR and 52 TR

Jar #4. 94 PR and 47 TR

Jar #5. 70 PR and 35 TR

all of the above was tested at 60 degrees

now when i started i did not have the tralles hydrometer so i read an artical here in the forum that said if it burns in a spoon then its over 100 proof and if it burns on a plate then it is below 100 but more than 75 if this is correct then something dosent seem right because all of my jars burnt in a spoon i was collecting jar #6 when i got a different feel and smell so i was thinking that tails were starting so i collected another 2 jars as tails and shut it down. the whiskey taste great i am very pleased of the out come just not sure if i am reading everything properly, i am assuming that 80 PR on my hydrometer means 80 proof and the tralles is the amount of alcohol (40%) or is there a calculation that i have to do???

Thanks Grizz 8)
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: First run, testing proof and tralles

Post by Prairiepiss »

You are reading it correctly. This doesn't mean it calibrated correctly. You can test it using some known ABV/proof store bought stuff.

Pr is the proof.
Tr is the ABV%.

The burning thing as you web know no isn't highly accurate. But is close enough when you have nothing else.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Grizz72
Novice

Post by Grizz72 »

Ya I gotcha, so check the hydrometer with some store bought a calibrate it to the readings that I get.

Thanks allot
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

burning does not mean much..even wine will burn under the right circumstances.
Grizz72
Novice

Post by Grizz72 »

ok i checked the hydrameter with some store bought whiskey 40% alcohol and the hydrometer read about 68 proof and 28% alcohol could it be off that much????? :?

Grizz
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

68 proof is 34% ABV. Was this taken with the spirits at 60 deg f?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Grizz72
Novice

Post by Grizz72 »

The spirits were taken at 60 degrees, and yes you are right, the hydrometer was 68 and 34 I was doing two things at once, sorry about that

Grizz
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I've heard of some being off. 6% or 12 proof is a lot. The paper scale inside the hydrometer mite have slipped some? Who knows. If it were me I would check it against another store bought. And adjust my readings from there. Or get another one? They are cheap and its good to have a spare.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Grizz72
Novice

Post by Grizz72 »

Thanks for the reply, it is exactly 10 proof off and 5 % I checked it on another store baught and another hydrometer, maybe the paper slipped inside who know's anyways aslong as i know i am good with that but i will pick up a new one in time.

Thanks Grizz