Clawhammer Supply

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Clawhammer Supply

Post by Boda Getta »

Does anyone have any experience with Clawhammer Supply and their Pot Still Kits.

BG
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Clawhammer Supply

Post by HolyBear »

Since you haven't had a response,.. haven't ordered from em meself, but I remember folks having a good experience with em... hell give em a try and report back with the results, that's what we do...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

You spend several hundreds of dollars with someone you don't know without making any attempt to check them out??

BG
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I don't know anything about them but I did check out their website.

What you are getting is pre-cut bits of copper sheet that you still need to build yourself to make a pot still. Seems an expensive way to do it. Is that what you thought you were going to get?
Spamgel
Novice

Post by Spamgel »

I bought their 5 gallon kit a little over a year ago. The pieces fell together , everything fit perfectly. I would buy from them again if i had it to do over. Great way to get started.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Sure, I know they only sell kits. I may be able to buy the sheet cooper and come up with the templates, but considering the price of copper I'm not sure the price is way out of line. I did email the guy with a few questions and he was back to me within a couple of hours with good answers.
Still thinking about it. I'm running a 15.5 SS sanky w/ss column and just think the copper would be purty.

BG
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Hey BG, check this post... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p7025895 , maybe you could pm him about his experience?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
newengland
Novice

Post by newengland »

Noticed in the welcome section a couple of recent questions about Clawhammer still kits. I've built two: the 1 gal and the 5 gal. I like mine very much.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

if you decide to do the copper sheets and build your own heres a template you can print out and enlarge to any size you wish http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=27074
condo33
Bootlegger

Post by condo33 »

He walks you through the build with his videos. Has some other vids about making Apple Pie shine. Seems like a good sort. I would love to have the 1gal just as a sit around piece of art in the man cave.
Condo33
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

I think the guy really seems like a good egg. I think an all-copper still would be really pretty. Now the question is, for the price difference (which is not much) is it better to get the 10 gallon, or will a 5 gallon be good enough for a "first still?" I figure I can always put a mirror polish on it and use it as a decoration in the brew room after I move on, but do you think that even as a beginner, I would find myself wishing I had gotten the 10 gallon after, say the 3rd or 4th batch?
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

I have two friends who bought from them, and they are happy. Helped to build one, not hard at all. But.... if you buy from them, your name will be in their database, and be available to the FEDs if they ask (and they have, recently). Personally, I would (and did) build my own.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If you already think that. Then a 10 gal is what you should get.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Bigger is always better. Or so my ex tole me...
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

F6Hawk wrote:Bigger is always better. Or so my ex tole me...
:mrgreen: good one for the morning read

I've seen his videos on assembling his stuff on YouTube a while back. Looks pretty nice but not too hard to duplicate. You can order all the stuff you need from parts supply stores like McMaster. I'm pretty sure the claw hammer guy water jets out all the flat patterns, which would save you some time and math. None of the math to lay out a duplicate is all to hard and coppers a hell of a lot easier to deal with than stainless. Personally I'd watch the video and try to make it myself. Since you're going to have to buy copper in sheets and tubes, you'll have some scrap to play with and maybe make a couple other goodies to go with it. Plus you won't have your name on any list.

Just my .02 cents
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm not sure that you go on a list with the purchase of a Clawhammer still. What he ships is technically not a still - it's sheet metal and various copper fittings. I might be wrong - anyone know for sure?

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I like the look of the clawhammer deal but you can make it for 1/3 the price. Because it is a kit and not put togather I don't think they would keep rocords for TBB. They are not selling stills. I would def double check that if you decide to order. A vector version is a version that is changeable and printable that doesn not change what the print looks like or prepotions. HUGE HELP. Take that to your local sign guy and ask him to print it on banner material. More than likely his machine will be able to cut it out on his machine. You will have the pattern for ever after that. On the cheap he could cut it our of vinyl.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I'm not sure that you go on a list with the purchase of a Clawhammer still. What he ships is technically not a still - it's sheet metal and various copper fittings. I might be wrong - anyone know for sure?

Just sayin',
S-C

I am pretty positive you are correct. You don't buy a still from him so nothing is registered.

That's not to say Obama and the NSA don't have us on the side list they are sending to the IRS and the Eric Holder over at justice to keep tabs on us all for being on the internet right now anyway..... :wtf:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I'm not sure that you go on a list with the purchase of a Clawhammer still. What he ships is technically not a still - it's sheet metal and various copper fittings. I might be wrong - anyone know for sure?

Just sayin',
S-C
Good point, Cackles. It's just copper for a... flower pot or sumthin'.

Then again, everything we are saying here is being recorded by the NSA, and there are agents outside our doors right now, waiting to pounce...
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

F6Hawk wrote:I have two friends who bought from them, and they are happy. Helped to build one, not hard at all. But.... if you buy from them, your name will be in their database, and be available to the FEDs if they ask (and they have, recently). Personally, I would (and did) build my own.
As I am only distilling water and using them for decorative purposes I need not worry. I would of course, get all the permits I would need before ever distilling any alcohol. And besides, quoting from the feds.... "Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports." Which of course, I would do!
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

mannye wrote:As I am only distilling water and using them for decorative purposes I need not worry. I would of course, get all the permits I would need before ever distilling any alcohol. And besides, quoting from the feds.... "Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports." Which of course, I would do!
As long as you realize that stills, even for water, are illegal in certain states (regardless what the Federal regs say), and as long as you know what the TTB requirements are (many cannot meet them), then I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

F6Hawk wrote:
mannye wrote:As I am only distilling water and using them for decorative purposes I need not worry. I would of course, get all the permits I would need before ever distilling any alcohol. And besides, quoting from the feds.... "Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports." Which of course, I would do!
As long as you realize that stills, even for water, are illegal in certain states (regardless what the Federal regs say), and as long as you know what the TTB requirements are (many cannot meet them), then I'm sure you'll be just fine.

And know that the permit gives feds 24/7/365 access to your property with no advanced notice. Without the permit I can at least pretend that the govt will follow their own search and siezure laws instead of inviting them in.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
roger
Novice

Post by roger »

My 10 gal clawhammer still came yesterday and is put together and will be used in 2 days.
Wasn't hard to put together with the online videos.
It didn't come out perfect, with my hammering its unique and i love it. (They must build alot of them)
My buddy saw it and is ordering his today.
Bearded Distiller
Novice

Post by Bearded Distiller »

roger wrote:My 10 gal clawhammer still came yesterday and is put together and will be used in 2 days.
Wasn't hard to put together with the online videos.
It didn't come out perfect, with my hammering its unique and i love it. (They must build alot of them)
My buddy saw it and is ordering his today.

In the same boat. Started putting mine together yesterday. Not to complicated!

Hasnt gone together as smooth as the vid, but Kyle might make a few more then I do haha.
Attachments
CHS.jpg
ChairLawyer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ChairLawyer »

Bearded,
That looks like a puuuuurty Clawhammer build to me ... :thumbup:
Nobody said life was fair ... let alone easy.
OldtimeDistiller
Novice

Post by OldtimeDistiller »

F6Hawk wrote:I have two friends who bought from them, and they are happy. Helped to build one, not hard at all. But.... if you buy from them, your name will be in their database, and be available to the FEDs if they ask (and they have, recently). Personally, I would (and did) build my own.
Actually they sell copper templates that can be made into anything you want. It just so happens they can be easily made into a still. This is why they do not have to keep records or give your name to the feds.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Every time I hear there name I wonder if they play
down the neck

So I'm Tole